Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
To Oven or not to Oven, THAT is the question!

I am a newbie to Rv'ing. DW and I are still deciding what we want/need in a Class A. The current topic up for debate is ovens. Most all the RV's come with a stovetop and convection microwave but no "real oven". It seems to me that not having an oven would really put a crimp in being able to cook because of having to spend too much time switching stuff out in the microwave/convection oven. I am looking for feedback from experienced RV'ers. Do have an oven and don't use it much? Do you not have an oven and wish you had one? I am terrified of buying an RV only to find out that I didn't get something I really need or could use. We only have enough money to do this "Let's buy an RV" thing ONCE! If I screw up this purchase, I am afraid my DW will prematurely send me to the VA Home.

Thanks for your comments,

Da-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We opted to not get the oven, haven't missed it at all as we have a GE Advantium convection/microwave.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wife say's she never uses the oven, so she would prefer the micro/convection. We do carry a toaster oven for special needs.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Well our TT and first Class A had no oven and we didn't miss it. We are not FTers and don't bake, if it can't be BBQ or cook in the convection oven we don't eat it. Our current MH has an oven and we haven't used it yet. I miss the added storage space.

The question I would have is how much baking does your DW or you do? Are you going to be FTing or camping? If its something that could be baked could you BBQ it or put it in the covection oven and heat the other items on the range top.

But you are correct if your DW isn't happy life will suck.

Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
I've owned 4 different MH's. One had just a microwave, two had a microwave/convection, and now I have one with a microwave and an oven. We use the oven to store bread products and cooking utensils. Never have had any desire to bake something while in the MH.

This is a 13 year old MH which we bought two years ago and the only time it has ever been used was last year while parked in my driveway. It was used to keep some Thanksgiving baked goods warm.

If you get a unit w/o an oven you can always buy a small toaster oven and have at it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a shiny new, never used oven in my Class C. I missed my toaster oven, so I removed the vent hood and put an under counter toaster oven in it's place. Pizza warmed up in a microwave just doesn't cut it and I can bake a small batch of cookies, too.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We opted to not get the oven, haven't missed it at all as we have a GE Advantium convection/microwave.
X2. Not having an oven provides two large drawers for storage.
2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3411; Workhorse W22; 8.1L; Allison 6-speed
2013 Honda CRV
Portage, MI
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Hello let me tell you a tail our 5thwheel had a gas oven and the new to us used M/H had a C/M oven my wife was very undecided about the C/M oven but thought she would try it and if she really didn't like it later we would install a gas oven. So after trying the C/M oven she is enjoying the C/M and is not missing the gas oven that she thought she would have. I bought her a small one for at home to use durning the winter months to get more used to it and she uses it more then the stove oven we have at home as well.It really mind over matter shes love the C/M now and we will not be installing the Gas oven after all ( note you really have to use it & not complain that you don't have a gas oven )
2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder 42' Vicksburg Quid Slide.
Diesel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two previous motor homes had ovens and the dw never used either. Our new motor home has only the microwave with convection oven and works fine.

The microwave and convection oven sure does not rattle like an oven does!

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
We Have never used our oven, but use the C/M constantly. I'd rather have the storage space or perhaps a dishwasher!
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
You can do just about everything in the convection microwave that you can do with the gas oven. The gas ovens are not exactly ideal - there are lots of posts on how they don't cook very evenly. I use my convection microwave quite a bit - read the manual and you'll discover you can bake just about anything in it.

Having extra drawers would be nice. Another thought - you could delete the drawers and have space for a dishwasher drawer.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
We have a GE M/C combo and a separate gas oven. When we were in the S&B we had two separate self cleaning combination convection/ normal ovens. My wife loved to bake. I loved to eat but that's another story. When we got our DP used it had both ovens in
It. We've had it 3 years and she has never used the gas oven. And unfortunately still baked great. She says her things would look better in a normal oven but they still taste great. We use the regular oven to store bread stuffs. She wants to get rid of it and get a dishwasher. Hope she'll still keep me around.
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
We seem to be the odd ball on the group but we do use our oven all the time in our 5vr. Guess just old school, but do have to admit we have never tried a convection oven. It seems to work fine and doesn't seem to use a lot of propane.
Bob & Kimi, Fuzzy Butted Daughter Penny
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RLX
2000 Ram 2500
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
We have the convection/microwave and DW is happy. Use the dishwasher to store the coffee pot in while traveling. Dish washing detergent and Jet Dry are still in their original package and we are the 3rd owner of this 06.

Chuck & Chopper (the fuzzy 1)
2003 DSDP w/ 2012 F150 4x4 that wants to be a Jeep.
chuckinthebus is online now   Reply With Quote