Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #29

I guess I'm one of the few people who don't own one yet. We bought our first "new to us" motorhome in March of this year. It's a 1997 model, so not nearly as much electrical equipment as the newer ones. To be honest, until I joined this site I had not even heard of it. Also, I was camping last weekend and decided to walk around and see if everyone had one. To my surprise, I didn't see any. Now that does not mean no one had one, it just means that maybe they all had the hard wire units.

I know I need one, but with all of the recent MH costs, trying to get the tow vehicle set up, plus the fact that we only camp for a few days every other month and Xmas is coming it's hard to justify right now. Plus, it's a tough sell to the wife when she sees that the prior owner used this MH for 15 years and never had a problem. Russian roulette I know, but I have to play it a little longer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good power line monitor and guard unit, Like the Progressive Dynamics units. can save you a bunch. I have read many threads where someone plugged in a thirty amp rig at a friends house (*or even their own house*) and blew up all the electronics cause it was wired for 240 not 120.

Though not as common, I have heard of it happening in a park or two as well.

And low voltage often damages air conditoners, not to mention the sudden surge (not to be confused with a spike which is short lived) that happens when the voltage returns to normal... and then some... takes it's toll as well.

The big surge guards protect you against this as well.

Progressive Dynamics is usually considered best... And.. I have reasons for liking them.. That is what I suggest.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
You can spend $297 for the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS unit from this vendor

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C

or you can take a chance and hope that it doesn't cost you hundreds if not thousands to replace the stuff that got fried due to faulty power problems if you don't own one.

"Pay The Man Now or Pay The Man Later". The choice is up to you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You can spend $297 for the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS unit from this vendor

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C

or you can take a chance and hope that it doesn't cost you hundreds if not thousands to replace the stuff that got fried due to faulty power problems if you don't own one.

"Pay The Man Now or Pay The Man Later". The choice is up to you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I totally agree! It's the cheapest insurance you can ever buy! That's a great price on that unit! I think I paid close to $350 for mine!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Add me to the Progressive fan list. I have the hard wired 50A unit.

This company is positively stellar! Every unit Progressive sells now has a lifetime warranty. They even apply it to their older units. My unit was installed by a previous owner in about 2006 or so, and the documentation explicitly states that it is warranted for 5 years. Mine recently stopped functioning properly, but when I called Progressive they never even asked how old it was. They didn't ask when I bought it, the serial number, or where. They only asked the symptoms and my address, and then they sent me two replacement circuit boards at no charge. If it has their name on it and its broken, they'll fix it. Period.

As an added note, bear in mind that an actual power surge is about the least likely electrical event you might encounter. Other anomalies like high or low voltage, lost neutral, etc., are far more likely and arguably more damaging in the long run, though less spectacular. A high quality EMS will protect your coach from all of these events.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #34

I don't think you'll find anyone ever saying these are a waste of money. They are highly recommended and are very cheap insurance. It only has to happen once....

If you compare the Surge Guard side by side to the equivalent Progressives Industries one, the PI wins hands down. More features, it's made in the US and has a lifetime warranty.

One thing I like about the PI EMS is that it shuts down at 104 volts as compared to 102 for the Surge Guard. Typically when you get down to 105 volts, that where you start to get damage and in particular, some AC units.

Don't confuse "surge" protection with "power" protection.

I prefer the hard-wired one so it won't disappear or get forgotten. Some say there is a potential fire risk if inside, but I'm not sure on stats on that and I think it's rare. I just bought a hardwired PI unit. As stated in the following article, you can have a greater risk of fire from a severe spike than if you don't have one.

http://http://www.everything-about-r...tors-safe.html

While you are thinking of spending money on electrical protection, take a look at the Hughes or Franks autoformer. Won't do all the things PI will, but you get voltage regulation so even if the cg voltage is low (or too high), you are good to keep running. Low voltage is a very common problem in the summer with everyone running AC units simultaneously. You can run one together with a "surge" protector.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #35

You could look at it the same as you would any insurance, You buy it and hope you never need it. The same holds true for surge protection. Todays surge guards do much more than just surges, they do low voltage, check for proper ground, everything that can cause you far more damage than the price of a good Surge protection.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Location: Just roaming around... (home base Bossier City, LA)
We have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in our motorhome. Had the same model in the fifth-wheel we traded in on the moho. As soon as it was installed in the fifth-wheel, it tripped! The new RV park had to contact the power company to install a new transformer because of low voltage! They also had to correct a grounding problem. This was a new RV park; and, the electrical system had been installed by "licensed electricians." I swear by the Progressive Industries product, and won't be without one!!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have a Powermaster power booster to use in case the voltage is too low for the Progressive Industries EMS to allow through to the motor home. It also has surge protection built in. The EMS is hardwired, and I've installed the "installation kit" for the power booster so neither can "grow feet" without someone breaking into the electrical compartment. If/when we trade RVs, it can all easily be moved to the new(er) coach.
The combination cost almost $1K; but, the damage for one "incident" could easily exceed two - three times that!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
The new PowerMaster VC-50 Voltage Boosters are FAR superior to the Hughes Autoformers.

I have an older version VC-50 I installed back in 2010 and it has worked flawlessly since then. In fact sometimes it works too good and I have to disconnect it when I am where the "normal" voltage is too high to begin with.

The newer units have a auto bypass feature that turn the booster function off when the incoming voltage is 125 VAC or higher.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was like some one on hear who couldn’t justified the cost right now. I was able to justify the coast to replace the circuit board in the washer. I was setting in an rv park and saw the lights dim and heard the washer quit. I haven't found any problems with the surge guard yet but I am happier now.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Time for a decision

I want to thank each and everyone of you who have responded to my question. I think at this time all I need to do now is go buy one. My choice will more than likely be the Progressive EMS PT 50 C. From all that has been said, I don't think I can go wrong, especially with the "life time" warranty.
So Thanks again and a Merry Christmas to all
I do believe that may be under the Christmas tree this year.
The Toads
I will leave this post up for another couple of days and then it will be gone.
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fact that you don't see the surge protectors when walking thru RV Parks doesn't mean much. I know of 30 or more RV's with surge protection and only 2 of them have the one you plug in at the power post.

I have the TRC hard wired unit but will replace it with the PI unit soon.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
I want to thank each and everyone of you who have responded to my question. I think at this time all I need to do now is go buy one. My choice will more than likely be the Progressive EMS PT 50 C. From all that has been said, I don't think I can go wrong, especially with the "life time" warranty.
So Thanks again and a Merry Christmas to all
I do believe that may be under the Christmas tree this year.
The Toads
I will leave this post up for another couple of days and then it will be gone.
With a portable one, be sure to lock it down, somehow. It only takes one thief to ruin your vacation... Happy Camping!