Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

To the Grand Canyon from the North

We are planning to visit the South Rim of the Canyon from the Trailer Village CG in May. Plan to drive down from the North leaving I 15 to check out Bryce Canyon for a couple days and then to Page, AZ and down to the Village.

Am I correct in assuming the highway, US 89 and AZ 64 are typical two lane highways and suitable for a 40' class A and toad? Or, is there something I should be aware of? Any weather concerns in May?

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Dennis, I have not looked lately, but r89 washed out a couple of years ago, and they opened r 89t US 89 Update: shorter detour opens to Page, Lake Powell , Yes, they are all great roads to travel.....
Make plans to stay here Lake Powell: Wahweap Marina RV Park & Campground , if you like being on the water with a view........we had a end site with the lake in front of us along with the sun rise! One of the most wonderful places we have ever been, stayed 4 more days we liked it so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00287.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	84865  

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
US 89 south of Page is closed but there is US 89T that replaces it. It's all two lane good road. I have been up and down US 89 north of Flagstaff many times but I haven't been on AZ 64 between US 89 and the canyon. I am sure it is perfectly okay for your rig.
Be advised that going from Zion to US 89 on UT 9 will involve going through the Zion tunnel which has travel restrictions on large vehicles, see the NPS website for details. An alternate route from Zion is to use UT 59 out of Hurricane UT to Fredonia and up to Kanab to get on US 89.
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
You should have no problems on that route. They are good highways. As to the temporary 89T route, the regular road may be repaired by the time you get there:

Per that article, "Construction is currently underway, and is anticipated to be completed by late spring 2015."

As to weather, it will probably be very nice, but it's worth checking reports as you travel to be sure.

As mentioned above, IF you go through Zion, there is a tunnel that you'll have to pass through. Here's some information on the tunnel:

Enjoy your trip!
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your replies. This forum is the best $15 / Yr an RVer can spend.
Thanks for the heads up on the tunnel. When I was plotting a route using Good Sam, it actually detoured me around this tunnel but didn't say why.

This trip has been on "The List" for a long time and has finally made its way to the top. Really looking forward. Too bad our dollar had to tank but WTH...at least the fuel and beer is cheap.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Don't forget about the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I liked it better than the south.
Roger & Karen Johnson
2015 Discovery 40E
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Originally Posted by johnsonk555 View Post
Don't forget about the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I liked it better than the south.

X2. Don't miss it. You. Will be already THERE!!!

AKA: Captain Forehead

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote