Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

To Banks or Not To Banks

After much discussion my wife and I have decided to keep our 1998 Tropi-Cal with a Ford 460 and a 98 body on a 97 f53 Chassis. I've just gotten the roof recoated, everything works, new TVs, Bluetooth stereo, getting the seats reupholstered, new graphics, some new paint. . . . The 6330 works fine for us, but.......

After searching for a suitable Toad we found that our 2013 Lincoln MKX can be towed 4 down. We were going to get rid of it but now we will keep it for that purpose, however I would like more power and I'm wondering about adding a Bank's system.

My mechanic, who is an absolute gem, will do the installation but he says I'll be wasting my time and money because it really won't add any horsepower and it will increase the noise up front. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience adding a Banks and Trans Command or something like them,to a similar system, if they really work and if there is extra noise can it be ameliorated?

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

Awful lot of money for very little gains.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

From older posts I've read the Tropical built by National RV was a fine quality coach. Also in older posts I've read that adding the Banks system to the Ford 460 really wakes it up and allows it to run cooler.

Good luck and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had three Banks Power Packs one each on a Ford 460, a triton V-10, and a GM 454. Best results were on the V-10 next was the 454 and last was the 460. Start with the 460 very impressive power increase but not much on the fuel economy, the 454 power increase was noticeable but not as much as the 460 fuel did get better. I figured I would recoup the cost in about 35,000 miles. The V-10 increase was incredible both in power and economy. Note that I keep my foot in it big time in all three. I pull a 24' cargo trailer with a car and a motorcycle as cargo. The 460 was in a 28' Jamboree class C, the 454 was in a 32' Thor Class A and the V-10 was in a 27' Conquest class C. I like the power and I believe you will get the power the economy will be related to your right foot. Yes the noise level is increased but just when you get into a downshift with a lot of RPM. Yes if you do decide to go with a Banks be sure to get a shift kit upgrade. I hate following an eighteen wheeler doing 65 and with the upgrade you can get around if you want. In the Conquest I could get around on flat ground no wind in 17 seconds pulling the cargo trailer fully loaded. Just saying. Richard
Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

I just had to post in another F4 Jocks thread.

Cleared Prime and Sync...
Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Awful lot of money for very little gains.
This is a tough call..

I believe Rkessells has the same early model V10 I have. On that early model V10 engine, the 2 valve, non-performance improvement (non-pi) engine had a very restrictive exhaust manifold system. Headers vastly improves the breathing.

When I repaired my broken exhaust studs, I decided to install the long headers mainly so I would never need to deal with the broken studs again. I seen a significant increase in power (I suspect 7% - 10%) and a 0.25 increase in mpg.

I priced Banks headers, they were in the $1300 range. I didn't want to spend that much money on headers. If I drove the vehicle full time, maybe, but a couple months out of the year, this was to much money. I found a set of stainless headers for F250/350 pickups. These were less than $300. Quality seemed OK so I ordered these.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

IMPORTANT NOTE - One of my regrets (I didn't think of it at the time) is to get a baseline for power.. It would be great if I could have done a "BEFORE / AFTER" on a dynometer, However I don't even know anyone who has access to one.

SO, What I proposed is doing repeated tests of 0-60 mph. Find a nice flat stretch of road that is flat, then floor it. Repeat the test AFTER, with the same stretch of road, same weight, same outside air temperature.

I didn't get any BEFORE, but I did several AFTERS, Fully loaded, pulling a toad, (about 22,000 lbs) I get 0-60 in 31 seconds.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
For my V10, the difference was better than expected. One of the best investments I have ever made in my motorhome, very happy with it.

You have a different engine and transmission, so you may or may not get the same results. I just wanted to let you know how it turned out for me.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Our old RV was a 1997 National Sea Breeze. It had the full Banks kit. Headers, exhaust, trans command. It really woke the coach up. There wasn’t any more noticeable noice up front, but the exhaust note out back was definitely more throaty. No real MPG difference but definitely a huge drivability increase not to mention curing the potential problems of the stock headers.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've has two Banks systems on my diesels. They did make a difference in HP and torque. I don't think you'll notice any economy difference, however knowing your rig is running cooler and breathing better may give with a piece of mind.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

In power and fuel mileage on the V10 it was worth every penny.
kstaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had several customers add Banks systems to their coaches. I don't remember a single one saying the mileage increased. What I do remember was the smiles about the increase in power. The Ford 460 and the Chevy 454 both had great increases in power with the Banks kits. The 460 got a 85 hp increase and 52% increase in torque. The 97 to 05 V10 engines got pretty good improvements, but by 2006 Ford had engineered most of the V10's power out of the engine and the Banks increase was not that much.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had one installed on a '98 Santara w/460. Made quite a difference in power but not mileage. But I don't think anything would do much for mileage on that engine
Was a little noisier outside but didn't notice it inside.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
What I proposed is doing repeated tests of 0-60 mph. Find a nice flat stretch of road that is flat, then floor it. Repeat the test AFTER, with the same stretch of road, same weight, same outside air temperature.
An OBD dongle and the Torque app will do all manner of acceleration performance stats. Uses a calculation of speed and G forces. Just supply a stretch of flat road.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Since the Banks power pack doesn't include any type of tuner, I would buy just the products that make that system work. They got their power from using long tube headers. Have your mechanic install a set of long tube headers (available from several companies) and a stock 5 ton truck muffler. Leave OFF the K&N and use the stock air cleaner.

The long tube headers and 5 ton muffler, will quiet down the coach, but add the power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote