Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
To Zep or not to Zep, that is my question!

Getting tired of buff and wax, and seriously considering the Zep method. I have some hesitation about the durability, yellowing, and peeling. I would like to hear from those that have long term experience with it. Have gone on line to look at NewGlass 2 and other similar products, I suspect that they are essentially the same product, packaged and marketed differently. That is the case I have found with some products that I have used on my boat, essentially same product marketed as "Marine" is 2 to 3 times the price.

Look forward to hearing from you good folks.

Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did RMP3 (same thing as ZEP) when our other A was only a year old and results satyed with a minor touchup till we sold it three years later. Thin multiple -four or five - coats was the trick. Were I spilled some and did not clean it up YELLOW spots. As they say test a small area first.

Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tried to polish our unit and could not get a satisfactory job with any kind of wax. Always swirls and streaks. Applied ZEP and it looks great. You have to wipe on about five coats before it looks right, but then it looks great. One gallon will last for years.

This year, after three Summers I redid it. A couple coats and it looked good as new.

I use a spray bottle and a rag to spread it. Goes on quick and dries quickly as well. As soon as one coat is on I can start the next coat.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
I did our '93 Pace Arrow over 4 years ago and it still looks great. I have redone the front a couple of times because I'm always washing off the bugs. So easy to apply, just be sure to remove any stains before waxing. BonAmi and Scotch green scrub pad followed by a TSP rinse prepares the surface.
bbmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Did the PolyGlow stuff several years ago. Looked decent for about a year then turned to crud. I am still trying to get that garbage off. Remember this, zep or any of the other floor polish products people have tried have zip, zero, nada, UV inhibitors in them. The surface will eventually fade and start to look old, shiny but OLD! Stripping the floor polish off cleaning and brightening the surface so you can apply more is going to be a long dirty job. Thanks, but no thanks, I will spend the time and effort to maintain my outside using products designed for the job.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
I am working like a dog to get the zeb wax off my motorhome. I don't blame the zeb wax I blame me. They never said it was for outdoor use and it has no uv protection.
I live in florida and I don't have a garage for my rv. I washed it I buffed the whole rv and but on the zep wax. I couldn't believe how great it looked.It has been a year and six months and the one side of the rv that is in the shade looks ok. The rear cap and the other side that are in the sun lasted three months and looked like hell.
I started trying to get the wax off and go back to a good auto wax and spent the next month or two taking off the zep wax and and rewax the whole rv. I think the zep would last a while if you garage your rv or the sun is not as hot as where I park mine. I may have put it on to thick as I put on at least 4 coats of zep but I know I
did all the prep that is needed to get the coach ready and if it had lasted it sure looked great when it was done but it just don't take the sun.
jimmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
I have replace sections of peeling clear coat with Zep Wet Look.

It matches the clear coat sections almost perfectly.

It wears well in our 105 degree Sacramento Sun for three years so far. Annual touch up coat may be the key.

However, I have only applied the stuff over Gel Coat. Never over two stage Paint. So have limited experience.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too applied it over gel coat and we also store our rig indoors when not in use. Just so you know.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I applied it to the front area around engine area only and it has started to turn yellow. It's been on about 8 months now and RV is parked under cover. So back to waxing I go. Just try a small area and give it time and review it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
I put Zep on my fiberglass roof in January and it has been in the sun ever since. I looked at it last week and it is still white and shiny. I did not put it on the sides of the RV.
2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
2006 Honda CR-V Air Force One
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
I have not used ZEP or RMP, but I did use good old Mop and Glo. Looks good after a couple of years. Make sure you do a really good job of prep as if you should apply it over dirt, it will be there for a long time. It does takes quite a number of coats depending on how bad the surface was to start with.

None of the floor wax products will have uv protection as far as I know, but I don't care. I consider the acrylic products a base coat to which I then use a spray on wipe off product that has uv protection and enhances the already nice shine.

I would only use the floor wax option on a unit that has already suffered sun damage.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
If ZEP is used on the roof, how is it removed when doing the annual inspection and re-seal?

I currently use Turtle Wax Ice spray wax, goes on easy and the wax seems to last a long time.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
I agree with 450 Donn and jimmyz. I had my motorhome washed and wax at a campground in Sevierville,Tn. by a nut head telling me he had this miracle wax he had invented. I fell for it only to find that It was Zep floor wax. It has no uv protection and started to show mottled areas where the wax was failing. It took me 3 days to fully restore the lusted of my coach. My advice; don't apply this garbage on your Rv, use a top quality vehicle wax.

Crawfish39 is offline   Reply With Quote