Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Toad air brakes

Hi I just installed an air braking cylinder in mt GMC Terrain and I wonder where is a good spot to get the air line into the car i don't want to drill a hole unless I have to Thanks
Supertoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Toad air brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoolie View Post
Hi I just installed an air braking cylinder in mt GMC Terrain and I wonder where is a good spot to get the air line into the car i don't want to drill a hole unless I have to Thanks

I was having a problem locating a spot to sneak the hose in on our Suburban. Ended up running it down next to front side of door from the engine compartment and let the door seal close on it. No problems in the 3 years it has been in place.
Unless I pointed it out you would never even notice the air line inside the door compartment area.
Getting ready to sell the Suburban and will uninstall, so no extra holes to deal with on the firewall.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Not to be condescending or in any way sarcastic but, I just don't understand why it's hard to drill a hole for something that's IMPORTANT as running a brake line wire/air line/cable. I mean, the factory drilled (actually stamp/pressed) holes all over the place and, the vehicle hasn't fallen apart yet or rusted out. I mean it's quite simple, drill the appropriate size hole, install a grommet, run your air line or cable or wire through it, DONE. And it looks just like the factory did it.
The factory dose a pretty good job of sealing these vehicles up now days but, a grommeted hole works just fine.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Not to be condescending or in any way sarcastic but, I just don't understand why it's hard to drill a hole for something that's IMPORTANT as running a brake line wire/air line/cable. I mean, the factory drilled (actually stamp/pressed) holes all over the place and, the vehicle hasn't fallen apart yet or rusted out. I mean it's quite simple, drill the appropriate size hole, install a grommet, run your air line or cable or wire through it, DONE. And it looks just like the factory did it.
The factory dose a pretty good job of sealing these vehicles up now days but, a grommeted hole works just fine.
Scott
AHH!!! Let me explain.

Not something I am proud of but when we purchased our Explorer I removed the air brake system from our old Explorer and proceeded to move it to the new on. When it came time I could find no way to get through the firewall so I got out my drill and drilled through. Think; pushing hard, no go, no go, drill goes through. Right through the wiring harness.

New car, no wiring harness available. New wiring harness had to be built. Three weeks without car. Luckily my insurance covered all but the deductible. If there is a next time it will be installed at the dealer.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
AHH!!! Let me explain.

Not something I am proud of but when we purchased our Explorer I removed the air brake system from our old Explorer and proceeded to move it to the new on. When it came time I could find no way to get through the firewall so I got out my drill and drilled through. Think; pushing hard, no go, no go, drill goes through. Right through the wiring harness.

New car, no wiring harness available. New wiring harness had to be built. Three weeks without car. Luckily my insurance covered all but the deductible. If there is a next time it will be installed at the dealer.
bdpreece,
I see your point. It's tough to take it when you're trying to do a job, save a few bucks and maybe learn something in the process only to do damage that someone else has to repair. And, in my lifes worth of DIY projects, I too have made my share of screwups. But, in a case like yours, it does pay to take a few extra minutes, or even an hour or so, to make dead sure of your actions, before you take any action. We all could say, "You should have known where you were drilling". But, it's done and, deal with it. It doesn't mean you can't learn from it and, maybe take better precautions next time. Good luck on your next one.
Scott
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

Just curious as to what type of air brake line has to go through the firewall? I've had the M&G system on three different toads with the current one being an Avalanche. With the air cylinder on the master cylinder, the air line just runs down to a coupler next to the license plate. Pretty simple.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Crasher, my air cylinder hooks to the brake pedal just like a blue ox one. I worried about hitting wires like the other post mentioned , I will drill a hole but was hoping there was a rubber seal on a hole that someone knew about ,thanks to all that responded
Supertoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Supertoolie,
When I installed my braking system in my 2016 Ford Fusion I ran the line from the engine compartment inside the front fender liner and inside the bottom splash panel and drilled up into the area below the driver's seat which is where I had to end up anyway. Put a ninety degree fitting at the bottom and the top. No problems to date.
Keep Smiling,
Bob R
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

When I set my CR-V up, not air line, but a bunch of wires, I came through the rubber grommet around the steering column. The hole in the firewall was quite a bit larger than the steering column so it allowed a lot of room to poke through the side of the grommet. Have a look to see what room you may have there.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Just curious as to what type of air brake line has to go through the firewall? I've had the M&G system on three different toads with the current one being an Avalanche. With the air cylinder on the master cylinder, the air line just runs down to a coupler next to the license plate. Pretty simple.
Crasher,
M & G is the only air actuated system that does not need to be inside the toad. There are other air actuated systems, SMI to name one, that has an air line that needs to enter the inside of the vehicle to be attached to a small air cylinder that is attached to the brake arm or pedal.
Scott

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes, toad