Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toilet, and or water leak

I've done some research, and haven't seen anyone having both the problems i'm having. We bought a used 97 Pace Arrow Motor home ( first RV or motorhome ). We took it on a decent trip to Texas, and noticed that there was a little bit of water around the back of the toilet after using it for a couple of days (clean water). I've came to the conclusion this is the water valve in the toilet. Next problem i have, we took this trip in March, it did get below freezing a couple of nights after we returned and didn't have any power. I did drain and open all the lines up (I know it's not as affective as blowing the lines out, or pumping antifreeze). We took a trip to Branson this last week, and I got to noticing a drip coming from under the RV, after evaluating, i can see that it's dripping down from the Toilet area. I'm to big of a man to climb into the basement and shimmy up to where the cut outs are to verify for sure where the constant drip is, but i can tell it's clean water. If this was the water valve that was causing the water around the toilet, wouldn't there be even more now that it's leaking more? I didn't notice the leak until about the 3rd day camping, but it is a constant drip. There's no more water around the toilet, than on our previous trip. Any help would be appreciated, as we have a huge family trip coming up in 3 weeks and i'd like to fix this myself before we leave.

I apologize if this subject has been brought up before. I did a search, and could find water leaks & toilet leaks, but not combined. Which, that may be exactly what i have, a toilet leak, and a totally seperate water leak. I have no idea!
oildriller83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
According to what toilet model you have, it could be the valve or the plumbing connections to the valve and/or sprayer. When mine was leaking, I filled the water tank and only turned pump on when we wanted water. If you're hooked up to city water, the pressure will just keep it dripping. I was also able to slide a small plastic container under the valve and catch the drips. When I got to an RV store I removed the leaking valve and matched it up with a replacement. (They don't sell rebuild kits -- at least for my model) I had it back installed in about a half hour.

I think the toilet valve is prone to freeze cracking if you don't blow it out or watch pink pump through it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
According to what toilet model you have, it could be the valve or the plumbing connections to the valve and/or sprayer. When mine was leaking, I filled the water tank and only turned pump on when we wanted water. If you're hooked up to city water, the pressure will just keep it dripping. I was also able to slide a small plastic container under the valve and catch the drips. When I got to an RV store I removed the leaking valve and matched it up with a replacement. (They don't sell rebuild kits -- at least for my model) I had it back installed in about a half hour.

I think the toilet valve is prone to freeze cracking if you don't blow it out or watch pink pump through it.
I definately should've pumped the pink stuff. I don't have a way to blow it out at this time. I did winterize it after our very first trip the week we bought it. Camped out at the lake next to our house for 3 days as a test run to see what all we would forget and need for the travel season. My question is tho, if it was the water valve in the toilet, wouldn't it be causing a huge mess in my bathroom floor or hallway before it starts running out under the toilet on the frame? There is a small puddly that forms when flushing it, but nothing a towel isn't keeping cleaned up. It just started the leaking under this trip. I wish i was about 10 years old where i could climb through the valley and actually see what's going on. Maybe when I remove the toilet i'll be able to see more? I'm just afraid there'll be something i'm missing ie having to seperate issues. Guess that comes with the chance. I have an Aqua Magic, but i don't know what model number it is. I'm sure it's the original that came with it. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Your toilet may have several places that can leak. For many of them, the water valve is down in the base, in the back, connected to the flush pedals. Others have it up higher near the back if it's got a handle to flush. There may also be a vacuum breaker that the sprayer connects to that can leak at one of its connections. And once in a while, the spray head's valve gets weak or crudded up so it dribbles, and often the water runs along the sprayer hose to land somewhere low in back of the toilet. Feel around all the various water connections that you can't see directly with a flashlight; watch everything you can while the water pressure is on and when you flush the toilet. Spot the water as it drips and try to follow back where it comes from.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #5

FWIW I have felt around places like that and it's hard to tell cold from damp. Use some TP or a paper towel to feel with and the water becomes apparent. I have also found condensation dampness. Dry it and give it a few minutes. Leaks will get wet faster. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our Thetford toilet in our 82 PA had the same problem. It was the Flush valve in the rear of the toilet. Got the new parts from a local Fleetwood dealer. It was around $35.00 and then the gasket was around $15.00 to remount the toilet. We pulled it off the floor and took it in the backyard and we washed it with bleach-white and Dawn. Reset it and have been leak free since. there are videos that you can watch that shows you how to do it. Pretty simple. Good Luck and let us know how you do.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Our Thetford toilet in our 82 PA had the same problem. It was the Flush valve in the rear of the toilet. Got the new parts from a local Fleetwood dealer. It was around $35.00 and then the gasket was around $15.00 to remount the toilet. We pulled it off the floor and took it in the backyard and we washed it with bleach-white and Dawn. Reset it and have been leak free since. there are videos that you can watch that shows you how to do it. Pretty simple. Good Luck and let us know how you do.
Tim
Spritz, was it also leaking under the Motor Home as well? I've seen the youtube videos and have been reading up on it. I priced to get it fixed at a few dealerships around us, and they're all charging 1 hour labor plus the part. For that price, i can almost buy a new toilet. I feel i'm mechanically inclined enough to fix this. I am an oilfield worker, and usually we always say "hit it with a hammer" if something's broke and needs fixed. I def won't do that here haha. I'm sitting out at the rig right now for another 7 days, so it'll be just a bit before i can do anything to it. I'm hoping it's just the water valve leaking causing water in both places. If i have another leak somewhere under the toilet, then i may just have to buckle down and pay the high prices. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
If you remove the toilet, you will have a better idea what's leaking. It also makes it easier to put a new valve on if that's the issue. The only cost is a little time and perhaps a new gasket between toilet and soil pipe. It does NOT use a wax seal like a home toilet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildriller83 View Post
Spritz, was it also leaking under the Motor Home as well? I've seen the youtube videos and have been reading up on it. I priced to get it fixed at a few dealerships around us, and they're all charging 1 hour labor plus the part. For that price, i can almost buy a new toilet. I feel i'm mechanically inclined enough to fix this. I am an oilfield worker, and usually we always say "hit it with a hammer" if something's broke and needs fixed. I def won't do that here haha. I'm sitting out at the rig right now for another 7 days, so it'll be just a bit before i can do anything to it. I'm hoping it's just the water valve leaking causing water in both places. If i have another leak somewhere under the toilet, then i may just have to buckle down and pay the high prices. Thanks for your help everyone!
No
We never let it get that bad. It would wet the carpet in the bathroom though and we would dry it with towels until we got home. And then we fixed it before we used it again.
I hope it hasn't rotted the wood under the toilet??
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #10

I had the same problem IN BRANSON I noticed water leaking around the toilet. Turned out to be the valve at the toilet, it had a tiny crack in it, allowing it to drip ever so slightly. I had taken all my pex fittings, crimpers, & rings with me, so I just cut and plugged the supply line to the toilet til we got home. Then I ordered a new valve. to get by in Branson, we just sat a pitcher of water by the toilet to flush with.

The main purpose of the Branson trip was, the "after winter shakedown" before heading to Oshkosh in July.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

The toilet doesn't create a waterproof seal at the floor like it does in a house. Also, there are portions of the plumbing mechanism that are inside the toilet as well if it is a plastic one. The water may well be seeping under the toilet and through the hole for the toilet flange. Pull the toilet and see what's going on under there.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm glad to see that fellow RV'rs are friendly. I'm stuck on the Rig till Tuesday afternoon, and I'll probably start on it then (depending on how much sleep I get Monday night). Once I get it taken it and assess the damage, I'll be sure to let everyone, in case if anyone else has the same problem.

Now, the only thing left is to figure out why my propane switch on my oven good shows full, but my gauge on the tank shows half.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildriller83 View Post
Now, the only thing left is to figure out why my propane switch on my oven good shows full, but my gauge on the tank shows half.
Hah, neither one is likely right but always go with the guage on the tank.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Hah, neither one is likely right but always go with the guage on the tank.
That's the one I'm trusting, cause when we bought it, it showed full and now almost half. The switch inside has never budged haha. I've checked both ends on the electric and don't see anything out of the ordinary, but I'm no electrician. I'll try unplugging, cleaning with lectraclean and putting 2-26 lube back on and plug in. I doubt this fixes it, but that's all this Roughneck can think to try.

Tags
leak, water, water leak