Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I have always felt that what extended warranties provide best is peace of mind. Your situation could really use some peace of mind so I think you are thinking about this in the right way.

Waiting a year is pretty good advice since you are already covered by factory warranties. Don't forget to negotiate the price of the policy too.

FWIW, we bought a 6 year policy with Easy Care when we purchased our new DP in 2007. It is about to expire and they called me with an offer to renew. As a part of this process, they shared with me that they had paid all eight of my claims totaling $6200. I paid $6700 for the policy.

Best of luck to you.

Rick
Lets see, $6,200 - deductible, seem like you need another claim or two to break even.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #16

Take care of your rig and it will take are of you. If you want to support a bunch of wolves in sheeps clothing, buy the extended warranties. It's cheaper to just fix your own problems, then to join a group to fix them for you. They will make a profit and living off of you with there scare tactics. I don't respect them and have no use for them.all they have is a License to steal.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe I have been unlucky but I have had 9 repairs in the last 5 years all covered by my extended warranty. Repairs total 2 1/2 to 3 times what I paid for the policy.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Maybe I have been unlucky but I have had 9 repairs in the last 5 years all covered by my extended warranty. Repairs total 2 1/2 to 3 times what I paid for the policy.
Well that's why some people buy one brand and some another! Note to self, if you ever buy a Winnie, take out the insurance. Newmar or Jayco, no worry!
I can say this as I have had Jaycos and Newmars for the last 20 years. And like 3 repairs total, in 20 years. And 2 out of three under the factory warranty. Like I say take care of your rig. Some people can bend a crowbar in a sand box. These people need to buy all the protection they can get.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Listen to KSCRUDE, he is obviously smarter than I am.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #20

I had a 4 year EW on my 1st rig. $4000 cost. $1500 recovered in claims. Well, I felt good in the beginning of the EW.

I have put about $175 (average) per month into a "fixit" account since 2000 when I bought rig 2. It has gained in interest. It buys tires and such.

My expenses on rig 2 over about 11 years was less than $4000.

Now I have rig 3 and have 3.5 years left on my drive train warranty. I maintain it. The odds of a major drive train failure is very low.

Self-warranty works, but it takes discipline.

Just sayin......
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had a 4 year EW on my 1st rig. $4000 cost. $1500 recovered in claims. Well, I felt good in the beginning of the EW.

I have put about $175 (average) per month into a "fixit" account since 2000 when I bought rig 2. It has gained in interest. It buys tires and such.

My expenses on rig 2 over about 11 years was less than $4000.

Now I have rig 3 and have 3.5 years left on my drive train warranty. I maintain it. The odds of a major drive train failure is very low.

Self-warranty works, but it takes discipline.

Just sayin......
Just wondering, what kind of fridge do you have in your rig?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Just wondering, what kind of fridge do you have in your rig?
An eenie weenie teenie tiny ittie bittor 8cf Norcold that is not on the recall list.
Just 2 of us F/T. We dont need to stock food for a crowd. Easily enough for a week!
18 years. 3 small Norcolds.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It's cheaper to just fix your own problems, then to join a group to fix them for you.
This statement holds true for those with cyrstal balls.

Just think of the items you want protected by a warranty and type them into the search bar on this forum. Maybe nothing expensive ever breaks on motorhomes
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #24

Thank you very much for the time you took to reply, I follow you.
Tisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #25

Thank you for your honest comments, I think I will pass on this
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #26

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #27

Thanks so much, especially for the comments about Newmar and Jayco-I have great confidence in thedealer I bought through and they only have Newmar, Jayco and Tiffin for product
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #28

Thanks for the informative reply, I am definitely leaning that way