Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Seems I may have unnecessarily worried. I talked to Thor who was supportive. They cannot imagine the tires wearing to much in 5900 miles. They want me to take it to get the alignment checked then will take next steps for resolution. The local Ford dealer does big truck alignments but not MH. I called the MH dealer back to get a recommendation and they stepped up to bat; they gave me a recommendation, set up an appointment for today and said they will do all the coordination and paperwork between the tire dealer and Thor.

More as it develops.
Thanks for the feedback! This sounds more like my experience with Thor. Please let us know what they find/did to correct this issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking forward to hearing of a good out come for you.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
This is the right front tire. After I turned the wheel to take a phot of it I decided to not drive it 25 miles to the tire center. They are coming shortly to change the tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2354773185.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	37553
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to drive it seems like it was a wise choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
$613 later I have a new right front tire (I didn't have to pay, just signed the WO). The tech agreed that I should not have driven the tire.

I am thrilled with how MHSRV in Alvarado is supporting this. The guy that told me yesterday that it was between me and Thor has had an epiphany and jumped right in. He asked for pictures that he could send to Thor to get the ball rolling and sent a PO to the tire dealer to make sure everything goes without a hitch. He followed up with a phone call to me late this afternoon to see what progress has been made.

I will take it to Cowser Tire in Ft. Worth tomorrow afternoon for the other tire and an alignment.

Won't know how Thor is going to handle it until Monday.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Finally got the coach into the tire shop.

Both front tires were toed-in over 1" for a total toe-in of over 2.5". 2 tires, mount balance and alignment was $1,377. I won't find out until Monday if Thor is going to cover it.

I also took pictures of the front and rear sway braces and sent them to the Thor warranty advisor that said my coach didn't need them so they weren't installed. May not have been the smartest thing to pee on their leg right now.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Finally got the coach into the tire shop.

Both front tires were toed-in over 1" for a total toe-in of over 2.5". 2 tires, mount balance and alignment was $1,377. I won't find out until Monday if Thor is going to cover it.

I also took pictures of the front and rear sway braces and sent them to the Thor warranty advisor that said my coach didn't need them so they weren't installed. May not have been the smartest thing to pee on their leg right now.
Wow! It makes me wonder if the front end was aligned at any time in the manufacturing process!

When they did the alignment, did they also have to make substantial caster and camber adjustments?
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Caster and camber was not bad. The Thor rep told me the alignment is done when the chassis is built and all Thor does is adjust toe-in. I have a feeling their tech feels he has done so many all he has to do is give x cranks on each side and not bother measuring anything. The toe-in on each side was almost the exact same.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I posted several years ago about what happens to coaches when being delivered from the factory to the dealer. Jumping curbs, etc.,. And a lot of it done in fun.

TXBart, you may be pointing fingers at the wrong people.

Kerry
Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
There is always that possibility but Thor says an exacting alignment is done by the chassis manufacturer then all they do is adjust toe-in after they add the coach. Toe-in on mine was the same, 1.24" on each side. Abuse likely would effect only one wheel, not both, especially not equally. An impact that caused that much out of adjustment would probably cause some damage, there was none.

I will concede that it could have been done by the delivery driver, however he would be a Thor (or Dealer) employee therefore their, or the dealer's, responsibility to remedy.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
I heard back from Thor. They approved reimbursement of the entire amount of the tire replacement and alignment. No fighting, no persuasion. Makes me feel very good about Thor!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #40

Quote:
I heard back from Thor. They approved reimbursement of the entire amount of the tire replacement and alignment. No fighting, no persuasion. Makes me feel very good about Thor!
Happy all worked out for you! Did you notice any difference in the way it handled after the fix?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
All I have drive. It is from the shop home and it was very windy. I did notice it accelerates a lot better. We're going to take a short trip next weekend so I will be able to tell then. Gas mileage should go way up also!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #42

More excuses absolving manufacturers and dealers from taking responsibility for their failures to follow duty of care principles.

A completed motorhome is so close to final running weight that adding a few belongings and fuel and water is not going to make that much difference to the front end alignment. They should have it corrected prior to delivery and not expect the customer to spend money correcting a fault that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Thor have done exactly the right thing, but the concern is that as seen in the responses in this topic, many buyers would just accept what they are dished up with and go and fix such problems at their own expense.