RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Toilet overflows

All of a sudden our Thetford Bravura (6 months old) wonít shut off when you flush it, Fellow at thetford says the toilet needs at least 40psi to work properly. Seems strange to me as we have used it for 6 months with no problem (on coach pump and on city water connections). Anyone have any suggestions?
DHT

Bonnie8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Bonnie.... your internal water pump should be producing 40-42 psi. Most CG and RV parks are in the 40-50psi range, although I have been to a few in the 30s.
Frankly, from your brief description it sounds to me like either your toiletís water valve has partially failed, or perhaps some part of the linkage from pedal to valve. Have you pulled the front panel to take a look? The problem may be obvious once you put eyes on it. Good Luck!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie8064 View Post
All of a sudden our Thetford Bravura (6 months old) wonít shut off when you flush it, Fellow at thetford says the toilet needs at least 40psi to work properly. Seems strange to me as we have used it for 6 months with no problem (on coach pump and on city water connections). Anyone have any suggestions?
DHT
I've had the same problem on occasion. It seems to be a pressure issue and I've had to turn off the supply valve at the floor near the toilet to stop it. It will work ok for a week or so and then happen again. Each time I have made sure the pressure is up and let the foot lever come up sharply. I'm going to take the thing apart and see if some waterproof grease on the valve will solve it.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer suggestions on that but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Hi Bonnie.... your internal water pump should be producing 40-42 psi. Most CG and RV parks are in the 40-50psi range, although I have been to a few in the 30s.
Frankly, from your brief description it sounds to me like either your toiletís water valve has partially failed, or perhaps some part of the linkage from pedal to valve. Have you pulled the front panel to take a look? The problem may be obvious once you put eyes on it. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. Will pull the front panel and check the linkage.
Bonnie8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

I had my toilet overflow caused by my water valve. Before the overflow I noticed standing water around the base of the toilet. Feeling around I felt water dripping from the water valve.

Also my ball valve never made a good seal allowing odors to creep into the coach.

My rig is a 2016. Thetford said that my toilet was to new to have such issues. They didn't offer parts but they did send a link to a video to rebuild the toilet.

So I pulled my toilet out and I replaced my ball valve seal, water valve, and the vacuum breaker. My toilet now works as it should have when it was new.

Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet