Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
To Run AC while parked in storage

Hey , just wondering what the opionions on leaving A C operating while parked in storage with shore power, The storage is not covered, I have tried to find covered storage here in Savannah Ga. With no luck. As you know it is hot with a lot of bright sun shine my thought in leaving the AC running it keeps humidity lower inside coach. I am wondering how hard is on AC to run for 30 days in hot weather.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave mine on in the summer, at 88 degrees, not too cool at all, but it does at least keep the humidity and heat down.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Mine stays plugged in at home with both A/C's set at 82.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I keep the front A/C set to 80 when we're home during the summer!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Community Administrator

I had three roof vents with max air covers. I kept all three vents open and never had a moisture issue. This by the way was in Florida .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

If you choose to not run the Air. Buy a dehumidifier at least.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

(Mod edit)

To the OP, yes, keeping the coach plugged in with the A/Cs set to a reasonable temp in order to keep the interior of the coach protected from high heat and humidity would be a smart idea.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if your lot rent covers electricity...sure

even set at 85 will pull tons of moisture out.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

(Mod edit)

I would not hold up any dealer as a good example of what to do, or not to do when the RV is on their lot!

(Mod edit)
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #10

Mine is kept undercover. It stays relatively cool in the constant shade.

If I move it out from cover and up to the house to prepare for a trip, I fire up the A/C and like others set it in the 80's. It gets almost as hot as in my closed up car if you do not.

Years ago we didn't have cover, and the heat unglued some of our wall paper, caused molding to warp, and very much dried out the woodwork from the constant baking. (S.C. sun)

If I had to store in the sun, I would have the a/c on. Both units to share the load.

L.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Dealers,,, have RV's on their lots for months,,,,, if it don't go well maybe a year.

What I am referring to is the affects of long term storage in a high heat environment. Summer here where I am is pretty much late April till end of September, early October. The sun just kills stuff.

I don't trade up every other year, my last RV was purchased new, and we kept in 10 years. It was in very good condition when we sold it, and more importantly we enjoyed using it in very good condition for the entire time we owned it.

10 years of 6 month long summers, day after day in the 90's, some in the 100's, takes a toll. In the sun here, 90 degree day outside, equals way over 100 inside a closed up rv.

L.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in Southern California. We have our share of sun, and RV storage issues, (they disintegrate if not waxed and ventilated).

I have owned 6 RVs (1 Popup, 1 TT, 1 5thWheel, and 3 motorhomes), and have always made sure to ventilate them when in storage, (except for the PopUp which was almost hermetically sealed anyway).

I do not run the A/C, but I do run the Fantastic Fan on 1, and I will leave other protected vents open, or windows cracked open just enough to have air flow at all times.

Humidity moisture and high temperature does it's damage when it's simply allowed to sit in still air. With constant air movement, mold and mildue never form, wood never warps, and wallpaper stays put.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To Run AC while parked in storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Hey , just wondering what the opionions on leaving A C operating while parked in storage with shore power, The storage is not covered........I am wondering how hard is on AC to run for 30 days in hot weather.

We live in our DS fulltime. Our rooftops are running pretty much 365 either in air or heat pump mode. We typically park for a 3-5 month stretch, then travel some enroute to the next stop. How would that differ from what you propose?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
John & Diane thanks for your comment. I believe that is a good point. Just never thought of it that way.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage