Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

To slide or not to slide?

We are looking at A's in the 99 -02 age, 30' - 32' length, Storm, Bounder, Sea breeze etc. I'm am sure this is in this forum somewhere but I somewhat suck at using these forums to their full potential
Anyone want to point this Kiwi's nose in the right direction, or just wade in with ya two cents worth, pro's and con's.
coupla Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned both in the year range that you're asking about.

Advantages:
More space. Literally this is a space multiplier. It can make a big difference, especially if you're living in the rig for a while or operating with more than 2 people. If I was doing extended stays or had more than 2 people, a slide would be a must-have.

Disadvantages:
Additional mechanical and electrical complication. More stuff to break, adjust, deal with. Something else to remember before driving away. Something else to remember when parking. More chances of leaking. Typically have another awning to deal with.

BTW: Basement model refers to storage being under the living area, usually quite a bit of it.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you specified an age but not really a budget.
Best non slide coach floor plans I like are Georgieboys from the mid 90s. I would recommend removing ANY dinette on a nonslide coach. Think I like about nonslide coaches are bathrooms that use the whole 8' wide of the coach. Toilet closet on one side and shower/sink on the other.
Late 90s coaches with 16' living room slides would be my next suggestion. You wont be cramped when you entertain guests.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I agree with cb1000rider, on both the plus and minus sides. We have a 1999 with one slide and before it we had a "C" class with no slides. We really don't see the need for four or even three slides. They limit the movement inside the coach while on the road, or stopped for lunch at a rest stop or other temporary place. But the one slide we have really opens up the living space and gives it a less tube feel inside. Knock on wood, we haven't had any problems with ours, but every extra doodad creates an opportunity for repairs. A good example is a Transfer switch, there great, but when they fail your stuck. Moving the shore power chord works just as well and isn't likely to fail ever. Just an example. We’re glad we have the slide, and one in the bedroom as well would be nice, but not nice enough for us to trade in the old girl
I would recommend a slide in at least the living room.
Dick
Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
After having a '29ft C with no slides to a 34' A with one 16' slide, there is NO WAY we would have anything less. We've had our '99 National for 2 years. Although we've done a lot of upgrades, we've never had an issue. I'd pick the Breeze
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can find a floor plan that has the room and works for you without a slide...got for it. I'd prefer no slid due to the mechanical issues and leak potential.

Of course there is the argument that non-slide units are hard to sell. But get a good price on it and not have to spend money on repairs, you should do OK.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with cb1000rider.

On another note, not all coaches with slides limit your movement in the coach. I have an 09 Safari Chetah with 4 slides. I have complete movement front to back with the slides in. Access to all but one kitchen cabinet and the bottom 4 drawers of the bedroom chest of drawers.

When traveling alone I stay at rest areas until I arrive at my destination. I am able to cook, eat, sleep shower, etc.. with the 4 slides in.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
No slides, no way! Slides offer a floor plan you can live with. Technology is a gift, so go, find your floor plan YOU like, cause that is what is all important! Buy it and travel happily ever after! Slides
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had both. But last one without a slide was back in the 80's. I am 100% in favor of the slides

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #10

Thanks folks for the feed back. We are planning on full timing in our RV for at least 2 years so want to take in to account the reliability factor of slide vs no slide. WT, as far as budget goes, well we've seen on the likes of CL, what i consider to be pretty good buys in the non slide models around the $16,000 to $22,000 mark, and $ 25,000 - $ 28,000 for 1 or 2 slide models.
We're just thinking the price difference is our solar set up and some fuffy dice
I'm happy to rework some of the cabinetry etc to suit our needs ( I have the skills and pay my bills in the cabinetry business) The fact that we are looking at smaller size A's in the 30' -32' range makes us wonder if paying the extra for slide should be a no brainer if they are not a maintenance nightmare.

Mr M.
coupla Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Slides like anything mechanical will require routine maintenance but if properly maintained I would never classify them as a maintenance nightmare.

Full timing for 2 years go with a slide or 2.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupla Kiwis View Post
Thanks folks for the feed back. We are planning on full timing in our RV for at least 2 years so want to take in to account the reliability factor of slide vs no slide. ...
FT RV is our goal in about 2 years. We went big with our current RV because we thought it would be a good FT model. It could be for many people but we have decided it isn't for us. We are having some weight and balance issues, AC issues and discovered some things about the floor plan that looked nice at first but aren't as handy as we though in real life. We decided we also wanted a king bed and 2 piece washer/dryer in our FT home. One other essential item is a private toilet and a vanity that is not in the toilet area and NOT in the bedroom either.

Sorry to say we are not looking to be minimalist in the strictest sense but certainly MUCH more so than we are now. We are still looking at the 38-40' range for us and our 2 big dogs. Maybe a well priced 43' provided it is very well priced. We are looking mostly at the Newmar line because of floor plans. The debate we are having is to go new with the Ventana line or a bit older with the Dutch Star line.

This is all very individual so I am just tossing out some factors we ran into. If you like a smaller RV and it meets your needs/goals...go for it. It is all an adventure.

From the information I got from the RV Consumer Group there are some factors to consider for an FT rig. Window venting in galley and bathroom areas, shower stall wall construction to avoid moisture accumulation, sturdiness and water tightness of shower/tub, overall wall thickness and framing, floor/wall/ceiling quality/insulation and reputation for livability.

All this plays into the slide question. Can you have enough elbow room with out them? For us the answer is no. I think it is important to consider your situation and tolerance for small spaces for a couple years. It is one thing to go out on weekends or perhaps 2-3 weeks at a time and live in a small space. It is another to live in it 24/7, 365.

Enjoy your research and take lots of aspirin. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

The usability of the coach with slides in was definitely something important to us. We sometimes end up camping in situations where we can't put the slides out due to limited space , and we've done that without feeling bothered.

That said, after a week somewhere with the slide nout, when we are packing up to head off and pull the slides in (especially the living room slide) it's always sorta of an "awwww...where'd the space go" moment.

Steve
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love our slides. You can use the MH with the living room one in if needed, but when it's open, it's like a completely different area. Little hard to use the bedroom area with slide in, but we've never had too. My opinion, definitely two slides.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide