Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #1

I recently read an article recommending the use of a bungee cord wrapped to the steering wheel of the toad while you are towing to keep the steering wheel from moving all the way left or right and causing the front tires to drag sideways [leading quickly to tire failure or a fire from the friction]. Is this a real problem that may occur in normal towing? If so, exactly how should the bungee be fixed to allow some play but provide the required steering wheel movement restriction?
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #2

I recently read an article recommending the use of a bungee cord wrapped to the steering wheel of the toad while you are towing to keep the steering wheel from moving all the way left or right and causing the front tires to drag sideways [leading quickly to tire failure or a fire from the friction]. Is this a real problem that may occur in normal towing? If so, exactly how should the bungee be fixed to allow some play but provide the required steering wheel movement restriction?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #3

I cannot speak for using a bungee cord, but I have never used anything on my wheel. I tow a Honda CRV now and previously I towed a chevy Malibu and have had no problems with my tires on the toad. s/Toby
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Even though I've heard of this years ago, no one I know does this.

Also, I don't believe any of the toad manufacturers recommend this.

If the toad's wheels do not track properly, then there is a front end alignment problem with the toad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

Thanks Toby. I've been towing a toad for about a year now and have never heard of doing this either.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

Thanks Route 66. I've never done this or even heard of this before.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #7

The caster adjustment on your front suspension keeps that from happening. If not then something is binding, you need an alignment or the toad is severly overloaded in the back. You need the front wheels to turn and follow the towing vehicle otherwise they will scuff up and wear out more quickly.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
paz

I have heard of using a bungee cord to keep the wheels straight, but I think it was on an older vehicle (possibly a Subaru?). Whatever make it was, it could be towed as far as the transmission was concerned, but the vehicle did not track well. I think most of the newer vehicles that are recommended for towing 4 down don't have problems with tracking.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A bungy is used when a vehicle is towed with its rear wheels on a dolly. That's because the caster of the front wheels is working against you when the car is towed backwards, so you need something to hold the wheels straight. You don't need a bungy when flat towing forward unless there is a wheel alignment problem - and then the solution is to fix the alignment..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #10

Thanks RV Roamer! I'll try not to tow my Jeep toad backwards on a dolly.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn't mention what kind of Jeep you have, but I tow a raised Wrangler with 31" tires and have never had an issue tracking. The Itasca with the Freightliner chassis has a 55 degree wheel cut, and I can turn both in a residential cul-de-sac without a problem. The Jeepster just tracks right behind. Just remember to unlock the steering wheel before you tow!!
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #12

Thanks SargeW. I have never had a problem w/ tracking either, I was just trying to get a sanity check on a recent article I read [I think in Family Motor Coach magazine] that stated that a bungee cord should be used on the toad steering wheel to prevent full motion of the wheel that could cause the tires to go full turn and bind up causing the front wheels to drag along the pavement. Not one person who has responded so far has ever heard of this nor had the problem mentioned in the article.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #13

Once while turning sharp in soft sand the wheels bound and dug in.Under those conditions I don't think a bungee would have made a difference.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yudamann:
I was just trying to get a sanity check on a recent article I read [I think in Family Motor Coach magazine] that stated that a bungee cord should be used on the toad steering wheel to prevent full motion of the wheel that could cause the tires to go full turn and bind up causing the front wheels to drag along the pavement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are lots of errors and misrepresentations in motorhome magazines.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote