Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Unhappy Toilet Holding Tank Not Completely Draining

Although I've had my Windsport for several years, I'm now completely in charge of its maintenance. I did all the driving and my ex did the rest. I hate to be gross but I noticed that on my recent vacation trip that even though I have dumped the tanks (twice recently at a dumping station) that the liquid drains however when I look into the bottom of the toilet I can see turds. I've used several bottles of campa chem but it is not breaking down. I also thought the bottom of the tank would be deeper than what it appears to be. i've heard of the mountain of doom. I didn't think that could be the issue. Could something not be opening from the bottom of the toilet into the holding tank? Help!
Thanks..Valerie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Have you tried chemicals

Old 09-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2sbear View Post
Although I've had my Windsport for several years, I'm now completely in charge of its maintenance. I did all the driving and my ex did the rest. I hate to be gross but I noticed that on my recent vacation trip that even though I have dumped the tanks (twice recently at a dumping station) that the liquid drains however when I look into the bottom of the toilet I can see turds. I've used several bottles of campa chem but it is not breaking down. I also thought the bottom of the tank would be deeper than what it appears to be. i've heard of the mountain of doom. I didn't think that could be the issue. Could something not be opening from the bottom of the toilet into the holding tank? Help!
Thanks..Valerie
Valerie
As long as it is not the dreaded mountain of doom, (which BTW is nothing to dread), a little "something" left in a RV black tank after dumping hurts nothing...(black tanks are design and built to hold a lot of "something").
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
After draining and flushing the black tank, I always refill it 1/4 full of water. As you drive, it will slosh around. Then when I get to campground I flush again, and refill 1/4 to have plenty of liquids.

At end of camping, dump, flush, refill 1/4.

So my black tank ALWAYS has a minimum of 1/4 tank. I have zero problems with sensors.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

You easy answer is water and some detergent. The detergent helps break down grease and lets the water penetrate better. Run your tank a quarter to half full and let it soak for a few days or more to soften up what is there. Go to a campsite with full hook ups or a dump station that is not busy. Dump. Refill with water and dump again a time or two or three to get the mess out. If you want to play gross games get a clear adapter so you can watch the outflow. After you get it cleaned out keep some water in it during the camping season. Before you winterize do a good dump and maybe a flush and dump again.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

While using it, use water freely. Don't be stingy with it. That tank needs lots of liquid to dissolve things. Also, don't dump your tank until it's full. Then you'll get a strong 'swish' of water when you open the valve for dumping and it can remove a lot more stuff easier.

You are correct that most black tanks are shallow at the toilet end and deeper at the dump valve end. This is another reason to use lots of water so it flows to the deep end and doesn't just sit there.

For the first thing, I'd fill and dump the tank as normal and then leave the dump valve open and run a hose into the toilet full force to try to get movement to the remnants in there. After that and by using more water when flushing, I think you'll notice a difference.

We never used chemicals in our tank and didn't have a problem; but we always used lots of water.

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a clear adapter so you can monitor the flow of your black tank. I wouldn't empty the tank without one. After dumping the black tank and flushing the system with the gray water I add a couple of gallons of water and chemicals. Everything works well. On occasion we will use a tank cleaner and then empty the tank. Good luck to you.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
epj

Assume you are leaving your black tank dump valve closed until the tank needs to be dumped? I have a splitter on my water connection and have a hose run to the flush connection. When I dump the tank, I turn the flush on and let it run a couple of hours. The folks we are camped next to sometimes let theirs run all day. That's probably excessive, but they say it works. Close the gray water valve while you are dumping/flushing the black tank.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would try the Happy Camper Extreme cleaner! It's made for that problem!

https://www.5starhappycamper.com/order.html

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #10

All good ideas:
1. Degreesing sopey HOT water slouching around in your "black tank" as you drive
down the highway
2. Lots of water and several dumps
3. If you have stopage at the mouth of your toilet, GENTLY push the doodies down with a long stick - GENTLY!!!! DO NOT JAM IT DOWN!! It has ALWAYS moved down for us.
4. What we have used for the last "17 years" in our Winney is (if there is no
one behind you at the dump station) is to use the dump station water to
a. Fill through the toilet (black water tank)
b. Fill through the shower (grey water tank)
c. Lift the coach with our power jacks on the passengers side of the coach.
This forces the waste toward the exiting valve. It gives it more pressure
to force draining

We've had ZERO problems. And we use the cheap "For Home Use" toilet paper!!!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks..Valerie
My last coach i experienced the same thing. What i would do is raise the right side jacks a bit and that gave a good empting.

When i would get home and have more time to give it a through cleaning using a sewer cleanout plug in my driveway (lucky me) again raise the jacks and use one of the wand extensions with the spinning water on the end.

My main reason for this through cleanning was to keep the sensors working as intended
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks..Valerie
I have never had the need but I have read to fill it 1/2 up with water and put several bags of ice in the tank and drive around the ice will loosen anything stuck to the bottom or sides of the tank.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Always use more water when you flush!!!!!!!! With insufficient water to waste ratio, you'll have dried mess left behind. Use plenty of water, don't dump your tank until you really need to (more fluid, more forceful output).
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
2 X on the Happy Campers, Walmart & Amazon have it.

One other thing I do before storage is the fill the black tank 1/4 full, put in a cup or more of dish detergent, a cup of Downy Fabric Softener (both mixed with water before pouring into toilet), and then 2 bags of ice.

Driving for 4 or 5 hours with the ice sloshing around cleans it really well.

Also 2 X on everyone's comments on using lots of water when flushing.

Tags
tank, toilet