Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

To winterize or not to winterzize, that is the question.

I will soon need to winterize as the will be several months where the Coach will be exposed up here in Upper Michigan , before we leave for the Keys in January. Can anyone tell me what the current standards are these days. Take it to dealer ? Do it your self , which I plan to do. Its been a while since my last MH so , what are some of the more common ways these days?.I have heard some people pump poly antifreeze through their water pump. anyone have eqperence it this procedure./

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2

At the minimum, drain your fresh water tank, black and gray water tanks, and your hot water heater. I would suggest pumping anti-freeze through your water lines and putting some in your traps. If you periodically run your coach to operating temps and exercise your generator, your batteries should maintain their charge until the trip south. Keep your tires properly inflated.

If you have a heated tank area, when you prepare to go south, keep the furnace on at a temp to keep things from freezing. With Murphy's law, the line that freezes and breaks will be the most difficult to repair.

Have a safe trip south.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

After draining water tanks, We use an air compressor to blow out water lines, and add some RV pink stuff only to drains and (don't forget) water pump.

Try to leave your coach plugged in to keep batteries charged.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #4

Darstar... I buy a name brand RV antifreeze. It is a sale prices now in most of the Walmarts and automotive stores. About $3-4 per gallon. Drain tanks (water, grey and black)... drain and shut off hot water heater (leave plug out) flip BY PASS valve so you are bypassing Hotwater heater for internal piping. Add 2 -4 gallons of RV antifreeze into the WATER FILL PORT on RV. Turn on water pump and let this RV Antifreeze flow into sink, turn on toilet and let some flow into Black water tank.... turn on shower and let some flow into tub. Then have a beer... Takes all of 20 min if you have done this once or twice....costs about $10
Then wash and prep frig leave frig open

cover furniture.... the end
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
After draining water tanks, We use an air compressor to blow out water lines, and add some RV pink stuff only to drains and (don't forget) water pump.

Try to leave your coach plugged in to keep batteries charged.
I do this as well. It is easier to restart and use the system in January if you do not have to flush out the antifreeze in the middle of the winter. Yet at the same time you are not on the hook for downed power lines, etc; Winter storms quite often will ice up the lines or blow them down. Dec and Jan can be the worst months of a winter! Just remember to get some antifreeze in the drain of the washer if you have one.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #6

OP, If you also have the Sanicon system be sure to operate it to get antifreeze in it. You did not mention which MH you have or engine. I have our MH just about ready to put away for the winter, but I am waiting for #1 diesel fuel to come out. Then I will fill my tanks and put it away.
In the past I have done the winterization of our MH but this year, being that it is 'new to us', I chose to have it done.
Have a safe trip in January!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
OP, If you also have the Sanicon system be sure to operate it to get antifreeze in it. You did not mention which MH you have or engine. I have our MH just about ready to put away for the winter, but I am waiting for #1 diesel fuel to come out. Then I will fill my tanks and put it away.
In the past I have done the winterization of our MH but this year, being that it is 'new to us', I chose to have it done.
Have a safe trip in January!
Sorry about that... I have an older Monaco Signature w/ M11 450 hp. Also Aqua hot system. Sanison system ? I keep it on shore power year around. Mybays are heated...somewhat. ? I think.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I will soon need to winterize as the will be several months where the Coach will be exposed up here in Upper Michigan , before we leave for the Keys in January. Can anyone tell me what the current standards are these days. Take it to dealer ? Do it your self , which I plan to do. Its been a while since my last MH so , what are some of the more common ways these days?.I have heard some people pump poly antifreeze through their water pump. anyone have eqperence it this procedure./
darstar
I winterize our coach twice each year.
Once on the way home to Wisconsin in April, and once in Oct., because we don't go south until late Dec.
I utilize most of usual winterization procedures that will be explained by other posts.
However I simply gravity drain the fresh water system... (I use NO RV antifreeze in, nor do I "blow out", the fresh water system).

BTW, that is NOT necessarily a recommendation...just what I do, and have done since '02.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

I use mels modified procedure, I just hooked air compressor to outside faucet of stick house, went to basement 1. opened faucets in laundry sink, 2. closed the street water line, 3. went to every faucet and let all the water blow out, 4. flushed the toilets and bailed most of the water out of the bowl, 5. got the gal of pink stuff and poured into all P traps and toilet bowls. Went back and opened every faucet and left it open...

Air compressor has been running about 45 minutes now and only fine mist coming out of the basement faucets.

Now I go out to the motorhome and connect the water hose and fill the tank 1/2 way. Now we can head south so I dont have to mess with the coach.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were in Oklahoma and had to winterize, I would drain all the lines and tanks and fill the traps with RV antifreeze plus a cup in the toilet. using my air compressor, I blew all of the lines to the low points.

Now that we full time, the intent is not to be where it is freezing, so no problems.

Ken
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

If you have a washer/dryer in your MH, you CANNOT use compressed air to "winterize' it, you must pump RV anti-freeze through it per mfgrs instructions. The Aqua-hot system should be tested for freeze point.
After that, I follow these instructions from RV University:

If you have any inline water filters remove and bypass before starting.
Drain the fresh water holding tank.
Drain and flush the gray and black holding tanks. Clean the black tank with a wand. Lubricate the termination valves.
Drain the water heater. Open the pressure relief valve and remove the drain plug. CAUTION (never drain the water heater when it is hot or under pressure).
Open all hot and cold faucets; don't forget the toilet valve and outside shower.
Locate and open low point drain lines. Using the water pump will help force water out, but turn it off as soon as the system is drained.
Recap all drains and close all faucets.
By-pass the water heater. If you do not have a by-pass kit installed the water heater will fill up with antifreeze before it goes through the water lines, wasting six gallons of antifreeze.
Install a water pump converter kit, or disconnect the inlet side of the pump (the line coming from the fresh water holding tank) and connect tubing from the pump into a gallon of RV antifreeze.
Turn the water pump on and pressurize the system. Starting with the closest faucet slowly open the hot and then cold valves until antifreeze appears. Replace antifreeze jug as required.
Repeat on all faucets from the closest to farthest away. Don't forget the outside shower.
Flush the toilet until antifreeze appears.
Turn the water pump off and open a faucet to release the pressure. Go to the city water inlet. Remove the small screen over the inlet and push in on the valve with a small screwdriver until you see antifreeze. Replace the screen.
Pour a cupful of antifreeze down each drain. Pour a couple of cups in the toilet and flush into the holding tank.
If your water heater has an electric heating element turn it off. This will protect the element if the unit is plugged in while being stored.
Make sure all faucets are closed.
Consult your owner manuals for winterizing icemakers and washing machines.
The unit is winterized.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter