Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To winterize or not?

We have a leased site in North Georgia and want to leave coach all winter. If I leave heat pump/furnace on and bay heaters on will I still need to winterize? I will wrap the outside water hose and any other outsize lines. This is our first lease and I am not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Mary: If you are going to visit the RV regularly during the winter and will be in and out frequently...I might go the cost of leaving the RV unwinterized. But if you are just using it as a summer retreat....I would winterize...and fully retract sewer and water. The savings will be extremely justified. It usually takes me 40 min to winterize the coach and an additional 40 min to get the interior locked down for minimal mouse damage. The $10-15 I spend on winterizing....is far less than the monthly propane and electric bill of maintaining a fully ready coach.... In the spring as I back out of the winter mode ...it takes a bit longer to go thru the coach and get it ready for use again as I must do a full cleaning of the exterior and interior to get the place homey.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I heat pump will not be effecient and possibly not work below 35-40 degrees. Leaving things up to a furnace...I wouldn't trust it.

It would be safer to winterize.. Don't leave any sewer or water connected and for sure I wouldn't leave slides out.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It would be safer to winterize.. Don't leave any sewer or water connected and for sure I wouldn't leave slides out.
X2, any power outage could leave you with some very expensive repairs.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You did'nt say what part of N Georgia you were leasing the lot or how often you were planning to use the RV. Too many "what ifs" to cover all of the possibilities.

If you are in the mountains I would say winterize. Nothing worse than coming in to find a broken water line. Generally the line breaks in the most difficult (and costly) spot to repair. Its a Murphys law thing.

Out of the mountains is right on the cusp. Again too many possibilities to speculate on an answer.

What's Typical in North and Central Georgia?

I winterize our trailer even though we we only encounter the spring and fall weather. We winter in the south so miss the really cold temps. The cost is marginal compared to the down side.

There
Old 07-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I am a full timer.. Now I do not normally spend much time in GA but I do spend 2/3 of my winter in Fairplay SC (3 miles from GA along I-85)just off the freeway (Can see from my RV the other third is spent 17 miles away, directions depend on time of year.

Last winter while I was on a 50 amp site it hit 11 degrees, at this temp I had the furnace on blowing warm air into the basement water compartment, I had added electric heat, considting of a string of C-9 Christmas Tree lamps (Around 250 watts) under the fresh tank and both a 100 watt lamp in the waste end and a 150 watt heater,, ONE of the pex lines crossing over from one side to the other froze.. (PEX survives well under these conditions so all I had to do was wait for morning and flush the toilet with hot water overnight) (I have a six cup measuring cup, I simply filled it from the HOT side of the sink and used it to "Flush" the toilet).

And that was the worst.

So long as teh temps are above 20's you plan will work, if they expect lower temps I would drain the fresh water and dump holding tanks if possible,, I would not go beyond that.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Winterize. Easy. Cheap. Sure thing if done correctly.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Winterize. No need to worry and take chances all winters when you could be worrying about something else. Seriously, you will do well do listen to what these wise people are telling you
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Winterize is the safest solution but the OP did not say how often they would be using the MH during that time. If they were going to use it each weekend it would be a lot of winterizing to be redone.

Also do not know where it is parked, who will be keeping an eye on it (if anyone) so lots of guessing about an unknown situation.

Safest thing - Winterize.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Everyone for the great advice. We will be using the coach thru October and I think after that I will heed all advice and winterize. After all this is Georgia and the old saying is that (if you don't like the weather hang around a few days) it can be 75 in December or 25 you never know.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smart move to winterize. When you winterize you can get an adapter that will screw into your fresh water hose and the other end will fit in the quick release end of an air compressor. set the regulator on your air compressor about 60 psi and then with it on, open the faucets in your sinks and in your shower. do this several times until no more water runs out. flush the commode a couple of times until no more water runs out. If you have an ice maker leave the refrigerator on and take the ice out of the ice maker so that it will try to make ice. Pour a small amount of RV antifreeze in all of the sink and shower drains to keep the water in the trap from freezing. Drain the hot water heater and the fresh water tank. This procedure takes me about 20 minutes. If you have the compressor then all you have to buy I one gallon of RV antifreeze and the fresh water hose fitting which is under 10.00. We go camping a lot in the winter at times at least every other weekend. 20 minutes time when I get home and I do not have to worry about the weather dropping below freezing. To de winterize all I have to do is hook up to fresh water and open the faucets until I have water coming out of them.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well I am a full timer.. Now I do not normally spend much time in GA but I do spend 2/3 of my winter in Fairplay SC (3 miles from GA along I-85)just off the freeway (Can see from my RV the other third is spent 17 miles away, directions depend on time of year.

Last winter while I was on a 50 amp site it hit 11 degrees, at this temp I had the furnace on blowing warm air into the basement water compartment, I had added electric heat, considting of a string of C-9 Christmas Tree lamps (Around 250 watts) under the fresh tank and both a 100 watt lamp in the waste end and a 150 watt heater,, ONE of the pex lines crossing over from one side to the other froze.. (PEX survives well under these conditions so all I had to do was wait for morning and flush the toilet with hot water overnight) (I have a six cup measuring cup, I simply filled it from the HOT side of the sink and used it to "Flush" the toilet).

And that was the worst.

So long as teh temps are above 20's you plan will work, if they expect lower temps I would drain the fresh water and dump holding tanks if possible,, I would not go beyond that.
I spent last winter in Oklahoma near my daughters house. We found the smallest electric space heater wal mart had (cost 14.00) set the thermostat near the low end of the range. and put it in my wet bay area. It hit 6 degrees one night and stayed in the single digits for a week. We never had anything freeze. I had to go get propane once and when I secured the heater for traveling I hit the thermostat control. When I got back I hooked everything back up and that night I was watching the remote temp monitor I keep in the wet bay. The temp outside was 20 degrees and the temp in the wet bay was 100 I reset that pretty quickly. I do not have a ac power receptacle in the wet bay so I just ran an extension cord out to the campground power pedestal and plugged into the same 120 volt receptacle I had the heated water hose plugged into. The space heater was actually the cheapest method I found to heat and it had a thermostat so was not on all the time.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would winterize not leave anything to chance.

Information on winterizing plus other things.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter