Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Again....we are just old school, but you can't always count on Ben Franklin. We have mico-conv and a gas oven. Seems most of our stays are in fishing resorts. Most only have 15 amp service, the others have no service at all. If you are going to stay in 30-50 amp RV parks, then the micro-conv is going to suffice your baking needs. If you are anywhere else, the gas oven is a blessing. We don't bake bread....just salmon, chicken, roasts and good ole potatoes and you can't beat that gas oven!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We also like having the gas oven as well as the conv. micro. When we bought our coach it did not have an oven, and we found a slightly used one at an Parts dept and installed it ourselves. We do alot of baking because of my Gluten free diet and the convection microwave just didn't seem to cut it. The temperature was hard to control on the gas oven until we got a tip here on IRV about putting an unglazed tile in the oven. It works great.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Log View Post
I It seems to me that not having an oven would really put a crimp in being able to cook because of having to spend too much time switching stuff out in the microwave/convection oven.
Da-Log
I find three seconds is not too much time to switch out the glass tray for the metal tray. We have GE Profile micro/convection/oven. It bakes, it convections ? and it microwaves, easy peasy and I love it! Wouldn't use an oven since we have experienced this one. One drawback if you bake a lot, is that the metal pan goes round and round and could be small for baking dozens of cookies at one time.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Ok. I'm the total opposite end of the spectrum here. We have an oven and I wouldn't be without it. First having a propane oven is great while boondocking. Allows me to bake and roast to my heart's content in the boonies without ever having to switch on the inverter and drain the batteries. Second I just love the flexibility of having two ovens -> the propane and the convection/microwave.

So for us having an oven is a must. Would never be without it!
Yep, if you boondock a lot then a gas oven might be of more use. We can run the C/M off the inverter, but it doesn't really work that well due to the inverter being MSW so I have to start the generator or be at a 50 amp site.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #33

[QUOTE

I find three seconds is not too much time to switch out the glass tray for the metal tray. We have GE Profile micro/convection/oven. It bakes, it convections ? and it microwaves, easy peasy and I love it! Wouldn't use an oven since we have experienced this one. One drawback if you bake a lot, is that the metal pan goes round and round and could be small for baking dozens of cookies at one time.[/QUOTE]

We have a sharp and I can turn off the turntable. Using the metal riser rack, I can bake using 2 full size cookie sheets.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
We renewed the home kitchen appliances a few years back and almost by accident wound up with a GE Advantium micro/convection/halogen plus a normal oven with convection. After learning the Advantium, the only time we use the big oven is when we need to cook something that doesn't fit in the Advantium, like a T-giving turkey. Otherwise, we use the Advantium EXTENSIVELY. It uses microwave, convection heat and halogen light or blends of the three cooking modes and comes with a bunch of pre-programed cooking cycles. Want to cook a pizza? The menu options are fresh or frozen, standard or rising crust, etc, and a DiGiorno turns out terrific. Our model also has a broil setting, which I use often for parmesan crusted tilapia. We have the 110v model, so our experience should translate to RVing nicely.

These aren't cheap - list price for an Advantium over-range model with hood fan is about a grand, but I will be replacing the current micro/convection combo unit with an Advantium before we go full-timing. We will be able to bake, broil, & zap (microwave) all in one unit.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #35

Have had 5 RV's and all had ovens. All used for storage!!
In our current Class A we took out oven and installed an new stove top and Fisher Paykal dishwasher. For us it has been a great move
We did the installation ourselves.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
We felt the same as you initially. But after using the convection feature in our microwave we've found it bakes/cooks as good as an oven. Forgo the oven, you wont miss it but you will appreciate the extra storage.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Cooking is all about a happy DW. when we bought our rig it had only the convection oven. DW started cooking in it and loves it. She loves it so much I had to buy one for the house. Now the oven at home is a pan cabinet.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a purely subjective answer but we like the oven. We don't use it often but when we do- nothing else is better. It will depend on your own food preferences. We eat and prepare a lot of fresh meals from local farms and markets- most recipies call for baking of some type. We also use the convection oven but I generally like the taste better when we use "old reliable".
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #39

After several years of RVing, I have never once used the oven...I use the oven for frying pan storage. When cooking and I need an oven, I break out the D.O. and get outside to do the baking...whenever possible that is.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We use the convection oven all the time and feel it works as good as any oven. Would not be without it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
the more ovens, the merrier

the DP didn't come with an oven. had one installed before it left the dealership. now we have c/m and propane oven. like being able to use both at the same time.

especially when dry-camping. can use the propane oven without the genset (never tried it on the inverter).

haven't missed the storage drawers where the oven is. maybe we don't carry enough "stuff" ?
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
YC1

The DW says she misses the oven but I think she is just afraid to learn how to use the convection oven which I really like. The space where the oven would be is filled with two slide out trays full of pots and pans that would need to find a home if the oven was there. In addition to the convection oven we have two nu-wave induction cookers that can go just about anywhere on the counter. We leave the propane stove covered and use the nu-waves instead. They do not heat the interior of the rv and heat control is excellent. Using just one burner on the stove ties up the whole surface. Using one of these only ties up about 14 inches of whatever space you want it sitting on. It does not get hot on the bottom and cools in just a couple of minutes.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote