Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years on and no complaints here. I am due for another coat, but that may wait till next year. I hear that polly glow is the same stuff with UV protection added.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Four years and still looks Great!!!!! Only one corner that lacked good prep had to be redone.

I have to chuckle when I see folks bemoaning the lack of uv protection, and then say their wax only lasts one season, while my ZEP lasts four.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Next question...

My coach is essentially all white, no dark colored gelcoat, only colors other than white are graphics, which are plastic stick on type. So, not real sure that the UV issue is really a big deal with no color to fade, if the gelcoat is protected by the Zep I assume it would be protected from oxidation. Again, is the UV missing from the product an issue for white gelcoat. Does carnuba wax, which it what I use after buffing, provide UV protection?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been using on my coach for four years now. Parked outside in the sun, snow, wind and rain everyday with no problems. Each spring I do give the coach a detailed washing followed with a recoating to restore areas stripped by the wash. No yellowing, peeling, cracking or other such problems but my coach is not painted and I would not recommend an owner to use the product on a painted coach. With full body paint stick to traditional washing and waxing products and methods.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
My coach is essentially all white, no dark colored gelcoat, only colors other than white are graphics, which are plastic stick on type. So, not real sure that the UV issue is really a big deal with no color to fade, if the gelcoat is protected by the Zep I assume it would be protected from oxidation. Again, is the UV missing from the product an issue for white gelcoat. Does carnuba wax, which it what I use after buffing, provide UV protection?
The sun will damage white gel coat and make it look like cr*p just as any color. It will also damage the zep. The sun will damage everything. I too have the white whale of motorhomes. My MH had been uv damaged from being stored outside all it's life. Very dull finish. I guess a professional could have brought it back to full luster with buffers and a whole lot of elbow grease. But I chose to do the floor wax option, and do it myself. As stated in my previous post, I thought of the floor wax as a base coat which fills in all the pits in the fiberglass caused by the sun damage and provided a nice smooth and shiny surface. To this I use(d) a spray on wipe off product which provides an even higher level of shine and contains a UV protectant. Takes just a little time a couple of times a year to reapply the spray on product. Much less work that waxing.

I have also recently had built a cover to reduce the amount of sun exposure. Not for this unit but for the next one.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
To this I use(d) a spray on wipe off product which provides an even higher level of shine and contains a UV protectant. Takes just a little time a couple of times a year to reapply the spray on product.
What is this magic elixir ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
What is this magic elixir ?
Ditto, please divulge.....

I have read about a product called Vivilon, but at $600 gallon, or $275 per quart, want to hear from users first. Application instructions exactly same as Zep instructions, but product is supposed to have u-v protection. Is that what you use?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Getting tired of buff and wax, and seriously considering the Zep method. I have some hesitation about the durability, yellowing, and peeling. I would like to hear from those that have long term experience with it. Have gone on line to look at NewGlass 2 and other similar products, I suspect that they are essentially the same product, packaged and marketed differently. That is the case I have found with some products that I have used on my boat, essentially same product marketed as "Marine" is 2 to 3 times the price.
Look forward to hearing from you good folks.
trode
Zep has over 3,500 product solutions for your cleaning and maintenance needs: Zep Superior Solutions ::: Product Catalog
Which particular Zep product are you thinking of using?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
trode
Zep has over 3,500 product solutions for your cleaning and maintenance needs: Zep Superior Solutions ::: Product Catalog
Which particular Zep product are you thinking of using?
Mel
'96 Safari
The one being discussed all over this forum, the floor wax for a finish on the exterior of the motorhome.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #24

Quote:
The one being discussed all over this forum, the floor wax for a finish on the exterior of the motorhome.
trode
Would that be this one? Wet-Look Floor Polish - Details
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the "Wet Look". One gallon and you will have some left over. I also have the instructions from someone on this site, If anyone wants the instructions Message me your email and I will send them.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wet look does not hold up as well as the high traffic. A slight difference in formula I believe.
Third year for mine, and this year I haven't did the touch up. Its peeling on decals but looks great elsewhere.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Zep

I took the plunge and put Zep on my 02 Monaco Dip last month... Washed the rig then used Bar Keepers friend on it then washed it again.. Applied the Zep to all the Fiber glass except the front and rear caps, used regular wax on them. Did not do lower portion of coach because it is painted and gelled it was in great shape... have had numerous comments on how good it looks... hope this helps ...
Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
I used the RM3 floor polish on 2000 36' DP, applied to fiberglas surfaces, not paint. After 2 years I had to redo the front cap above the windshield. My fault because the prep was not done well, it was hard to get to. Re-coated the MH then also. Again at 4+ years overall I applied 2 more coats with great results. The front cap did not peel again after I put more effort into the prep. I think it works really well, but preparation is the key. Still looked good at 6 years from initial application when I traded the RV.

RM3 was the original product, it became ZEP High Traffic when RM3 was discontinued.

Discussed at length here: Red Max Pro #3 Question

Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote