Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #1

To TAG, or not to TAG. That is our question.

There are several threads we've read on this site that - via side comments, indirect references or by the dastardly and infamous Thread Thief - that dabble in the subject of "The relative value(s) of having a TAG... Or not."

As we've heard them, the issues are:
NEGATIVES
1. Cost of a TAG
2. Must buy (TYPICALLY) at least a 40' (as in CC) coach or larger
3. Cost of the larger coach
4. Loss of storage
5. Cost of additional tires (once every 5 or 10 years as we have personally experienced)

POSITIVES
1. Drive-ability
2. Comfort tooling down the highways and buy-ways
3. More stability
4. Ability to carry more weight - including a larger diesel

OK. I'm sure there are more on both the positive and negative side.

We'd like your EXPERIENCED comments on both sides.

I DO NOT mean to wage war on either side. Just looking for some EXPERIENCED input as we progress down the road toward our immanent next purchase.

We've heard the ever so common comment "BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!." Yes, we truly understand all that is behind that comment and we do agree with its meaning. And yes, it's absolutely true and that will be our ultimate decisions making criteria. But the more educated we are via experienced users in this outstanding forum - on both sides of this axle - the more we can feel comfortable leaning one way or the other. It's still our decision; but it will be a more educated one.

WOW!!!! That was a loooooooooong dissertation. Hope you'll still have the strength to answer our question!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first motorhome was a 40ft non tag fleetwood discovery. I thought it handled great, never had a problem.

I live 2 exits south of MHSRV and Ancira Motorhomes, so everyday I drive by and see the new coaches. The look of the Tag was what did Me in.
After driving several tags, the biggest thing I noticed is the elimination of the expansion joint rocking. Going down the highway, the discovery would start rocking slightly forward and backward (galloping?) and that was a very sedative feeling, especially after a long days drive. The tag does not do that.

It is very stable, yes. And I plan on selling it before I need new tires, so I don't see any downside.

It looks cool!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
With a tag you also have extra wheels for braking. If you have concerns thebest way to evluate the difference is to drive a tag and a non tag from a similar manufacturer and see the difference for yourself.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
With a tag you also have extra wheels for braking. If you have concerns thebest way to evluate the difference is to drive a tag and a non tag from a similar manufacturer and see the difference for yourself.
TOTALY AGREE. Good advise.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #5

Get the tag.
Thank me later. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having owned a 39' Adventurer on a W24 Workhorse chassis and now a 43' DSDP on a Spartan MM, IFS Chassis...

In the immortal words of my grand daughter...OMG!

This is not theory but fact...they are not in the same league. Obviously, if we came from a 2 axle DP the differences would be much less dramatic.

I think you have done your homework. A good list of pro and con rationale. Some thoughts...

1. IMHO, The cost of the extra set of tires and axle maintenance is a minimal factored over a typical 7 year life span. The stability and extra braking they give is worth that.

2. Some of the cons listed are all tied together at the hip. Bigger by nature, loss of storage compared to a single axle of the same length, cost to buy are a fact. However, I don't think the costs are as divergent in the used market.

For the most part, a 42-43' tag will have the same basement storage as a 40' single drive axle but you will gain some additional storage in the coach. Watch out if you go from a gas furnace to aqua heating because that takes up a bit but I bet you knew that.

In the end there are times I wish I was only 40' to get into some tighter places but for the most part we are glad we went 43' & tag. In fact, we are that satisfied we are doing some major mods like new flooring, shades and AGS to make this either our last buy or at least a 6 year home.

Best of luck!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you need the cargo capacity of the tag, get the tag. If not, get a single axle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Our first coach was a 38' and we felt it rode great. We drove it all over the country for 40,000 miles.

Then we traded for a better floor plan, which also moved us to a 43'. Wow, turns out there is a big difference. No more porpoising and it smoothed out some of the bumps. The second axle in the rear help absorb some of the shock.

Plus the added braking, we gained 13,000 lbs in over all weight, and can stop shorter then before.

Did I mention we have 10,000 lbs in cargo carrying capacity? We don't even think twice about stuff when packing.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

It's all been stated before as you have acknowledged. Not much more to say. To me, there are no "Cons", just "Pro's. That's our statement after six non-tags and two tags. To say more would just be repeating what you should already know.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Really obvious you've never read any of my threads, as I not only 'go on' I'm also know to 'run on' too!

I see the extra set brakes, and added CCC, and 'stability' as the key Plusses of Tags.

We have a 40' with ISl, and we like this coach due to the Galley Being So Large that my DW would say - yes, I can cook in this coach.

But, if shopping again, I would:

-Get the bigger block, ISM or BIG CAT or Detroit
-Go 42', so as to have three full bays, vs two 1/2 bays. (And note, most coaches at this level, have Aqua/Hydro Hot, so you loose full bay on the side of the coach that it is installed.
-Toss in a Three Stage Jake vs Two Stage we have on the ISL. (Or retarder if a Foretravel.) And you have some serious help for the downward side of he hill...

But, tag, non tag, 40', 42' - none are as important as interior liveability. Buy the coach that best matches your interior wants.

Have fun, and for those of you who know Executive on RV.Net - remember his saying 'Tag's just look cool..',
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #11

I've owned coaches since the early 70's both tag and non. Personally I'm staying with the tag because of the much better ride and handling.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The tag coaches will, in all probability be in the 43 to 45 foot range, so you do NOT loose storage capacity D/T the size of the tag in my experience.

The ride far outweighs the negatives, in my experience. The fuel mileage will be almost identical in my experience.

GET THE TAG!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
My first motorhome was a 40ft non tag fleetwood discovery. I thought it handled great, never had a problem.

I live 2 exits south of MHSRV and Ancira Motorhomes, so everyday I drive by and see the new coaches. The look of the Tag was what did Me in.
After driving several tags, the biggest thing I noticed is the elimination of the expansion joint rocking. Going down the highway, the discovery would start rocking slightly forward and backward (galloping?) and that was a very sedative feeling, especially after a long days drive. The tag does not do that.

It is very stable, yes. And I plan on selling it before I need new tires, so I don't see any downside.

It looks cool!

Wow, same story. Bought a new 39S Discovery (2008) and loved it and traded up to a new American Coach Revolution (2012) and love it more. Rides nice and we have the 1.5 baths and Aqua Hot etc. Oh, and I thought I was one of the few who really just wanted one because it looked cool!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Just bought a new 2014 Mountain Aire 4369 which has a tag. My old coach was a 2008 Dutchstar 4023 without tag. The ride is like the difference between night and day. THE POSITIVES FOR TAG OUT WEIGH THE NEGATIVES. I would buy the coach with the tag.
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote