Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Use Scotts single Ply John Stott.

Ed
Yep, 2 years of fulltiming, nary a clog.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We did the same thing as newbies, my BIL told me it was a waste of money and effort to get the RV stuff. For the last several years we've been using the same tissue we use at home (Kirkland, Costco brand) with no I'll effects. Our rig even has a macerator pump, still no problems.

Dennis

DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Kirkland (Costco) TP and it works fine.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #18

Sam's Club Member's Mark for over 12 years without a problem
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
So, how many of you actually get to (or want to) look at what comes out of your black tank? Unless you do, you don't really know, do you?

Me, it's not a very pleasant horn to toot, but I DO know. (and maybe a few of you who dump into a portable tank know too ) We have a houseboat that I have to pump out by myself twice a month at least. I see exactly what the paper does...

I have to pump it uphill about 30" thru 1-1/4" flexible drain pipe. If the paper DIDN'T break down that wouldn't be possible. ALL toilet paper breaks down to virtually nothing, because that's what it's designed to do. Expensive "RV" paper is not necessary. All that IS necessary is plenty of water...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
This is a non-issue.... There have been posters on this question over the years who have actually tested all kinds of papers, and they ALL break down overnight.... I use Kirkland/Costco, most of the time, no problems in 21 years of RVing.
Problem is, sometimes you don't have a 24 hour window unless you are planning on locking the the facility the night before your departure. Not to mention that some people tend to use more paper than others. It can make a difference and nothing is more of an issue than having your tank blocking as you try to dump when you are on your way out of the campground with 20 other would be dumpers lined up behind you.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using Scotts brand for over 30 years in both our home septic and 20 years in ou RV's. Have never had a problem and it treats our bums just fine.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Problem is, sometimes you don't have a 24 hour window unless you are planning on locking the the facility the night before your departure.
I think the 24 hours was an exaggeration. In the glass jar test, I don't think any didn't break down; some were just slower to. I use Member's Mark and for some unknown reason, my S&B toilet doesn't always flush right. By the time the tank is filled, what's left in the bowl is already broken down.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Single ply? No way, I need to be treated better than that!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957, before RV's had toilets. In that time I've never had a black/grey tank backup or even a valve problem.
I use whatever TP is in the house, for many years it's been Kirkland brand. I also use TST toilet chemical which has coconut oil in it to lubricate the valves.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the 40+ years we have been rving we have used about every kind made. The only one we dont use is the ones designated for rv use.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #26

I use Sam's Club brand, as I buy it by the case for the house. RV paper is a waste.. its single ply and like sandpaper. I've used different brands over the years in the coaches I have had, the trick is to A) use a good chemical in your tank.... it MUST say that its a waste digester...B) use LOTS of water. I leave the tank "primed" with a couple gallons of water and a dose of Bio-something from CW. Before I pull away I add an extra treatment of chemical (in case the hot weather has deactivated it) and a couple bowls of water. At the end of the weekend, I dump the tank through a clear sewer hose and have NEVER seen chunks of paper or anything.... its liquified. So I just rinse the tank and recharge for the trip home.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #27

It's not the paper. It's what you put in the paper. But more than that...it's what you put in the black tank before you get to the paper. You are using the most direct septic system ever created. No fill lines, no concrete tanks. no gravel runs. Just a simple direct dump straight down where the paper you use means nothing. Nike said best...'Just do it'. If you don't the paper you use is the least of your problems.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There have been many "Tests' of Toilet papers, most centering on how fast they break down in the holding tank.

Fact: Given how long it would take me to finish my duty, Pull up trousers, wash hands and get around to ye-old dump valve,, I don't think it matters (That total time is approximating the time it took the slowest disloving tissues to dislove)

The slowest was one of the Charmin Quilted brands,, Also tied with it was Tetford RV sandpaper.. er, toilet paper.

The fastest Scotts Single Ply and Angle Soft.

The suggestion: Use what you use at home, don't worry about it.

Additional suggestions:

DO NOT hook up and open valves and leave them open, Let tank fill to a minimum of 1/2 to 2/3 full before dumping, IF it's time to go (Leave park) and tank is not 1/2 to 2/3 full ADD WATER to get there. (Unless dumping via macerator, in which case ignore this paragraph).

Rinse well after dumping.

USe a short clear plastic extension or elbow or back flush adapter so you can see what is happening (I know it sounds nasty, but it's not, really.. it also lets you see how wel lthe paper has broken up and if you use any kind of treatment how well it has "Digested" the stuff in the tank, I do not recommend pouring chemicals other than water (And perhaps some Dawn and Calgon followed by a final dump and "Pink stuff" at end of season). I use biologicals (Waste digesters) only when going a long time between dumps (over a week) which only happens once each spring and fall when I do my semi-annual migration from/to summer/winter quarters.