Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #1

To extended warrant or...

My wife and I have found the moho of our dreams. It's a 2009, loaded (for us)
This 42' Phaeton has everything we want. It has less than 7000 miles on it. It will be driven up from the west cost to Chicago. Your job, is to "school" me
in what I should be looking for, what questions should I ask, get an extended warranty? which one, with who??
I will be on the road soon, and hope to be part of this great collective mind.
I appreciate your best advice!

Thanks in advance.
ImanRVCowboy

P.S. Happy Trails!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires shouldn't need replacing as they are not old enough and don't have that many miles. You will get some good advise on things to look for on this forum. Just make sure that everything works and try to get any maintenance records you can.I didn't check my convection oven and it didn't work. Purchased mh from a dealer and he was kind enough to replace for me at no charge. Also didn't fill up or connect to water source and I had a leak that was under the shower area. He fixed that for me also. There are so many things to check you may want to have it inspected by someone that knows what to look for. They will charge for that service but I think it would be worth it. If dealer had not been kind enough to fix those things for me it would have cost me almost $1000 to have fixed. Just my $.02

Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

Much to consider here, but here goes. Not sure if this is your first motorhome or not however.

- Make sure you have all manuals for the motorhome, power train and appliances. Most can be located on-line if necessary.
- If you are buying from a dealer, make sure they check you out on all features. If buying from an individual, maybe they could help with the check out.
- Get all the service records you can. If no records, then you have some decisions to make on what should be serviced before the first trip, and what can wait.
- As you are headed to cold climate, make sure you are comfortable with the heating system, and what protection there is in the basement. Check out the Aqua-heat or gas furnace closely. Have a plan for winterizing it when you arrive in Chicago if you will not be occupying it.
- Service agreements are a business decision. I can make a case "for" or "against", and we all have different thresholds for risk. Consider that you are not familiar with the equipment and may not have the confidence in it that you might have in a year or so. I have A Good Sams policy but may discontinue it after one year ownership of the current equipment.
If you are new to motor homes, and tall vehicles, then route planning will be a consideration. Chicago has some off-interstate over passes that are not much over 12 feet.
- When traveling in new territory, the old military in me kicks in and I plot RV service centers along the way. That has payed off with me once or twice and saved me a towing adventure.

I know others will add more important considerations to this thread, but good luck and congratulations.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before I ever move the Motorhome, buy an extended warranty ( I have Good Sam and have used it and they are very good) That way if the Motor drops out or the transmission has a problem or any of many things goes wrong, you are covered. You can always cancel the policy later after you get to know your Motorhome. Is it cost effective ? Probably not. Do I sleep well at night knowing Good Sam will be as upset as me if it gives up ? Absolutely !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the Tiffin Family.

The Phaeton has had some problems with top rails and rotten wet bays. The factory at Red Bay will repair/replace them at no cost to the owner.

If you have the time take the free factory tour at Red Bay.

If you haven't already check in at the Tiffin RV Network and you can find a lot of new friends and information about Tiffins.

Tiffin RV Network

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There are a few known potential issues with the 2008 through early 2012 Tiffin coaches.

Rotting wet bay floor - Tiffin has two or three bays at their factory in Red Bay, AL, devoted to replacing the floor. This wouldn't be a problem on I believe a 2011 and newer coach as they changed the floor, but certainly could be in your model year.

Roof radius rail cracks - The roof is one piece fiberglass with 90 degree radius that attach to the side walls. The radius portion can start developing what appear to be hairline cracks in the paint. If not taken care of they will eventually crack all the way through the fiberglass rail, and in some severe cases the cracks can travel onto the roof itself. The fix is to cut the radius portion off of the roof, and replace it with aluminum radius rails. Again it's a big enough problem that I believe Tiffin has one or two bays devoted to this repair.

Rotting front driver's side slide floor - The leading edge of the front of the floor can start rotting. If caught very early it can be dealt with. However it not then a whole new floor is required, which means the slide has to be removed, and this can only be done at Red Bay.

My roof rails cracked and were repaired last year. I am having the wet bay floor taken care of this year. I haven't noticed a problem with the slide floor, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

You can get more information on the above by joining the Tiffin RV Network (not associated with Tiffin) Tiffin RV Network

Some or all of the above may have already been dealt with by the previous owner of your coach, but you might want to ask.

I know Tiffin is very good about covering the cost of these repairs for the original owner, but I'm not sure what their policy is for subsequent owners. If you want to speak to some one at Tiffin I would suggest Don Boyd, (800) 283-3922, don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Iman, I recently bought an 03 motorhome. I am now shopping for an extended warranty myself, just for that initial peace of mind and until I get to know the unit. I've talked to Good Sam and a company called Wholesale Warranties. They are pretty close on the annual price, but not on the deductible. I am still going through all the fine print to see which is really better for me. I contacted these two because there is another current thread about warranties and got some good feedback about both of these. Just an FYI on cost, I was quoted about $3000 from Wholesale Warrranties for 3 years with a $200 deductible and about $1300 yr for Good Sam with a $1000 deductible. At first glance EW is a much better deal, but i need to see if that is really the case yet. Oh, and one other thing, I was told because of the time of the year, winter is a better time to buy one... Whether that is true or not, I don't know.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Iman, I recently bought an 03 motorhome. I am now shopping for an extended warranty myself, just for that initial peace of mind and until I get to know the unit. I've talked to Good Sam and a company called Wholesale Warranties. They are pretty close on the annual price, but not on the deductible. I am still going through all the fine print to see which is really better for me. I contacted these two because there is another current thread about warranties and got some good feedback about both of these. Just an FYI on cost, I was quoted about $3000 from Wholesale Warrranties for 3 years with a $200 deductible and about $1300 yr for Good Sam with a $1000 deductible. At first glance EW is a much better deal, but i need to see if that is really the case yet. Oh, and one other thing, I was told because of the time of the year, winter is a better time to buy one... Whether that is true or not, I don't know.
Just as a suggestion you might want to give Wholesale Warranties a call, 800-939-2806.
If you should decide to call be sure and ask about optional consequential damage. This will provide coverage in the event of a breakdown of a covered part due to the failure of a non-covered part, or a breakdown of a non-covered part due to the failure of a covered part.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Because the cost of an engine or tranny could be over $10K, I bought a one year Extended warranty just in case. If no service records are available as in my case, gave me a lot of peace of mind. I used the warranty for a couple of smaller items so got some of my money back.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote