Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The back end of my MH was a mess, but hey, it's a 19 year old rig! Even using liquid rubbing compound with a high speed buffer only made a mess, and it could never clean up completely. I took Barkeepers Friend to it, rinsed thoroughly, and applied a half dozen coats of high traffic ZEP. I then applied a fresh coat over it after a year. It looked wonderful for the 2 1/2 years, probably better than when it was first made. Since then, it's starting to look a little rough, not yellowing or flaking off, just like the surface of the gelcoat under the product is being affected by the sun.

I plan to strip it off this winter and reapply. While I'm pleased that I've found something that makes it look good, even temporarily, the AZ sun will destroy anything it has access to.

There is no way I would want to apply this product to my entire coach! The effort to eventually remove and make look good again would be way more than I have in me. However, I wouldn't hesitate to apply to end caps that need a lot of help, and that can be stripped periodically to make look good again. This is not a "forever" cure for chalked up finishes, and there's no way I would ever use on a newer coach or over a base/clear coat! This is NOT a wax.... think more like a cheap clear coat paint.

I was also having problems with chalky trails running down the sides from the roof after a rain. I gave minimal preparation to the roof by washing it thoroughly and scrubbing with a broom, then applied one coat of the ZEP. After a year, I did the same thing. This has proved to be an effective way to stop the chalky streaks with no flaking or other detrimental effects of the product to date....!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #30
mre

My 5er has a gel coat rear cap. I too first used Zep about 2 years ago on the rear cap of my 5er. Originally, it looked fantastic. After about 9 months, it really started to deteriorate. I cleaned it up and reapplied Zep. Look good, but not a good at the previous year. Now my cap is a mess. I have used have tried stripper but with not real luck. I tried rubbing compound with little luck and I have used 800 grit sand paper, but he paper breaks down very quickly and I have to use an additional sheet. I think next, I will use a Scotch Brite pad and see what happens. The cap is at the point where I do not believe it can look an worse no matter what I do. I also live in Florida. Any other ideas?
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have been using Rejex on our coach since it was new and it still shines like new except for the vinyl decals that are peeling off due to sitting in the sun.

You do need to remove all of the old wax for best results. The makers of Rejex recommend Xtreme Clean to remove all of the old wax which they also sale.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
My 5er has a gel coat rear cap. I too first used Zep about 2 years ago on the rear cap of my 5er. Originally, it looked fantastic. After about 9 months, it really started to deteriorate. I cleaned it up and reapplied Zep. Look good, but not a good at the previous year. Now my cap is a mess. I have used have tried stripper but with not real luck. I tried rubbing compound with little luck and I have used 800 grit sand paper, but he paper breaks down very quickly and I have to use an additional sheet. I think next, I will use a Scotch Brite pad and see what happens. The cap is at the point where I do not believe it can look an worse no matter what I do. I also live in Florida. Any other ideas?
Get a car wash brush with a long handle and 2 buckets. In one bucket pour about 3 inches of Zep stripper. In the other bucket just fill with warm water and vinegar.. And a microfibre mop.. Start at the BOTTOM! THIS IS IMPORTANT Do small sections at a time side to side then work your way up. First dip brush, apply to a 4x4 section. Rubbing in circular motions. Then do the same thing with the clear water and microfibre mop. Immediately rinse with a fairly good pressure hose. Repeat until done.
After this rewash the whole area with amonia and bleach mixture with some dawn dish soap. This may make some color bleed out of stripes. Don't be alarmed.

Now, after this, reapply the Zep high traffic floor sealer. 5 thin coats..
About now you're saying "are you crazy??!!". Maybe, but I've found the secret to touch up reapplication is once a year just wash with amonia, bleach, and vinegar. Then apply 2 coats. I don't know how often you wash your rv, but I use a waterless wash system unless I've been on the road and have built up dirt and grime. Then I use turtle wax
car wash with wax. Its easy, one step just rinse with water.

My MH is 15 years old. I have the whole thing done with Zep. The front and back caps are really the only areas I had to strip like this. I reapply 2 coats every year, its been 4 years now and I spend 5 months in the Southwest. That sun is even worse than Florida.

Just PM me if you need more info.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
for many years I used Pledge clear floor wax. After reading about other using Zep I decided to try it. I find the Zeb breaks down after about 6-8 months and look like crap. I never had that with the Pledge.

Now I am removing the Zep with straight remover using a scotch bright scrub brush and rinsing immediately. I will reapply but this time with pledge clear.

I always use dawn and bleach to clean but also use NAPA car and truck wash powder. It makes great suds and takes off black streaks etc. a little powder goes a long way. Expensive but it last.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
mre

Thanks for you suggestions. I will probably get started this week on the rear cap. We maybe trading soon.

thanks again
ed
mre is offline   Reply With Quote