Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To Power Wash or Not???

Hi Folks!! Just finished our first trip ever pulling a toad! Great trip and our 2010 Winnebago journey DP didn't miss a beat. But it needs a bath bad!! We've only owned it a few months and hand washed it the first time, but geez it takes forever!! Have a power washer but wanted to get feedback from you seasoned pros about pressure to use and if it is OK to really get in the engine area with the power washer. We live on a dirt road and the back just gets covered in a fine dust when we come home...I'm sure the radiator and under Carriage are coated as well.

Thanks for you advice I advance!!

Dianne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I power wash once a year, the remainder is all soft brush wash with a soap and wax combo product (Turtle Wax at this time).

Old 07-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

Definatly dont take a pressure washer to your radiators !
The fins are very thin metal, and bend easily. Low pressure only there.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Power washing is fine... if done right - heck the detailer that washed, hand waxed, and polished our wheels for $225 yesterday used a power washer...
they worked on the rv for 6 hours !

but look up Blue Beacon and for about $35 to $50 (depending on what you ask them to do) it's done and nice !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	638.3 KB
ID:	100224  
Old 07-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

John Boy Too, I wish I lived close to Blue Beacon but alas, it's about 80 miles from me. I live out in the middle of nowhere. Doubt Ill find a hand detailer so I guess I'll just get a bucket and some car wash.... Good exercise lol!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
understand,
do what we do...
stop at the last one before the campground and then the one closest to home

And CERTAINLY hear ya on the good exercise !

I only did the detailers cuz groupon had a special and it was pretty neat the way they moved their ladder around the rv ... basically stayed on it and 'wobbled' it to the next section
Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Beautiful, beautiful rig!!!! We went from a big 5er to a 36' Winnebago Journey. I do a lot of the driving and I was intimidated by the bigger buses, and we got a great buy on the Journey. However after several trips I'm thinking that bigger is better! I bet that extra axel makes for a more stable ride!!! I love the Journey but everytime me pass a Phaeton or anything with two rear axle, I get wandering eyes. Dear hubby is ready to shoot me lol!!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have never power wash any of my RVs. To much chance of peeling off a decal or driving water where it should not be and you don't want it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Keep in mind a power washer does not remove the thin film of oil like washing with an RV brush or hand washing with a sponge. Whether one is safe for paint and decals depends entirely on the operator knowledge and the pressure washers pressure output. I have a small 120VAC pressure washer from Home Depot with an out put of 1,000psi. I doubt it really has that psi output though. I carry it when we are headed South for the winter to quickly wash away salt and sand after we are South of the rust belt. I carried it to Alaska to rinse away road dirt from driving the Alaska highway and its crushed rock sections.
After reflection, I think a hose spray nozzle
that produces a spray like a power washer should do just as well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
A lot of late model motor homes use Vinyl Graphics (Decals) They will peel off real easy with a power washer if you use the High pressure nozzle, I had this happen on a previous motor home. Be very careful with a power washer. Mine puts out 1900 Lbs of pressure.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

My coach is not that big, I just wash by hand.

purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power