Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
To flap or not to flap, that is the question...

The MH I just bought does not have the large flap in the rear, which I assume is to protect the toad. It does have large mud flaps behind the dual rear wheels on each side, hanging down to about 8" off the ground. I am getting the necessary equipment to pull my wife's Honda Accord, and if it ends up with dings all over the front then I'm in BIG trouble! She thinks more of that car than me! Do I really need the large flap across the rear, or are the flaps behind the wheels enough? This is our first Class A and there's a LOT I don't know about it! Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2

354mbs cc

Yep your mud flaps will kick the rocks bounce and hit the car .I have an Accord to 1998 best car ever owned.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

All of ours came with the "Dirt Skirt" Our 09 Saturn is still in good shape as far as rock pings go. Remember, there are very few rocks on the road.....but a lot of them 2inches off the road.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe, we just added one of these to our moho. Rock Solid Protective Guards - Product - Camping World

Not sure how well it's going to work since we haven't been on a road trip since it was installed.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X 2 on the Rock Solid. There have been a few threads on this and the Rock Solid had very good reviews. I've had it on for three years and it has done its job of protecting our toad.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....I think you'll find that some hate the mud guards and some love them. I think on a coach like yours, they really look nice.

This company has the best price for replacing yours with what looks like the OEM flap. Rockguard - Monaco (2004-2010)

I've towed two differnet trucks behind my coach without an issue. I also use a bra on the trucks. You can buy a bra for about $90.00. I only leave it on the vehicle when I'm on a trip.

Stay away from the mud flaps with the dangling strips or mesh, they tend to kick up more debris than they stop.

If you decide to install one, the eyes should already be on the underside of your coach, or at least the holes will be there. Use the large metal caribeeners (sp) with the locking nut to install. The mounts on the mudflap need to be at least an inch farther to the outside of the frame mounts. This way the flap won't sway right to left as you drive. It should also be mounted about 3"-4" off the ground. You don't care about it dragging in driveways, just make sure its not dipping down and occasionally touching the road while underway....this is what causes rocks to fly.

When I park my coach at my house, I have to back up over a curb. I added an eye bolt at the bottom center of the flap and a mathing eye at the rear of the coach. I have a short chain with two "S" hooks on it that I use to pull the flap up and out of the way when I back into my parking spot or have an unusaul campsite where the flap might get damaged.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The previous owner of our coach towed a vehicle. The coach came ready to tow, including the big mud flap across the back.

The first 1000 miles of towing our beautiful Honda Pilot caused a tremendous amount of stone damage to it. The windshield was coated in gravel, and that was driving on paved highway! I might add that this was also with a Protect A Tow installed under the hitch between the coach and the toad.

I reported this in a thread on this forum, and was advised that the mud flap was probably hanging too low to the ground. When I measured the mud flap clearance on a level floor, it measured 1" - 2". I cut 4" off the bottom of the mud flap, and it hasn't picked up any more stones. The Honda has remained free of damage ever since.

So, I learned that the rear mud flap must have lots of clearance to avoid damaging the toad.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get one, you'll love it.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If she cares that much about her car, maybe you should get something your not as concerned about, that's what we did. We got something nice, but something that if it gets a little damage I won't freak out about it. I personally wouldn't use my wife's car for a toad, some things are out of your control. Remember, happy wife happy life.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Joe, we just added one of these to our moho. Rock Solid Protective Guards - Product - Camping World

Not sure how well it's going to work since we haven't been on a road trip since it was installed.
I would think that this one might be more effective since it is solid. Seems to me that the other one would let large objects through. Ultra Guard - Product - Camping World

Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would think that this one might be more effective since it is solid. Seems to me that the other one would let large objects through. Ultra Guard - Product - Camping World
I'm sure that one will work fine. The "flaps" on the Rock Solid hang close together, but allow easy access to the hitch, plug, and safety cable hookup. I guess it depends on how that stuff is set up on your rear, but for us the separate flaps work best for ease of hooking/unhooking.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for bringing this thread up as I also have typ. "mud flaps" behind the tires, but not the long flap at the rear of the coach. I tow a white Jeep Cherokee & at the end of a days driving, the Jeep's so dirty, Ya almost don't want to touch it. I usually ask c.g. staff where the nearest car wash is. I wonder if the rear mounted flap would stop this? Also, my wife just ordered a new Fiat 500 Abarth. After seeing that the 500's flat-towable, it scares me that the car will be ruined. If I tow it, I might borrow an enclosed trailer just to keep it clean.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two points, Joe.

First, make sure if you have a rear tailpipe it will not interfere with the mud flap.

Second, there is a theory (?) that the mud flap causes enough turbulence in front of it that you will need to clean your radiator more frequently. The theory is the fan will suck up the "stuff" the flaps stir up.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Two points, Joe.

First, make sure if you have a rear tailpipe it will not interfere with the mud flap.

Second, there is a theory (?) that the mud flap causes enough turbulence in front of it that you will need to clean your radiator more frequently. The theory is the fan will suck up the "stuff" the flaps stir up.
Hi Jim! The tailpipe on our coach sticks the side, also the radiator is on the side, so I guess that would not be a problem. Thanks anyway!