Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
To keep holding tanks closed or open

I know this topic has been widely discussed, but had a situation develop today I never anticipated. We are parked at our favorite RV park in Boulder City, NV for the holidays. I had the black tank and grey tank valves closed as I usually do and is the standard practice.

The park had advised us that they had a bad valve in the water supply line and our water would be off for a few hours while they replaced the valve. We were preparing to go shopping and DW thought she needed to fill the dog's water dish, so she opened the kitchen faucet to get remaining water in the line into the dogs dish. Since water supply was off, she forgot to close the kitchen faucet. We went merrily off on our shopping trip.

When we returned, water was flowing out of the motorhome everywhere. I ran to the supply and shut off the water. There was about an inch of water on the floor. When water was turned back on in the park, the kitchen faucet poured water down the drain, filling the grey tank and grey water backed up into the shower and poured out onto the floor.

Luckily, the water drained out quickly. Our coach has been remodeled with marine grade subfloor and has hardwood floors. Damage was minimal. It will dry quickly in the desert.

So, I may consider keeping the grey tank valve open when connected to park facilities. But, I'm convinced keeping the black tank valued closed is a good practice.

Al & Sue w/T-Bone & Rosco
Go Devils Bus, 1994 8.3 Cummins, Spartan Chassis
Climbon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
I keep mine both closed unless the washing machine is running then I'll leave the grey open just in case.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
When connected to full hookups, grey is open and black is closed. When black gets to 3/4 full, I close the grey. Within a couple of days the grey is also at 3/4 or full. The tanks can then be dumped.

Repeat the cycle.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
I know many people that when setup for extended periods leave their gray tank valve open and have no issues. As you said, never do that with the black tank. One thing I do if leaving for a long day exploring is turn off the water to my rig just in case I spring a leak while gone.
John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2008 Ford F350 6.4L CC SRW
2012 Cardinal 3030RS - B&W Companion Hitch
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another suggestion is to shut off the water at the hose bib when leaving the CG. We always did.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
We rarely have full hookups but when we have them I leave the grey closed and dump it every couple of days. I make sure to close it a day before leaving to assure enough to flush the drain hose.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
When connected to full hookups, grey is open and black is closed. When black gets to 3/4 full, I close the grey. Within a couple of days the grey is also at 3/4 or full. The tanks can then be dumped.

Repeat the cycle.
X2. Don't know why one would do any different. Thought this was SOP.
Jack & Beverly
1999 National Tradewinds 7371; Cat 3126; 6 Speed Allison; 7.5 KW Onan; Freedom 20
2012 Nissan Versa on a EZE Tow
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
X3 ... and I bet, after that story, that will be SOP for EVERYbody! \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
...I had the black tank and grey tank valves closed as I usually do and is the standard practice...
As noted earlier, I think you will find the standard practice is to close the black and leave the gray open. There is no advantage to closing the gray.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
One Downside

There is one small downside.

Sewer systems can sometimes get pressurized and vent gas back into the RV Gray Tank, which then exits the roof vent.

Very rare and quite smelly I was told.

But I still keep my gray tank open!

2014 ShowHauler 45'
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
brunsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #11

I have always feared the grey rank filling up and back flowing into the coach. Although I prefer to keep the grey water closed to use to flush out after the black tank I do tend to keep the grey open when at full hookups.

I hope all turns out well for your coach.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
+1 Gary, and +1 Cliff... We never leave the units without shutting off the water at the bib. Have had freinds leave the water on leave, and come back to their unit with same bad results. Not a nice way to end the day. Never had a problem leaving the gray open. When it's time to move on just close gray day before and take a long hot showers... Nice!
2 of us + 1 rescue, Sadie (not sure who rescued who)
Toad: 11' 2dr Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Fit Sport
11' Bay Star 3302,11' Alpine 3555RL 40' 5er
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Keep both tanks closed unless doing laundry. With the electric toilets the black fills faster than the gray so I always will have gray water to flush the hose.

Seconds on the sewer gas backup. Some folks will leave a dip in the stinky slinky to form a trap but I do not want to do that. I prefer to have the hose empty.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
As said above, I always close the main water supply off outside before leaving.

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S
LouieL is offline   Reply With Quote