Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
When connected to full hookups, grey is open and black is closed. When black gets to 3/4 full, I close the grey. Within a couple of days the grey is also at 3/4 or full. The tanks can then be dumped.

Repeat the cycle.
I roll the same way. When the grey valve is open the sewer hose is positioned to make a water trap, which prevents sewer flies from entering the grey tank.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Close the black leave the gray open

Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #17

Grey tank open, hose bib off when leaving campsite. We had a Sail boat,learned #1 cause of boat sinking is leaking plumbing when unattended with water supply on.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
As mentioned in prior post, I leave grey open and make a trap in the drain line, black always closed unless draining and/or flushing. Day of departure I leave grey closed for few hours to allow build up in there to flush drain hose before unhooking and storing. Best thing I ever did is drain hose set-up I have now with plugs/caps for either end of hose, put them on when unhooking and no mess what so ever to worry about in the compartment.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

I would think the "plumbing leak" situation you described, where the leak actually ends up being captured by the sewer tank system, is kind of rare. There are far too many situations involving malfunctioning park or city sewer systems that are more likely, as well as much more devastating. Accordingly, I prefer to keep both the grey and black tanks closed and dump them on my schedule.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
X2. Don't know why one would do any different. Thought this was SOP.
This is SOP with all of the full-timers I know. The black HAS to stay closed for obvious reasons. Closing the gray valve a day or so before packing up is a good idea. After the black tank is dumped the gray water will wash the dump hose a bit. But, in truth, nothing is nice and clean in the world of black and gray.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This is SOP with all of the full-timers I know. The black HAS to stay closed for obvious reasons. Closing the gray valve a day or so before packing up is a good idea. After the black tank is dumped the gray water will wash the dump hose a bit. But, in truth, nothing is nice and clean in the world of black and gray.

Rick Y
I have the black tank jet to clean with fresh water built into the tank as do a lot of the Class A MH I have seen. I installed a water faucet on the fresh water tank hose where it enters the MH and I can hook my clean out hose to that. I drain the black tank hook up fresh water the to jet and use that to clean the hose. I do not need the gray tank water for that and I just leave the gray water valve open until I am ready to leave.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I prefer to keep them both closed as the smell coming out of that pipe in the ground is not pleasant. The truth is, no matter how well or often we try to cover for the mistakes we make (such as not turning off faucets) they still happen! Yet if you leave one of those valves open I guarantee you that smell "will" happen and it may not be smell that "you" produced.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #23

I am thinking of adding an electric valve to the coach on the shore water inlet. I would put a switch in the coach to power it so that we have water from the RVpark only when the switch is on. This would be considered a safety device and we would then just turnoff the switch when leaving for the day or at night. Last thing I need is a flood in my coach.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Black Closed
Gray Open
Water ON

We did have a close call back ~5 years ago, we were getting ready to leave, actually locked the RV and started to leave and forgot something. When I went back in the toilet was on a continual flushing cycle which would have eventually filled the black water. I pulled the fuse to stop the electric toilet to find the problem, it was a short in the wiring. Fixed it and have not had another problem. I also recently rebuilt the toilet and it has a new control board that limits the number of water pulses.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimalberta View Post
I am thinking of adding an electric valve to the coach on the shore water inlet. I would put a switch in the coach to power it so that we have water from the RVpark only when the switch is on. This would be considered a safety device and we would then just turnoff the switch when leaving for the day or at night. Last thing I need is a flood in my coach.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.

I try to remember to shut off the water at the hose bib after seeing a RV having water pour out of it at a campsite several years ago . While I remember to shut it off most of the time, when I get back, I sometimes forget to turn it on, until I go to use the water and have none, then back outside to the hose bib.
To make it easier to do, I just picked up a 12v ball valve and a remote control with a key fob that I will hook up in the near future. That way
when I leave the coach, I lock with one keyfob and shut off the water with the other one. When I get back, just the reverse.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I prefer to keep them both closed as the smell coming out of that pipe in the ground is not pleasant. The truth is, no matter how well or often we try to cover for the mistakes we make (such as not turning off faucets) they still happen! Yet if you leave one of those valves open I guarantee you that smell "will" happen and it may not be smell that "you" produced.
Try this: I use a coffee mug of Walmart's cheap dishwasher power (it has enzymes) and baking soda all dissolved in a pan of hot then dumped down the hopper. I do this after each dump and at about 1/2 tank then dump at 3/4. If your grey stinks that is from keeping the valve closed and goop building up. Do the same solution for it. Having this stuff in the tanks as you drive helps much.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had similar problem. Someone (not me) left faucet running in bath and decided to come with me to walk dog. When we returned, water was flowing from underside of slides. We shut water off whenever leaving for over an hour.

Side note: while visiting our daughter in Altus in Jan temp got down to single digits. Fella next to us said he always runs water to keep from freezing. However, next morning, we looked over and he had ice hanging from all around outside his MH. He forgot to open his grey tank valve!

I always disconnect water line when temps go that low.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
If worse comes to worse and you leave the grey open and then find yourself short when it comes to flushing the hose, simply close the tank and put some water into it. Not really an issue albeit, a bit wasteful of fresh.

Tags
tank