Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your choice. You do have a very good tank wash system built in that cleans the hose for the most part. When getting ready to disconnect simply close the grey valve the day before and then flush your hose before you disconnect.

I have filled the shower a few times because I forgot to open the gray. If you haven't done that yet the chances are pretty good that you will. The first tell tail sign is the smell.

Rick Y
Thanks. I keep both valves closed all of the time and keep and eye on the gauges. Since the tanks fill at about the same rate I dump and flush the black tank and then dump the gray.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #44

I leave the gray tank open and black closed. I also let the sewer line dip down to create a trap so sewer gas from campground gets trapped and cant vent into gray tank and out through vent on the MH. I have been doing this for 3 years full timing and have had no problem.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I leave the gray tank open and black closed. I also let the sewer line dip down to create a trap so sewer gas from campground gets trapped and cant vent into gray tank and out through vent on the MH. I have been doing this for 3 years full timing and have had no problem.
x2 that idea!
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post

I keep mine both closed unless the washing machine is running then I'll leave the grey open just in case.
X-2, exactly.

There is no reason to leave the valves open unless using the washing machine which could fill the tank faster than normal.

Leaving a faucet open by mistake is simply that, a MISTAKE. Lesson learned and be thankful it wasn't a costly one.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #47

Perhaps another reason to keep them closed is to prevent a mess as a result of unseen damage done to your hose by animal vandals or mistakenly placing your hose to near an Oasis exhaust!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #48

Almost learned this lesson the hard way. Traveling with teenagers and before leaving the coach to drive toad into Yellowstone, I returned to coach to retrieve sunglasses from the back bedroom - yep, someone (could have been me) failed to realize that the toilet was running - valve not completely closed. Could have been very ugly and stinky for us.

We always turn water off at bib when leaving the coach for any significant amount of time.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever seen the add for useless toilet chemicals that shows the stinky RV ... 20 to one his valves are open.

I accidently left a valve open once, RV was just like that one, Stinky,, Closed the valve and within an hour the stink was gone.

That said, I have 3 tanks, on Tank #3 (Wash water) I do leave the valve open but the drain hose forms a natural water trap preventing sewer gas from coming back up the line, (The 3" stinky slinky I use for the other 2 tanks slopes in a smooth SLUNKY supported line, so there is not trap effect).
Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Keep both tanks closed unless doing laundry. With the electric toilets the black fills faster than the gray so I always will have gray water to flush the hose.

Seconds on the sewer gas backup. Some folks will leave a dip in the stinky slinky to form a trap but I do not want to do that. I prefer to have the hose empty.
That's what we do too.... an whenever leaving the coach for more than a short time, I turn the water off at the bib.
We too had an incident a few years back. The faucet in the bathroom vanity was not quite shut entirely and there was a small drip that went unnoticed... that is until we got back many hours later to find wet carpet. Since then, when I leave, the water is turned off at the bib.
I will be installing a remote control electric ball valve in the supply piping in the next week or so, then I won't have to go out to the hose bib. Instead, I'll just hit the remote control to open/close the valve. I picked up the parts and have them working on the workbench, I'll just splice them into the line next time I'm working on that area of the coach
Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
That's what we do too.... an whenever leaving the coach for more than a short time, I turn the water off at the bib.
We too had an incident a few years back. The faucet in the bathroom vanity was not quite shut entirely and there was a small drip that went unnoticed... that is until we got back many hours later to find wet carpet. Since then, when I leave, the water is turned off at the bib.
I will be installing a remote control electric ball valve in the supply piping in the next week or so, then I won't have to go out to the hose bib. Instead, I'll just hit the remote control to open/close the valve. I picked up the parts and have them working on the workbench, I'll just splice them into the line next time I'm working on that area of the coach
I can tell that freezing is not on your mind. When we leave the coach for a day or so I shut of the bib and pull the hose off on both ends to drain it. We were 400 miles from the rig this Christmas. The temps here in OR got into the 20's . Propane furnaces kicked in to keep the coach and basement warm. No freeze ups.

When we got back we had to wait most of the day for the bib to thaw out. That is another good reason to keep water in the tank. DW would have been all over me if we were totally dry.

Stay warm and dry. Happy New Year and many happy trails.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #52

PanJh
That's a great idea and there are some 12 volt ball valves available on the market. Will it be necessary to ground fault that ball valve to prevent potential shock?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #53

All of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Keep both tanks closed unless doing laundry. With the electric toilets the black fills faster than the gray so I always will have gray water to flush the hose.

Seconds on the sewer gas backup. Some folks will leave a dip in the stinky slinky to form a trap but I do not want to do that. I prefer to have the hose empty.
Ditto. The electric toilets tend to change the equation. But I do open thw gray if we are doing multiple loads of laundry and do shut off the water if leaving for any length of time. Belts and suspenders, I guess.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:01 AM   #54

iRV2 No Limits Club
keep my line hooked up all time had tanks pressure backwash cleaned yesterday 13 years of use not to bad grey tank worst and most eveil smell jim said do not leave open and showed how to dump corectly god lesson for me

Tags
tank