Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
we use a blue ox to toad our jeep
wife just gave up her lincoln pick up for a 2012 ford explorer which is toadable 4 down so for 349 bux i can add her car to our toading list, brakebudddy is already in the arsenal so all we need is a set of magnetic tow lights . i install my own base plate twice first on a 2010 jeep and then on the 2011 easy job with great instructions

just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Two things to consider:
1/ Four down you can't back up with the toad hooked up, so you have to be more specific about where you put your coach for things like fueling or parking.
2/ Dolly towing you have to put the dolly somewhere, it is not fun backing into a spot with a trailer on a motor home.

Someone posted that a Jeep is the easiest compared to a vehicle with a kit, I agree, but I include any vehicle that can be towed stock without either a speed/distance limit, or a mod. This includes GM trucks that are true 4WD. There is a good guide published and available on line by Motor Home Magazine, just google "dingy towing guide", there are issues on line for past years so you can include used vehicles.

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One other option not mentioned here is towing 4 wheels UP ... on a flatbed or enclosed trailer. We tow on an open, flatbed trailer. I don't see too many of us out there, but there are a few of us that I have seen in our travels

We're towing this way mostly out of necessity as our 4 wheel drive VW can't be towed 4 down or on a dolly. It wasn't practical for us to trade in our VW when we bought our motorhome, so a trailer was a necessity, as was a motorhome that had sufficient towing capacity. At the end of the day, we are pulling an extra ~1700lbs for the trailer alone, but we can backup when we need to - and yes, we've had a few times where we have HAD to backup, and I also use the trailer to tow things with our VW, so it is a dual-purpose trailer.

From a cost perspective, we spent about $2,000 on the trailer, taxes, registration and property taxes. It seems like that's about the average of what some spend to purchase the parts to tow their "specific" vehicle 4 down.

When we looked at it from that perspective, we were still in the camp of towing on a trailer. I certainly feel that the trailer gives us more flexibility and more positives than negatives ...

- if we need to backup while connected to the motorhome, it's a matter of space, not ability to backup. This has been beneficial to us a few times in the last year.

- behind the motorhome, we can tow anything under 3,300 pounds that fits on the trailer. If we want a new car, there's no new hardware to buy. We just drive it up on the trailer and strap it down.

- I have the load or unload down to an easy 10-15 minutes. If it's raining, yes it still stinks, but there's no getting on the ground and good raingear keeps me relatively dry.

- if it gets too tight, we can take the car off the trailer, and tow the trailer with the car.

- we can use the trailer with our VW for trips to big box stores, the lumberyard and more

- using a larger tow vehicle, we can tow about 7,000 pounds on the trailer.

On the downside, I will agree that with the vehicle we are towing, we pay a price for towing an extra 1,700 pounds for the trailer ... but if we were towing a bigger, heavier truck or SUV 4 down, we might be near the same weight anyway. So at the end of the day, that variable depends on what you're towing.

The other factor that might need to be weighed in is accessability of campsites and parking the RV, trailer and car. For us, in 4,000 miles of travelling, we've only had one instance where the site was not large enough and that was dry camping at Richmond Raceway for the NASCAR weekend. We knew ahead of time that we would be too long for the spot, so we just bought two campsite tickets and used the space next to us to park the VW and trailer. We ended up having a huge campsite!

During our travels last summer we visited KOA's, private campgrounds,friends, family, State Parks, NASCAR tracks and never had a problem finding a place to park the car and trailer ... bumper to bumper we are about 53 feet long.

While it's not an option for everyone, it is a cost effective and easy to manage option to consider.
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Added Expense

We also have a Bounder DP and tow a Honda CRV with it. We've taken dozens of trips and have never had a situation where we had to back up. If I had to I could unhitch the toad. It only takes me about 5 minutes max. But in the year we've had our Bounder it has never happened.

A tow dolly is another maintenance item in my humble opinion. In addition to having to stow it somewhere whenever it's not in use. That goes double for a flatbed or enclosed trailer. We don't have a place to store either.

Depending on which state you live in you may be required to add a toad braking system. In some states it's optional but many believe it should be mandatory everywhere. Toad Braking systems run anywhere from $700 to $1500. That's in addition to the tow bar, tow-plate, lighting mods etc.

There are always used tow bars for sale on eBay. I wouldn't trust a used tow plate even if they were available.

Installing a tow plate and adding lights to a toad is not rocket science. But having done a few I can tell you it's not for the feint of heart. Take a look at the installation instructions for your car at the roadmaster web site for your car and decide if you're comfortable pulling the front end off your car and running wires to the tail lights etc.

Please put the year and model number of your rig in your sig on this board. It will save time when you have questions about things that might be model specific.

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
Thanks to everyone for your help. Leaning towards 4 down, but we will do some more reading first.
Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #20

I've towed at least five different cars over the years behind the motor homes - two on a dolly (no not at the same time) and three with tow bars. My preference is the tow bar, for me it's easier to hook up the tow bar then the Dolly & car.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a car that can be towed 4 down but when we needed the parts, well they weren't available for 4-6 weeks. That wouldn't work as we were leaving in two. SOOOO we purchased our dolly. I don't mind it at all. When you figure out the $$$$ it works out close to the same. The one thing I do like is that I didn't have to modify the car at all so if I should decide to sell it I wouldn't have to put it back to it's natural state. Not all people are looking for a car they can tow. Also if we want to tow a different vehicle we have that option as well. Would I go that way again? Sure, but that's just me. Alot of people will have nothing to do with them. Well I hope you can decide on what's best for you. Good luck and hope all works out.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote