Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
MPH
Senior Member / RVM 89
 
MPH's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Posts: 1,999
Toad and electrical connection to coach

I have lost or misplaced the electrical connector that "marries" the motorhome and car we tow behind. The installers screwed up pretty bad and put a 7 pin connector n the front of our Honda Fot and a 7 pin connector on the back of our coach.

A great audio/RV electrician rigged a 4-wire cord and we were fine. I lost that cord somehow.

I bought a 7-wire, 7-pin cord. There is one connector and open wires on the other end. I bought an extra 7-pin connector for the other end. My question is this: Is it safe for me to wire the 7-pin connector to the end that goes in the car's 7-pin receptacle? Will I blow any lights or anything? I only need 4 wires connected: tail lights, turn signals, running lights, brake lights; but I'm stuck with a 7-pin connector on my car.
__________________

__________________
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,659
As long as you map what each pin does on the back of the RV and then what each pin on the front of the car does, then make the connections on the new umbilical match. If you're lucky, the pins on both connectors were wired to the standard patterns used for trailer wiring.

This is the 7 pin connector, if yours is the 7 blade connector, go here to see the normal wiring pattern.

__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
RVM1
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 13,414
Blog Entries: 1
Toad and electrical connection to coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

A great audio/RV electrician rigged a 4-wire cord and we were fine. I lost that cord somehow.

If that great tech is still nearby, I would have him make up one more (or two? ) and tip him heavily!
Or maybe he can do the trick with the 7-wire you have?
Or a U-Haul shop may be able to fix you up?
Or should I go to my corner and Mutate?
If I was there with my volt meter, we would be done already, and you would owe me a song!
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,581
MPH-

The installer didn't necessarily "screw up." I installed 7-pin connectors on our former coach and our Honda Fit. You may want those extra wires for other purposes (such as sending a signal from the braking system to the dash in the coach, or for battery charging on the Fit).

If you attach the connector correctly to the cable, you should have no problems using a 7-wire cable.

So, you have a cable like this and an end like this?

There are three versions of 7-pin connectors. Bob ("BFlinn181") put a picture of one in his post. I rely on this Web page from etrailer to show which pins do what. If your cable and connectors have flat pins rather than round, then you should use the "7 Way RV Standard" pin assignments shown.

The cable is a straight-through. That is, each pin in the one end connects to the same pin in the other end. This makes it very easy to test.

Do not rely on the color codes of the wires. They may or may not match the colors shown in the etrailer diagram. Instead, concentrate on putting each of the wires on the correct pin.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
MPH
Senior Member / RVM 89
 
MPH's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As long as you map what each pin does on the back of the RV and then what each pin on the front of the car does, then make the connections on the new umbilical match. If you're lucky, the pins on both connectors were wired to the standard patterns used for trailer wiring.

This is the 7 pin connector, if yours is the 7 blade connector, go here to see the normal wiring pattern.

The schematic on the package shows which wires go where. I am going to put it together and try it.
__________________
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
MPH
Senior Member / RVM 89
 
MPH's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If that great tech is still nearby, I would have him make up one more (or two? ) and tip him heavily!
Or maybe he can do the trick with the 7-wire you have?
Or a U-Haul shop may be able to fix you up?
Or should I go to my corner and Mutate?
If I was there with my volt meter, we would be done already, and you would owe me a song!
Dave, that guy was in Cottonwood, AZ. Don't you know I wish I'd had him make me up an extra cord.....
__________________
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
RVM1
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 13,414
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Dave, that guy was in Cottonwood, AZ. Don't you know I wish I'd had him make me up an extra cord.....

Yep!
BTW, I have a 4-wire. I have no idea what the other 3 might do.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 24,079
Here are the standards that RoadMaster publishes:
http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-4959-01.pdf
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,659
If the old 4 wire modified cable worked between the RV and Toad, it probably doesn't make any difference whether the set up was correctly wired or not, a simple 7 wire umbilical cord would connect everything the way it was. The unused wires could be used in the future for a charge line, back up lights, etc.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
powercat_ras's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yep!
BTW, I have a 4-wire. I have no idea what the other 3 might do.
4 wire trailer wiring system:

Yellow: Left - Flash for turn, solid when towing vehicle brake is applied
Green: Right - Flash for turn, solid when towing vehicle brake is applied
Brown: Running lights, on when towing vehicle running lights are on

White: Ground from towing vehicle, return current path for the bulbs connected
to Yellow, Green, Brown

At least on my Winnebago Vista 7 way connector, it's not as has been described by prior posters. 4 of the pins are what is shown above, and a simple 7:4 adapter will convert to the standard 4 wire trailer wiring connector.

The 7 way on a Winnebago is (fairly sure it's standard on Ford F53 chassis of all makes):

Pin 1: Ground

Pin 2: Blue: Output of the towing vehicle trailer brake controller, if equipped.
Used for trailers with electric brakes and tow dollies with electric brakes.

Pin 3: Brown: Running lights

Pin 4: Varies (Black or Red): Positive 12 volts from the towing vehicle
when key is in run
position, fed via a 20 amp circuit. Used to charge aux battery on trailers
or tow dollies with electric brakes and breakaway switch, or used
as a charge line to keep toad battery charge up when towing with key on

Pin 5: Yellow: Left turn / brake

Pin 6: Green: Right turn / brake

Pin 7: Varies (Black or Red): Backup lights

Note that pin 4 and 7 may be wired opposite on many vehicles. Rest are pretty uniform.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
4 wire trailer wiring system:

Yellow: Left - Flash for turn, solid when towing vehicle brake is applied
Green: Right - Flash for turn, solid when towing vehicle brake is applied
Brown: Running lights, on when towing vehicle running lights are on

White: Ground from towing vehicle, return current path for the bulbs connected
to Yellow, Green, Brown

At least on my Winnebago Vista 7 way connector, it's not as has been described by prior posters. 4 of the pins are what is shown above, and a simple 7:4 adapter will convert to the standard 4 wire trailer wiring connector.

The 7 way on a Winnebago is (fairly sure it's standard on Ford F53 chassis of all makes):

Pin 1: Ground

Pin 2: Blue: Output of the towing vehicle trailer brake controller, if equipped.
Used for trailers with electric brakes and tow dollies with electric brakes.

Pin 3: Brown: Running lights

Pin 4: Varies (Black or Red): Positive 12 volts from the towing vehicle
when key is in run
position, fed via a 20 amp circuit. Used to charge aux battery on trailers
or tow dollies with electric brakes and breakaway switch, or used
as a charge line to keep toad battery charge up when towing with key on

Pin 5: Yellow: Left turn / brake

Pin 6: Green: Right turn / brake

Pin 7: Varies (Black or Red): Backup lights

Note that pin 4 and 7 may be wired opposite on my vehicles. Rest are pretty uniform.
If Pin 4 is "12v + when ignition is on", used for electric brakes (whether a tow dolly or any trailer with electric brakes) the brakes would be applied full strength with a turn of the key in the RV and the trailer would be dragged with the wheels locked up!

And again, if the OP's 7 pin socket on the RV and Toad matched, there's no need to build a 4 wire conversion cord, any 7 pin umbilical cord would work.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
powercat_ras's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If Pin 4 is "12v + when ignition is on", used for electric brakes (whether a tow dolly or any trailer with electric brakes) the brakes would be applied full strength with a turn of the key in the RV and the trailer would be dragged with the wheels locked up!

And again, if the OP's 7 pin socket on the RV and Toad matched, there's no need to build a 4 wire conversion cord, any 7 pin umbilical cord would work.
My post is correct. IT DOES NOT SAY CONNECT TRAILER BRAKES TO PIN 4, only to connect the battery that energizes the trailer brakes full strength ONLY if the breakaway switch operates. The battery connection is to charge the battery when towing.

Trailer brakes connect to pin 2, which is fed by a trailer brake controller that puts out 0-12 volts depending on how much de-acceleration is sensed by the trailer brake controller and how its configured.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,659
You are correct, but Pin 4 could also be used for a charge line for the Toad battery. The small 12v battery on trailers with electric brakes is charged by Pin 4. The battery only comes into play if the trailer breaks away. Then the break away switch, pulled on by the tether cable, uses the battery to apply the brakes. The brake controller works through Pin 2.

All of this is off topic.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
MPH
Senior Member / RVM 89
 
MPH's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Posts: 1,999
And it's all a moot point now, because I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a 6' 7-pin blade cord plus an extra 7-pin "end" piece. I connected the extra piece to the exposed wires on the cord, capping off the three I didn't need. So, I have the 4 needed wires connected. Everything is working perfectly! Hooked up the Fit today and no problems. 👍

Thanks for all the replies, fellas.
__________________

__________________
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical, toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toad electrical connection problem michguy Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 11-21-2015 09:12 AM
Lubricating toad electrical connection? FlyingDiver Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 09-04-2008 07:57 AM
Headlamp electrical connection covers tm2go Newmar Owner's Forum 5 07-06-2007 04:01 PM
CB electrical connection on '07 Adventurer 38T PORCHDOG Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 04-05-2007 05:20 AM
Headlamp electrical connection covers New Member Check-In 5 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.