Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Toads

We have been traveling in our 5th wheel for sometime now. we see many class A owners without toads, what do you do when you get to your destination.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Enterprise, they'll pick you up. So will uber.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toads

If it's just a weekender or so stock up stay put and enjoy!
Lakeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #4

We went toadless for 3 years. We made sure we had all we needed with us. For our weeklong trips my wife followed in our truck. We then purchased a toad :-)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
If it's not too far, the wife can follow in the car. Do you ever see a motorhome on the highway with all the cars except one whizzing past? That's the wife.
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #6

We call for a rental. As already mentioned, Enterprise will deliver it right to most camp grounds. We have been in a few locations where they couldn’t deliver a car the same day.
Keith46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
One year our toad, in for repairs, wasn't finished when it was time for our vacation. We called Enterprise when we arrived at our destination. Even if we hadn't, I usually WAY overpack in the food category, so we could've just stayed at the campground & enjoyed its amenities.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Toads

If you are adventurous, Uber and Enterprise may not always provide service in remote areas.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
We have been traveling in our 5th wheel for sometime now. we see many class A owners without toads, what do you do when you get to your destination.
What do you do when you arrive at your destination? What about when you potentially break down? What about when you're not in an area where there's any UBER or CAB, or any form of a rental car? What about an emergency, either mechanical or health wise? All of those conditions WARRANT A TOAD, PERIOD!! We wouldn't depend on others (Uber/cab/ or any other form of rental) for transportation if we were paid to.

The flexibility and maneuverability at any given time, running an errand, going to breakfast or dinner or lunch, or going to get a needed RV part, or supplies and food for the RV and a whole zillion other things waaaaaaaaaaaay outweigh the massive inconvenience of the Uber/Taxi thing.

As for the additional "load" on the coach for towing. Well, to us, if you have to worry about the additional load, vs the looooooong list of the above benefits, then you shouldn't be RVing. I surely don't want to sound pessimistic but, it's just plain logical to have a toad.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

toads

Should of been more specific. was thinking along the lines of sight seeing when you get to a destination? I would think renting a car could get expensive
Old 06-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Maybe define what you mean by "destination" The campground or the attraction?

If you don't want to rent, you would need to pick campgrounds with walking/biking distance of attractions. Or, like with Cherry Hill Park (Washington DC), take advantage of the park's bus which will take you to the train station & then you can hoof it when you get to DC. Grand Canyon Railway RV Park also has a train to get you to The Canyon.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

toad

talking about campground of choice.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolhuijo View Post
If it's not too far, the wife can follow in the car. Do you ever see a motorhome on the highway with all the cars except one whizzing past? That's the wife.

If he's lucky it's the husband. Personally I just wish my wife would drive anything.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
If he's lucky it's the husband. Personally I just wish my wife would drive anything.
That's too bad Partner. I expressed the need to learn to drive our motorhomes waaaaaaaaaay back when the kids were barely old enough to drive and, the wife was a bit apprehensive too. But, I stressed the point(s) of what would happen if I got injured or sick etc. I said, what you gonna do, sit here where ever we are and melt away? So, I taught them all to drive it. And guess what, I got severely injured in an off road accident and one of the kids drove our 34' coach, pulling a 20 trailer, while other one, along with the wife, attended to me.

The kids have been extremely appreciative of that early learning and have been driving their own rigs now for several years. The wife, she's as good as they get. She handles our D/P along with our toad like it's a family car. I snooze quite comfortably in the co-pilot's seat while she's at the helm. I always try and encourage guys to encourage their wives to drive their rigs. You never know when anything might happen.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads