Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #29

I have two unusual experiences with toll booth that caused small problems.

Early one winter morning we arrived at the West Virginia Turnpike toll booth and I found my drivers side sliding window was frozen shut! My wife, dressed in her PJ's complete with bright PINK bunny slippers had to exit the passenger side and run around the front of coach with the money. Several truckers tooted their horns and gave her a thumbs up, and she reciprocated by giving them a curtsey!

Second was at a toll booth and I opened the sliding window too far. It slid so far forward I couldn't reach the window edge to pull to closed. I had to pull over onto the shoulder, unbuckle the belt and reach forward to grab the window edge.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yeah, boat....... that's what happens because they are really really stupid and never set up a toll booth before.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
I ask, because two years ago, my MH EZpass didn't register getting on the NY Thruway.

Not knowing this, I used the " High Speed " exit lane.

I received a violation bill with a picture of the rear plate of the toad. The amount of the charge was for the toad only.

Because I wasn't in the system, I was charged the whole, one way, distance of the Thruway.

I calculated the toll, for the distance I actually traveled, with both MH and toad, and it was more then the bill I received for the whole highway. I paid the violation.

So, I guess the NY toll people are really stupid.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
It's all in the software... When I picked up my ezPass for the MH, I asked about the toad and they gave me a bag to put the transponder for the toad in, otherwise I'd be charged for both. She said they can 'tell' if you're towing something, and charge accordingly. I've never checked my statement for trips with and without the toad to see if it does discriminate. I wonder just how sophisticated their software is.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #32

A few years ago we went on the Mass Pike in our new MH. As I approached the first toll booth coming from NY, I misread the sign and ended up in the car lane. The mirrors cleared by an inch of so! But I wasn't able to get my ticket from the machine as it was too low.
For future toll booth stops I kept all the way to the right where the lanes are wider.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #33

All but one toll booth has had plenty of room to pass through. While taking a beltline around the NW side of Houston, while approaching the booth to the right, it looked narrower than others. It was too late to change lanes and hoped for the best. Both mirrors cleared the posts by less than 3". The guy with me in the passenger seat thought for sure we were going to lose both mirrors. He looked at me and I just said with a cool smile "No problem, we still had a couple inches". It wasn't marked for autos only and I have never seen another like it.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
So I checked my ezPass statement and at least in Maine, they correctly accounted for towing the toad (the fee was greater). I was double charged for the toad the one time I forgot to put the toad transponder in the lined bag.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #35

A motor home is not a wide load.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
A motor home is not a wide load.
Does this sound right?

8'6" to 12' width is "Wide Load"
Over 12' wide is "Oversize"

The 13'6" wide loads we hauled through there did not have Easy Pass but we still used the far right side as I remember. But that was some time back and my memory of things seems to support my theories more and more as time goes on.

There may be some tunnel restrictions at 8' 6" wide. Maybe they make the toll booths the same as the tunnels so your mirrors get knocked off at the toll booth instead of at the tunnel. Restricts traffic less that way.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
So why don't motorhomes have power folding mirrors? Seems like an obvious solution and a money saver vs knocking one off. Anyone ever retrofitted them?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I'm all in for the "Wine Load Lane"
OK just having fun
Good catch! Now, if they handed you a glass of wine after you paid the toll, well that would be something.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #39
WDW

Toll Booth Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I ask, because two years ago, my MH EZpass didn't register getting on the NY Thruway.

Not knowing this, I used the " High Speed " exit lane.

I received a violation bill with a picture of the rear plate of the toad. The amount of the charge was for the toad only.

Because I wasn't in the system, I was charged the whole, one way, distance of the Thruway.

I calculated the toll, for the distance I actually traveled, with both MH and toad, and it was more then the bill I received for the whole highway. I paid the violation.

So, I guess the NY toll people are really stupid.

In regards to the last line - YES.

If you wan RUDE lack of customer "service" just call. We were sent a violation notice for a plate with the same number in a different category (NYC Taxi) as our van. Totally different vehicle type and color. Getting them to "help" correct and understand their mistake was a bi$xcz!!!! Our van has never been to the city --- DC is closer than NYC to where we live in WESTERN NY.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
I travel the PA turnpike every few years. Every few years I smack one of the mirrors. Fortunately I am going very slow.

The easy way and cheapest is use an easy pass.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I travel the PA turnpike every few years. Every few years I smack one of the mirrors. Fortunately I am going very slow.

The easy way and cheapest is use an easy pass.

For the PATP, the easiest and cheapest way is to bypass the TP altogether.
A fee of $120 or more pays for a lot of fuel vs a 35 minute time loss via I-80.
And using US30 vs the OH and IN TPs is another better route.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
As mentioned previously you will fit through the truck lanes. They are always to the far right unless there's some kind of construction going on at the booth area. To that point be aware of any obstacles if there is construction. A couple years ago we were at toll booth in Illinois that was being repaired. The construction company had installed some braces that actually made the lane too narrow for the mirrors to clear. We ended up with a scratch on the top of the right side mirror from a low hanging brace.