Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I farmed for years and never once wiped the hydraulic cylinders. No problems with them either and there isn't anything dirtier than farm work.
I agree with this. I have had my current tractor for a lot of years. I do not perform maintenance on the front end loader cylinders themselves. I make sure to leave the bucket on the ground with the cylinders fully retracted.

As far as dirt issues. I spent several years working in a steel mill. The amount of dust generated every day is more dust than the average motorhome will see on components in a year. Everything imaginable at the steel mill worked on hydraulics. There did not seem to be problems with dirt getting into the seals and destroying them. I agree with the posters that recommend using silicon spray so that you dont have an oily surface atracting dirt to be on the safe side. But that is just my opinion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #30
Commercial Member

check the hwh website. at the bottom of the page, there is a section labeled frequently asked questions. this should be read by all who posted here on this issue. there is very little you can do to hurt the jacks, except drive off on them.
maybe this will finally put the question to bed.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
check the hwh website. at the bottom of the page, there is a section labeled frequently asked questions. this should be read by all who posted here on this issue. there is very little you can do to hurt the jacks, except drive off on them.
maybe this will finally put the question to bed.
The information supplied on the HWH website may apply to the current generation jacks and possibly to older systems. However this is not the same information that has been dispensed by the company over the years.

When we went to the Winnebago GNR in 2006 I went to an HWH seminar. At that time WD40 was frowned upon and all but forbidden. The process in vogue then was to wash them down with a soap & water solution then spray them with a non-petroleum based silicone spray.

In 2008 I went to the same seminar and once again WD40 was not recommended. At that time they said it could be used as a cleaning agent but should be wiped off and again dry silicone was the recommended lubricant.

This may be an evolving process or the materials they use in the construction may differ over the years. In any case the cleaning and lubing process has certainly not been written in stone over the years.

As for construction and agricultural equipment not needing cleaning I certainly agree. However there is a big difference in the way the cylinders are constructed. Most use miltiple scrapers to clean crud off the cylinder before it passes the seals. They are also duoble acting cylinders powered in both directions. There are several hundred to several thousand pounds of hydraulic pressure moving the rod and piston not 50 - 75 lbs of spring pressure on the return side
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Goes to show the debate is not just at our level... :-)
I always go with the component manufacturers requirements and recommendations as I figure they know the equipment best.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
Commercial Member

the cleaning process is an evolving conversation around the campfire. i know the man who gives the winnebago seminars. he has always maintained the the jacks never need cleaning. there are some circumstance, where both cleaner, and lubricant should be used. its in the manual.
what he doesnt say is that its your jack, you can use almost any lube or cleaner. it wont hurt the shaft or seal. the older shafts, back to 1967 are american stainless steel. the newest shafts are nickel impregnated steel. neither will pit or corrode.
the founder and president, also the inventor of the jacks, says wd40 or atf.
ive installed and worked on hwh jacks since 1973, and worked for hwh the last 14 years. i have always followed his direction.
when i do a dealer or a coach owners seminar, i tell them the same as i say here, that wd40 is a good cleaner, not a lubricant, use it, and wipe it off, or not, its thier choice. and if you do lube, use atf and wipe it off.
there is little that you can do to hurt the jacks, except drive off the straight down jacks. the best way to keep your jacks working is to use them often.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #34

I have found that when the jacks don't retract all the way, it usually indicates low fluid in the reservoir.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
Commercial Member

low oil will not affect hwh jack retraction. they are a one way cylinder with a spring retract. the tank could be empty, and the cylinder will retract. low oil only affects double acting cylinders.
by the way, the seals are neoprene, not rubber. the bushings are also neoprene. the solvent in wd40 will not affect the seals in any way.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #36

On our 2003 Endeavor, when the jacks start getting slow to retract, it means that it is time to lube the grease fitting on the side of the rams. If I remember correctly the manual says to lube (grease) the fitting once a month. Otherwise I do not do much with the rams themselves.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #37
Commercial Member

you have power gear jacks
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
you have power gear jacks
Yes, guess that they are easier to take care of!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #39

Been around these hyd jacks for 50 years. don't use WD40 atracts dirt and can make them leak. I have cleaned these type jack and it helps them move better and prevents leaks. Had a leak and they wanted to change the electric clinder. Cleaned it and with hyd fluid and haven't leaked now in over five years.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trn the page View Post
Hi, all We are now full timing :laugh. Question about HWH jacks. Front jacks would not go all the way up without some Manuel pushing, my question is has anyone had this issue, what could it be, if a lube is needed what kind??? Thanks for all your help. 2011 tiffin allegro bus 43ft. Power glide
My HWH manual states no lubrication on the jack shafts. Being a farm boy I remember we always wiped off the hydraulic cylinders with an oily rag. Didn't soak them, just wiped them off. I wipe my HWH cylinders the same way. 10 years old and still lifting the old rig up every time and retracting when I press the stow switch. Cleanliness is the key to long life. Including human life.. Have fun. Seeya on the road..

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks