Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #1

Anyone bought a FRED? Looking at a Allegro Bay 38' with the FRED.

EJ
auburnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #2

Anyone bought a FRED? Looking at a Allegro Bay 38' with the FRED.

EJ
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have not bought one but have delivered some to customer who have reported back that they really like them. Of coarse they were Allegro's and I would highly recommend this brand if you are going to buy a FRED.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #4

Hi EJ,

I have had an 07 Allegro Bay 37QDB FRED for about 3 months now and I have about 6,000 miles on it. I had an 02 Allegro 35DA W20 for 5 years and put 57,000 miles on it. In my opinon it was a definite upgrade going from a W20 to a FRED. I have never driven an Allegro Bus for fear that I would never be satisfied with a puller again and I currently don't want to tie up that much money going to a pusher. You would have to make that comparison to see if the difference in ride and handling is acceptable.

I like the 37QDB floor plan. The main difference in 2008 and 2007 is that the LCD TV is moved to the wall back of the kitchen area and you loose some cabinet space there.

There are a lot of FRED owners out there. When I was watching ours being built in Red Bay, over half of the Allegro and Allegro Bays going down the line were FRED. The best place I have found to get feedback on FRED owners is on the forum at www.tiffinrvnetwork.com.
Good luck on your decision.

Fred
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredB:
Hi EJ,

I have had an 07 Allegro Bay 37QDB FRED for about 3 months now and I have about 6,000 miles on it.
Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fred, Do you have any MPG numbers on your FRED? I would be most interested.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #6

I've been averaging about 8.5 mpg where I used to get about 6.7 mpg with the W20. However, I generally set the cruise at 70 mph with the FRED and would set the W20 at only 65 mph.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks all... Thanks FredB for the link!!!!

EJ
Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
This is our first MH so I really don't have much to compare it to. It is a 2007 Gulfstream 38' FRED and I like it alot. Most interstate and turnpike highways here in Florida are 65-70 mph. I find that I am putting more hours on the generator than the FRED but even with the generator idling for hours at a time, while shopping, eating or napping the average is just over 7 mpg. It handles great and is not wind blown when passing or being passed by big rigs. Overall I'm very pleased with it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #9

My friend has one and he likes it a lot.
Internation500HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #10

We bought our FRED in May and so far I am pretty pleased. It is on a Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB. (we were not a fan of the 37QDB....more slides does NOT necessarily make a better layout!!) We have put over 7000 miles on it and have achieved fuel economy between 7.5 and 10 mpg. Oddly enough, the fuel economy seems better on roads that have long up and down grades. Could this be due to the impact coasting downhill? My only issues thus far is a sticky thermostat which seems to make us run as hot as 215 degrees in hot weather, and a noticeable squeak in the front end that Bay Diesel (Red Bay AL- near the Tiffin factory) says is bushings for which replacements will not be available until November.(??) Power and handling are pretty good. I met a bunch of people at the factory and did not meet one who was unhappy with their decision. The 2008 chassis have been upgraded to 340hp. I am not sure whether this change was made because of the addition of all of the new smog controls or not. I was told it is producing a lot more heat in the cockpit, though.
JosiesDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JosiesDriver:
I was told it is producing a lot more heat in the cockpit, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's going to be a consistant fact of life going forward with all diesel engines with 07/08 emissions and it doesn't get better going forward when the new 2010 emissions cut in. The heat although present is not going to be as apparent if the diesel is in the rear of the caoch.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would tend to disagree with DriVers statement, it simply is a heat transfer. The bedroom will receive the additional heat in a DP.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There were a number of Allegro and Allegro Bay FREDs that did have excessive heat in the cockpit. However, it really wasn't the result of the engine being too hot for the application. It was just some gaps in the insulation around the driver's footwell and dog house (Or what little remains of the doghouse on a FRED anyway). Once the owners or dealers sealed up the air leaks they were fine. I wouldn't lay that issue on FRED but rather on some sloppy sealant application by Tiffin. From what I hear, that's now been taken care of.

There's a large number of Tiffin FRED owners out there and every one I've ever talked to in person or on the TiffinRVNetwork.com forum really likes their FRED. I'd even go so far as to say that Freightliner enjoys a better owner satisfaction ratio with their FRED chassis than they do with their XC rear pusher.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #14

Yes, we have an '07 Allegro Bay 35tsb FRED and there is no heat problem in the cockpit. Our first RV, but the noise level in the cockpit doesn't seem excessive - we can carry on a normal conversation. Handles good, and we're getting 10mpg towing a 4300 lb toad.