Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #71

Here is my take from a tech side use what ever you want but I recommend using the correct paper and chemical. That said the fact is not a single one of us want to go in and retrieve what you put in there. You will receive no mercy from me I won't work fast under any terms if it takes me 4 days to fix it you get the bill. There is no part of reach in there and get that for me that is going to happen fast I don't care who you are. My boss will back me up on it we billed a guy 12 hours to remove his wives products last year.

We have plenty of work so if you don't like the bill your welcome to take it somewhere else.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
I was told if you empty your black tank, close it off. Then add a 1/2 lid full of downy and pour a fair amount of water in your black tank right before you get ready to travel and it lubricates the tank so well that you can you use regular TP as it slides out during dumping.
Hope it helps. I am trying it tomorrow.
I have always been advised that you should keep the black tank closed except when emptying. But, your suggestion to use the Downy sounds great. Let us know how it works for you.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #73

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
I was told if you empty your black tank, close it off. Then add a 1/2 lid full of downy and pour a fair amount of water in your black tank right before you get ready to travel and it lubricates the tank so well that you can you use regular TP as it slides out during dumping.
Hope it helps. I am trying it tomorrow.
Just make sure you put enough water in before flushing. Use RV chemical and don't worry about the paper. We always use 2 ply(in case of the INDEX BREAK THROUGH)
Started RV camping with the kids 42 years ago and have yet to have a problem. All that exotic stuff they are trying to sell is all crap. But who am I to tell you how to spend your money!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #74

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
Your black tank is not intended to be a septic tank. It is only a holding tank. Use whatever toilet paper you wish and it will go away when you dump the tank. My wife likes a particular brand for use at home, and that's what we use in the coach.
I agree!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #75

Carolina Campers
Toilet Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Here is my take from a tech side use what ever you want but I recommend using the correct paper and chemical. That said the fact is not a single one of us want to go in and retrieve what you put in there. You will receive no mercy from me I won't work fast under any terms if it takes me 4 days to fix it you get the bill. There is no part of reach in there and get that for me that is going to happen fast I don't care who you are. My boss will back me up on it we billed a guy 12 hours to remove his wives products last year.

We have plenty of work so if you don't like the bill your welcome to take it somewhere else.

Spoken like a true service man who likes his job, even though it is cleaning out the crapper... No wonder he has a customer service approach that goes so well with the type of work he does.... And I am sure his boss will back him up... It is so hard to find good help these days... Heck, if he did not back him up, he may even have to do the job himself...

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Spoken like a true service man who likes his job, even though it is cleaning out the crapper... No wonder he has a customer service approach that goes so well with the type of work he does.... And I am sure his boss will back him up... It is so hard to find good help these days... Heck, if he did not back him up, he may even have to do the job himself...

Ted

I like my job and my customers but I don't like anyone enough to do that job cheap or as a favor because they choose to save money on toilet paper. I tell this to customers during walk thru as well I will spend hours of my own time helping people with problems which I have done here most of this weekend but I have limits. Failure to treat your black tank correctly is not my emergency. 20 years ago my son flushed his toys down the toilet the plumbers thought it was funny however they still made me pay the bill which was pretty big at the time.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #77

Carolina Campers
Toilet Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
I like my job and my customers but I don't like anyone enough to do that job cheap or as a favor because they choose to save money on toilet paper. I tell this to customers during walk thru as well I will spend hours of my own time helping people with problems which I have done here most of this weekend but I have limits. Failure to treat your black tank correctly is not my emergency. 20 years ago my son flushed his toys down the toilet the plumbers thought it was funny however they still made me pay the bill which was pretty big at the time.

Well that sounds like real crappy deal to me... I guess you learned something from them... BTW, I will take my business to someone else, as you suggested.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #78

This entire topic is about how to not follow the recommended instructions for your toilet and black tank. Something people seem to sit around campfires and discuss at length and yet seem to think when they plug up the system we should fix it cheap for them. Much like those who come in with their batteries bone dry and dead because they will not maintain them complaining about constantly buying junk.
By all means feel free to ignore the instructions that come with your coach because someone will always tell you it's OK I am sure there are people out there waiting for you to plug up your system so they can fix it right up for you I am not one of them. I would rather you maintain it correctly and never have a problem.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been living full time in my rig for three years straight, that said, I have used nothing but Quilted Northern the whole time. No plugs pyramids or problems.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
We use Kirkland TP in the S&B and in the MotorHome. The key is keeping lots of water in the black tank, and to empty it only when it's >3/4 full. We use HappyCamper and toss our [Dawn] dish water residue from the kitchen into the black tank, instead of letting it drain into the grey tank. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote