RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #1

To Purchase or not to Purchase

I am considering buying a new 2019 Thor Tuscany 38sq. As a matter of fact, I have made a verbal offer and it has been verbally accepted. However, I live out of state and have not seen the coach. Iím beginning to have cold feet. Here is why. It is an early 2019, delivered to the dealer on 1 July 2018. The coach is in Indiana and has been stored outside on the dealerís lot. It has less than 50 miles on it meaning it has mostly sat on the lot, driven very, very little.
This brings into question routine maintenance and service issues such as:
Periodic cycling and servicing of the engine, transmission, generator, air conditioners, aqua hot, tires, batteries servicing of the batteries are an unknown. Then there is the matter of winterization, was it ever accomplished. It is my opinion that the coach has likely received little to no routine maintenance/service since delivery to the dealer. Just what I believe to be SOP at most dealerships. The agreed to selling price, is in my opinion reasonable, it has been adjusted to reflect the fact that it is an old 2019. However, if the aforementioned and other coach systems are significantly degraded due to extended inactivity the reduced price may be far short of off-setting the cost and time required to return various systems/components to like new condition.

How do you feel about purchasing a motorhome that has incurred the likely inattention of this coach? Do you feel as though you would pass on this coach? Thank you in advance for any feedback you choose to provide.

sundance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 12:38 AM   #2

Always make the offer subject to inspection. Or you can get n inspection done and make the offer subject to inspection findings. Best of luck!

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Always make the offer subject to inspection. Or you can get n inspection done and make the offer subject to inspection findings. Best of luck!
And subject to a test drive.
Leave yourself as many ways as possible to walk away . And try the operation of everything.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

The short inactivity is not a downside .. farm equipment sits for months. The only issue would be batteries being left discharged. Definitely have that addressed I doubt the coach was ever in use other than the drive from the factory and probably was never de winterized in the first place many dealers esp in that area leave them winterized until sold
Btw I think itís a itís a bad idea to start a diesel to ďcycleĒ it unless your going to drive it 20-30 miles. So leaving it sit for the past year was the best thing for it
The generator electrical windings ( not the engine) should be used regularly but itís a ďnewĒ in the box unit so that probably doesnít apply
Now if it sat for 4 years I might be looking a little closer but just a year ? Not an issue. Those engines and frames sit sometimes for months before they are built outside .. in a field
IMO your overly concerned , I have a thing about Thor Iíd be more concerned about that .. but your not me
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure your contingencies are in writing....NOT just verbal...don’t fall for the “I don’t recall you stating that”... save yourself a huge headache.
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a new year old MH and had a lot of issues. I found out later that the coach had spent a lot of time at the chassis shop because it would not start. They never diagnosed the real problem of why it would not start on occasion until we broke down twice on a trip out west. Lucky for us we got an experienced Ford mechanic who took the time to look at the history of the coach and figure out that we had a short in the wiring and not all the parts the other dealers threw at the problem. Ask them for a history of what work has been done on the coach so far by them and the chassis manufacturer. My guess on why they have had it this long is because they have had problems with it. I learned the hard way.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #7

Many motorhomes spend a lot of time sitting in storage with little use. Whether new or old, you always have to go over everything carefully and then expect that there will be some things that will come up after the sale. Motor homes have complex sytems and the state of our roadways will make sure they are shaken, bounced and jolted a lot. You need to make a plan to deal with repairs and move on.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

As someone above has mentioned, I would want to answer the question to the best of my ability (you will never get a definite answer), "Why has it been sitting on the dealer's lot so long?"
I would treat the inspection issue as I would when buying any RV, and especially at MH. Many folks believe that if the MH is 'new' there is no need for a 3rd party inspection. Big mistake, IMO.

Am I correct that that you have researched the brand's reliability and construction quality on this and other forums and have already checked off that box to your satisfaction?
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Are you sure you want to buy a Thor? I have only seen two, but was not impressed with the quality of either. If you are ok with it, then 35% off retail is a good starting point, but 40% is better. It is close to being a year old model and it's value will take a "Big" drop when sold. I wouldn't sign or commit before I sat in it and drove it. As mentioned, the batteries would be my major concern. Sitting for that long should not have any serious effect on anything else.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see the inactivity as big concern. Yeah, batteries are probably a bit tired and the tires aged, but the engine and tranny aren't falling apart already. You say the price reflects that its been sitting awhile, so that's ok too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
The short inactivity is not a downside .. farm equipment sits for months. The only issue would be batteries being left discharged. Definitely have that addressed I doubt the coach was ever in use other than the drive from the factory and probably was never de winterized in the first place many dealers esp in that area leave them winterized until sold
Btw I think itís a itís a bad idea to start a diesel to ďcycleĒ it unless your going to drive it 20-30 miles. So leaving it sit for the past year was the best thing for it
The generator electrical windings ( not the engine) should be used regularly but itís a ďnewĒ in the box unit so that probably doesnít apply
Now if it sat for 4 years I might be looking a little closer but just a year ? Not an issue. Those engines and frames sit sometimes for months before they are built outside .. in a field
IMO your overly concerned , I have a thing about Thor Iíd be more concerned about that .. but your not me
I am having to have all 6 liners and pistons replaced in my rig due to it's not being run for months over the winter storage.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Are you sure you want to buy a Thor? I have only seen two, but was not impressed with the quality of either. If you are ok with it, then 35% off retail is a good starting point, but 40% is better. It is close to being a year old model and it's value will take a "Big" drop when sold. I wouldn't sign or commit before I sat in it and drove it. As mentioned, the batteries would be my major concern. Sitting for that long should not have any serious effect on anything else.
You should make it a point to go and look over a newer Tuscany, they are actually pretty nice and as well built as any other in the price point

How about a report back when you do? Be curious as to what you think. When we were looking we didn't see a big difference in the coaches until we made a 250K price jump
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I am having to have all 6 liners and pistons replaced in my rig due to it's not being run for months over the winter storage.
Wow mr D you sure are having more then your share of problems with that big engine.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Yes I saw that , I really feel for you, youíve gotten the sharp stick way too many times !
However I think in the OP case , who may not know your specific engine/issue ( and almost everyone else who doesnít have your problem Cummins ) letting the engine sit wonít cause that type damage . These are million mile engines ... that is if they are used daily but I agree sitting seems to take a toll on them .. the thing I would add is the opís intended coach hasnít even been run really.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase