RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

To Block or Not To Block

Hi,

Owner of Allegro MH, 35 footer, gas.

This is our first year wintering in FL for the next 6 months. Prior use of our MH has been short excursions.

While walking around this park we have noticed that most of the MH's have their wheels up on blocks and in some cases the leveling jacks are on blocks too. There are some MH that are not on blocks

So my question is for long stays should they be on blocks? Or are there pros and cons to either way?

Thank you

live4thedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4thedash View Post
Hi,

Owner of Allegro MH, 35 footer, gas.

This is our first year wintering in FL for the next 6 months. Prior use of our MH has been short excursions.

While walking around this park we have noticed that most of the MH's have their wheels up on blocks and in some cases the leveling jacks are on blocks too. There are some MH that are not on blocks

So my question is for long stays should they be on blocks? Or are there pros and cons to either way?

Thank you
If I understand the leveling jacks on blocks and perhaps the axles blocks for the tires are not sitting on the ground that makes sense to me. If you leave them parked for long periods of time they flat spot tires. Hope this helps.

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need more information for a good answer.

What kind of surface are you parked on? Concrete, asphalt, dirty, rock?

What kind of levelers do you have?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

If front tires are off I don't mind, my rears will always stay on the ground. I only will use blocks on front if I have to over extend them to get level.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #5

We are on grass. Packed hard though. The leveling jacks Atwood level legs.
Thanks
live4thedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No need for "blocks" per se, but a moisture barrier under tires is a good idea if the soil doesn't drain well. That's usually not an concern in Florida, where the sandy soil drains quickly and thoroughly.

Another reason for a block or pad is simply to help avoid sinking into soft earth. Again, not an issue just sitting on sandy soil, cause the sand compacts firmly. Sand ruts easily if you turn the front wheels or spin the rears, but just sitting still it is quite firm.

A third reason for adding blocks i s simply uneven ground, reducing the travel the jacks require to get level. Or doing the actual leveling, if the rig has no jacks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Always put the jacks on blocks. Gives the jacks more of a footprint and keeps the metal off of the ground.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Always put the jacks on blocks. Gives the jacks more of a footprint and keeps the metal off of the ground.
I always put wood blocks under my jack pads, too. I do it out of respect for those who own or maintain the site I am using. Any surface short of thick, hard concrete can get "dimples" from the jacks. I always want to leave my site as good as I found it (if not better).
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My jacks do not work properly so I use blocks (Ramps actually, custom made stair step type ramps) to level the coach, then extend jacks to stabilize, In cold weather I use blocks or pads under the jacks. because I've had jacks freeze to the ground... Quite a job breaking free.

But when I put blocks on 'em I've had the blocks freeze to the ground,,, but never to the jacks.. When that happens I drive off, get out my 8 pound sledge, tap gently and walk about 10 yards and pick up the now freed from the ground block.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My jacks do not work properly so I use blocks (Ramps actually, custom made stair step type ramps) to level the coach, then extend jacks to stabilize, In cold weather I use blocks or pads under the jacks. because I've had jacks freeze to the ground... Quite a job breaking free.

But when I put blocks on 'em I've had the blocks freeze to the ground,,, but never to the jacks.. When that happens I drive off, get out my 8 pound sledge, tap gently and walk about 10 yards and pick up the now freed from the ground block.
Ahhh! Block croquet. Great sport.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #11

We put blocks under our levelers to protect the surface they sit on. But putting blocks or anything else under your tires does nothing but maybe give YOU peace of mind if it's a concern for you. If you put wood blocks under tires and leave them sit for a long time, the tires will flatten on wood as well as concrete, grass, etc., if those tires are so inclined. Every tire guy and mechanic I have talked to has said the same. Tires are manufactured to sit on he ground. Dirt, concrete, grass or asphalt, they don't care and longevity will not be affected. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #12

We found some black cutting boards and used them under our jacks. They blended in and kept the jacks from sinking if it rained hard (this happened - once).

Since you're on grass definitely use something under the jacks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #13

Another reason some owners use blocks is to minimize movement of the RV when parked long-term, by minimizing the length of the jacks.
When parked on soil or sand, jack-pads will work down/settle enough to unlevel the RV and/or allow movement.
I use 16" sq "blocks" of 1" thick plywood under the jacks, nothing under tires. When parked long-term-> 3mos, I inflate the tires to sidewall-stamped tire pressure- as recommended by Michelin, Goodyear, and most other tire mfgrs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote