Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In days of old when she was bold my wife used the oven in the house.. She has NEVER used the one in the RV, When I got our first microwave she was scared of it. (Radiation don't you know) now... Well that's what she uses.

ME: I like to cook, and much of what I cook won't fit in the smaller micro/convection ovens, fits well in the Wedgewood RV unit though, Fits better in a full size one but alas that won't fit in the RV.. Made two cheese cakes so far this month.. Yummie.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I don't know why so many people think that a microwave/convection oven isn't "a real oven." An oven is just a hot box; there's no magic to it. Convection ovens are just ovens with fans and a heat source that heats the air being blown through the box. We have a GE Profile Microwave/Convection oven and it is in use every day, often several times in the day both as a microwave and as an oven. It holds temperature as well as any other oven. Right now we have a fish fillet baking in it. We like to cook and even have a large toaster oven that we can use for those meals where you just have to have two ovens!

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Just our 2cents. Our last Class A had a Micro and a Stove/w/ Oven. I think i may have used the Oven maybe 2 times we had that one for 11 years. We bought a 2012 Tiffin used with only 4600 miles and it had the Oven that was a s/Order. If we had our choice i would have liked the space below for pots and pan's. I love the C/O.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
TGR

I have had an oven in all 4 of my RVs, and wouldn't miss it if I didn't have an oven. When we full time I will probably want an oven.

We use the oven for storage
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We opted to not get the oven, haven't missed it at all as we have a GE Advantium convection/microwave.
Same here. It was on our list of do not wants...use where the oven would be for storage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. I'm the total opposite end of the spectrum here. We have an oven and I wouldn't be without it. First having a propane oven is great while boondocking. Allows me to bake and roast to my heart's content in the boonies without ever having to switch on the inverter and drain the batteries. Second I just love the flexibility of having two ovens -> the propane and the convection/microwave.

So for us having an oven is a must. Would never be without it!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
The oven is where I hide stuff I don't want my wife to find.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #22

I use our oven every trip, almost daily. Prior to departure, I make casseroles in disposable pans and freeze them. Then it is just a matter of thawing and baking. If we are plugged in, I use the C/M for veggies or bread. If boondocking, I use the stovetop. I found that putting the 6" ceramic tiles on the tray over the heat source helps with heat distribution. If the DH or DD's catch some salmon, then we grill it. I do like baked goods a little better in the C/M, but the tiles really help the outcome in the oven as well. However, the extra drawer space would be nice.....too bad we cannot have both! It really boils down to how you plan to use the motorhome.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by uphere View Post
I use our oven every trip, almost daily. Prior to departure, I make casseroles in disposable pans and freeze them. Then it is just a matter of thawing and baking. If we are plugged in, I use the C/M for veggies or bread. If boondocking, I use the stovetop. I found that putting the 6" ceramic tiles on the tray over the heat source helps with heat distribution. If the DH or DD's catch some salmon, then we grill it. I do like baked goods a little better in the C/M, but the tiles really help the outcome in the oven as well. However, the extra drawer space would be nice.....too bad we cannot have both! It really boils down to how you plan to use the motorhome.
Ditto plus another perspective. We are F/Ts and are living in a colder climate this year. We have an oven and C/O. We use our Eden Pure heater to keep from using so much propane for the furnace. However, we cannot run the C/O, heater, and coffee maker or toaster at the same time with a 2000 watt inverter. Those all run off of one leg of the 50 amp service. Which, I understand is normal. So, your electrical needs should be considered before you eliminate the oven option.

Also, consider if you will dry camp very much. If so, you will be able to save your house battery power as well as fuel to run the genny.

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a TT and now a class a. Both have ovens. We use the oven to cook store bought pizza...turns out great. But if we didn't have it, I doubt we would miss it either.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Ok. I'm the total opposite end of the spectrum here. We have an oven and I wouldn't be without it. First having a propane oven is great while boondocking. Allows me to bake and roast to my heart's content in the boonies without ever having to switch on the inverter and drain the batteries. Second I just love the flexibility of having two ovens -> the propane and the convection/microwave.

Couldn't agree more! For me (the DW), I think it's all just a matter of preference. I absolutely hate cooking but I really enjoy baking and bake 90% of our meals at home and in the TT in the oven. When we were TT shopping, my main requirement was that it had an oven. Maybe I'm just "old school" at the age of 26 Convection ovens kind of remind me of adult sized Easy Bake ovens so maybe my dislike of convection ovens stems from my childhood when my mom took away my Easy Bake oven because it was deemed a fire hazard We'll never know but my advice is to stick with what you like/feel most comfortable with and what you use most at home.

Lindsay
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post

We are also part of this small group. We like having both the micro/conv, and the reg oven, and use both. We are full time.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not only boon docking

All of our RVs have had an oven. I'd lose the microwave /convection before I'd lose the oven.

How can you make biscuits & gravy for breakfast without a proper oven? Especially when boondocking?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
We are happy with a M/C oven. Our previous motor home had a gas oven which we almost never used. We now have a dishwasher in the space which is where I store my dishes.The racks are great for that purpose and prevent clinking while traveling. I wash my dishes by hand. OK, I admit, I was never a great baker, but my DH bakes bread at home. We haven't tried it in the Convection oven but I think it will work fine.
Irene