Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To first time buyers of a Motorhome

Its more than the same ole argument....gas or dp. I think you should think about something else first.

New or used, a motorhome owner has to have a different attitude than a trailer owner, or a stick house owner.

If you are thinking that owning a MH is going to be fun and exciting you are right...more exciting than fun maybe, because the thing that makes you excited might not be a good thing.

Think about it...the bottom half is designed to move, it needs to be driven. If it sits for long periods of time things go bad, things rot. The tires, the fuel, and anything depending on those two things.

The top half is "designed" to a point to move, but not really. How would your stay in one place house fair if it were subjected to a 70 mph wind and a 5.1 earthquake at the same time? Not so good I bet.

What I am trying to say is if you want the fun of owning a coach but you don't like problems, things breaking, needing replaced or repaired and you don't want to spend money for the above, you might as well want to climb Mt Everest and not like or want to get cold.

Now if you can understand the above, and are mentally prepared for it, than you can look a little closer at what is out there.

A low mileage used coach may have an interior that is in better shape (it might have been owned by one of those silly people who never used the bathroom because it might affect the resale value of the coach...but that is another topic that I will hit on later)

A low mileage used coach also has a higher price tag, but that is misleading, as I said a coach needs to be driven a minimum number of miles to keep its moving parts in good order, so if the average is low..look at it with your eyes wide open or maybe look at a different coach.

A high mileage coach has a smaller price tag but comes with its own set of problems...lots of loose screws in the house and other things like that. It is usually an older coach so the TV may not be digital, and some of the other essential things might be manufacturer discontinued, so ask the seller if he has contact info for parts (the manuals) and do a bit of research...online maybe.."if this page can't be displayed" shows up for a bunch of sites...maybe you should look for a newer model.

I think you get my drift....

Now if I have not scared you off then owning a MH is a very wonderful thing...it helps to make friends, lots of them. You may not be around them for long in one place, but you may see them again. The view outside your window changes every now and then, the frequency of that change is up to you. You will learn to be a more patient and hopefully kind person because you will need help one day to fix a problem you have or you will get the opportunity to help someone else. That's just the way it is in our world, a world that my wife and are are full time residents of.

Its an adventure for sure, and if that is what your crave, adventure, then I hope you find the MH of your dreams, better yet find a good one new or used because they are not necessarily the same coach.

Fuel is cheap now....take advantage of it!

Gramps.

ps...my wife loves the interior of our coach, I enjoy driving it...miracles do happen.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Good advise. Low mileage coaches does not always mean they have not been used though. Mine only has 5,300 miles on it but we use it many times for short runs to local deserts or up to the Sierra's. Engine gets nice and warm, tires get to turn and the box gets to rattle around, and things pop up that need to be addressed so one of these days everything will be perfect, and the bathroom is always getting it's use. Life is great and being able to enjoy a coach that you really enjoy is wonderful, new or used.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Not sure what your point was Gramps... Are you saying that owning a motorhome is like owning a milk cow and if you don't milk it, it is just a cow....That is very deep...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Well gramps, I bought a 15 year old Newmar Dutch Star with 68000 miles last May 2015 spent the summer living in it on the weekends, just drove it 2000 miles to though Texas pulling a jeep went though a ice and snow that V10 never missed a beat, The house worked great, the only time something breaks is my fault because I don't have a clue what the hell I'm doing. It was cheap and I'm tight but that machine is well made and thought out, My only worry is I hope I can keep the maintenance up. Point is It does not mater $500,000 or $20,000, Machines need good maintenance and an old one well maintained will last a long time.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
Well gramps, I bought a 15 year old Newmar Dutch Star with 68000 miles last May 2015 spent the summer living in it on the weekends, just drove it 2000 miles to though Texas pulling a jeep went though a ice and snow that V10 never missed a beat, The house worked great, the only time something breaks is my fault because I don't have a clue what the hell I'm doing. It was cheap and I'm tight but that machine is well made and thought out, My only worry is I hope I can keep the maintenance up. Point is It does not mater $500,000 or $20,000, Machines need good maintenance and an old one well maintained will last a long time.

My thoughts are not a rule, just a guideline built on a lot of stories I have heard while traveling and meeting people, including a lot of repair techs. Like with a car, looks and the odometer can be deceiving, and that goes both ways actually.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post

Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with what has been said. as a newbie, there are lots of things to know about your "house on wheels". the only additional thing I can add, would be find yourself a good mechanic. one close to your base of operation, one that is willing to take your phone calls when you are a thousand miles away with helpful solutions to your problems. some of us want to fix our own problems, and some of us are willing to pay a professional. personally, I cannot wait until the wife retires and we can start using our investment.
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

Good advice, Gramps. Many years ago I bought an 11-year-old car with 33,000 miles on it. The price was cheap, partly because of the age and partly because of some scratches on the hood and trunk. I thought I was really getting something. I did. For the next several years that car was a regular visitor at my mechanic's place, because every seal and gasket in it had dried out due to lack of use. For what I paid the mechanic and what I paid for the car I could have had a much newer car with the same miles and fewer problems.

Look for maintenance records on the MH, and talk to the PO if possible. Find out the true story. Then you will know what you are getting.

Enjoy the coach.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome