Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #15

There's no question that a tag is better but a couple of things helped me not to buy one.
1) Cost was a lot more (around 30% on a used coach because most were 42+).
2) How many miles are you gonna drive.
I decided since I wasn't going to go full time and be putting 40k miles a year on it I didn't need it. Couldn't justify the bang for the buck. Going from a Winnie Adventurer to a 40 foot DP will be a big step. Going to a tag will be another big step.
Don't get hung up on a tag but if it's in the budget get it. There's a reason they use them on buses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #16

I have 200,000 miles in DPs with no tag and a bit over 100k with a tag. As said it is a huge difference. You get extra brakes, carrying capacity and a bigger engine. If you have the option get it. If you drive out in the Midwest it is great for the windy days and you are less tired you do not feel the trucks as they go by either.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW. Pulled into a CG last week after a three hour jaunt in 30 plus knot winds. Got out, unhooked and went in to register. Several fellow RVer's questioned " how difficult was it crossing the bridges?" You must be so exhausted! My response, huh? I've owned a 39'6" Excursion and a 43' 6" Providence, both great coaches. No comparison and I mean NO comparison as to comfort and safety. JMHO but well thought out!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also went from a 40' non tag to a 42' tag, both American Eagles but 10 years newer. There is no question about the ride, both smoother and more stable, especially in the wind and I pull a 24' enclosed trailer with both. The 40' no aqua hot did have more basement storage, but in my case it was marginally different, but I probably needed to purge anyway.

I also went from a 10,000 lb to 15,000 lb towing capacity, which was nice for me.

In addition to the other points you do also usually get a 1/2 bath, which is mostly necessity but have really come to appreciate it even when we are parked.

The biggest adjustment for me has been the lack of aisle space while traveling in the tag due to additional slide outs including a full wall slide since I tend to travel with more than just 2 people typically (hunting, NASCAR, tailgates, etc), but I am adjusting and really appreciate the additional floor space when parked, it is unbelievable how much more interior room I have now.

To me there is no negative to tag, the additional costs of the tag compared to overall safety from stability and resulting lack of fatigue driving is a even trade in my opinion, the additional cost of tires amortized over 7 years isn't a consideration for me (may be for some), and the brakes should never wear out.

My tag with a 425 hp doesn't run quit as good in my opinion as my 350 hp did in my non tag, but not enough for me to be overly concerned.

It is a personal preference in my opinion unless your circumstances require the additional weight capacity or towing capacity. Good luck in your decision, but I agree, a test drive of both might make your decision easier.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #19

I've had both tag and non tag. Storage really is a tale away because most tag coaches are at least two feet longer. I believe is you are a southerner and don't drive in the mountains or travel up
North much the it's less Significant. I live in WV no matter which direction I go I'm climbing mountains. The brakes on the tag will impress you they stop Great. So my opinion is spend a few more bucks on the tag chassis you will never regret it
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #20

I'm looking at a clean mid-80s Vogue. It is only 33' with a TAG. Is that overkill or the best of all worlds in a top of the line coach from the 80s?
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
I'm looking at a clean mid-80s Vogue. It is only 33' with a TAG. Is that overkill or the best of all worlds in a top of the line coach from the 80s?
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The "tags" people are referring to are typically based off Freightliner, Spartan, Roadmaster etc diesel pushers with longer wheelbases and air ride chassis. I don't think what you are looking at is overkill or the best of all worlds. Even on those short wheelbases and adding an extra set of axles, the overhang on those larger coaches was still massive compared to now. You really need to look at the chassis/wheelbase vs. length of coach to determine what is best.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #22

I full-time and drive about 6,000 miles a year which equates to driving about 1% of the year. Therefore I give about 1% of my purchase decision to how many axles I have and 99% of my purchase decision to livability of the coach. And yes, I have owned a tag in the past, it was nice and drove wonderfully but I would never base my purchase decision on it. JMO.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote