Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
Monaco Owners Club
The space for cooking/baking/roasting is much bigger in our micro/conv oven than in any so called oven that we have seen in a MH. I love the micro/conv to do everything and more in it and usually in less time than an oven since the warm air is circulated around the pans. Things cook more evenly and faster in it then a regular oven.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
Ford Super Duty Owner
W don't use the cooktop either. We have a portable induction cooktop, sits on top of the cooktop cover. We have used the oven on time. DW wanted to fix me a baked potato and the microwave broke, cooked it in the oven. Other than that one time the oven is used for storing cookware.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #45
Alaskan Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Got an oven DW even makes cakes when we ar out on boondocking
Mike, Liz and Zeeva (Chihuahua) in a 1993 Fleetwood 29 foot Coronado, living the RV life in the Great Land of Alaska
bikermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #46
Oven is the way to go for me, I love to cook and bake, and I dont have to worry about the gen and gas while cooking........
Fleetwood Bounder
warrior17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #47
Tiffin Owners Club
Our all electric kitchen has the C/M combo and the induction stove top. Those two appliances and the fridge are all on the inverter and solar panel setup we have. We don't need to use the genset to run them. To cook a meal. The solar panels will recharge the batteries in the 4+ hours between meals

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP Towing 2013 Ford Flex
using Blue Ox Alladin Towbar & Air Force One Braking System
Follow us on jitrekking.com
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
All of our RVs have had an oven. I'd lose the microwave /convection before I'd lose the oven.

How can you make biscuits & gravy for breakfast without a proper oven? Especially when boondocking?

You got that right! Got to have my biscuits with a little gravy and sausage. I've got to have both!
Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #49
I have to throw my two cents it. I will never give up an oven. When my kids where younger and we would tent I had bought the portable / foldable Coleman oven. They thought it was so kool that they could make cookies and cakes while camping.Now that the kids are older I bought a CampChef stove oven combo that hooks up to all sizes propane. If it too hot to bake inside then I am able to cook/bake outside. DH thought I was crazy to get it and said it was a waste of money, but when I pulled out a lasagna with garlic toast and then cup cakes for dessert, you can bet he ATE his words! It's a great investment!
HethaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #50
The two questions you have to ask and then answer are, "how do you camp?" And then "how do you like to cook?" We're foodies, but we rarely stay anywhere without full electrical hook-ups, so convection is easier and more precise for dishes requiring an oven. There's just the two of us and the dog, so we're not cooking huge meals no need for two ovens.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #51
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the oven and would like it , and use it more if it were of better quality. 2 improvements I can think of would be a convection oven and a pilot that was not so hard to light , perhaps a spark igniter. Other thoughts , better insulation , less rattles ,
self cleaning, accurate temp control, better controls. All in all it makes using the micro-convection a breeze
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #52
Monaco Owners Club
Bought our first new RV in 03 with an oven. We used it twice in 5 years with less than ideal results.

Ordered our second new unit built for us in 2008 with drawers instead of an oven. Never missed it even a little.

Bought our 07 Endeavor used, with no oven 5 months back. The previous owner was a professional gourmet chef and didn't need an oven.

It's all a matter of what you want and like.
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #53
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
We renewed the home kitchen appliances a few years back and almost by accident wound up with a GE Advantium micro/convection/halogen plus a normal oven with convection. After learning the Advantium, the only time we use the big oven is when we need to cook something that doesn't fit in the Advantium, like a T-giving turkey. Otherwise, we use the Advantium EXTENSIVELY. It uses microwave, convection heat and halogen light or blends of the three cooking modes and comes with a bunch of pre-programed cooking cycles. Want to cook a pizza? The menu options are fresh or frozen, standard or rising crust, etc, and a DiGiorno turns out terrific. Our model also has a broil setting, which I use often for parmesan crusted tilapia. We have the 110v model, so our experience should translate to RVing nicely.

These aren't cheap - list price for an Advantium over-range model with hood fan is about a grand, but I will be replacing the current micro/convection combo unit with an Advantium before we go full-timing. We will be able to bake, broil, & zap (microwave) all in one unit.
Ours is the 120 volt model also, cost a bunch in 2002 when we ordered it in our DSDP. Actually it was a special special order, not even listed on the special order sheet. DW had to have it after seeing a demo at an FMCA rally.
The only "problem" is that you can't turn off the turntable for large items.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #54
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Ok. I'm the total opposite end of the spectrum here. We have an oven and I wouldn't be without it. First having a propane oven is great while boondocking. Allows me to bake and roast to my heart's content in the boonies without ever having to switch on the inverter and drain the batteries. Second I just love the flexibility of having two ovens -> the propane and the convection/microwave.

So for us having an oven is a must. Would never be without it!
Us too, we special ordered ours with an oven. We use it. When you use the oven you can't use the microwave until it cools down.
American Coach 2012 Revolution 42W
lmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #55
Vintage RV Owners Club
It's all in the way you "camp".

If you always have hookups, get rid of the gas oven and make room for another electric gadget.

But if you like to get out Beyond The Plug and still want to eat slow food: keep it.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #56
While we use our gas oven every time we take the motorhome out, I have an advantium at home and would love to have one in the motorhome. Problem is, all the over the range versions with built in vent fan seem to be 30" models and will not fit where our current vent hood and micro are. Have I missed a smaller advantium that is used in RVs?

38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote