Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
The only place in Massachusetts that I remember that does not have a wide load lane on the right was very close to Boston, but that was a few years back. It will be nice to have the boothless system here soon. The highspeed lanes in NH on I-95 have been a Godsend for traffic.

Now if we can only get Maine to modernize.

And, BTW, you can see live shots from the traffic cams to check things out.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/high...mationMap.aspx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Good catch! Now, if they handed you a glass of wine after you paid the toll, well that would be something.

Ha!
I'm a little slow. Just got it.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
When pulling into any Toll Booth......and while pulling forward.......and you see pile's of "Chrome Lug Nut Cover's" laying on both sides, going into the "Narrows".......take extra caution
Old 09-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Your coach is max 8.5 feet wide not counting mirrors. The width does not change although at times it seems to.

Drive looking down the road several hundred feet. Aim so you are sitting right above the inside wheel path. It will seem like you are too far left - but you are not.

Approaching a toll booth go slow. Keep the drivers mirror close to any obstacle like the booth, posts etc. Check that you are sitting above the wheel path. If the drivers mirror is close there is lots of room on the other side.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
Now if we can only get Maine to modernize.
Maine is working on it. They have one high-speed EZPass open in Gray and another one about ready to open in Litchfield.

My contacts at the Maine Turnpike Authority (and recent newspaper articles) tell me that the replacement system for the big one at York is being designed. I don't know when construction of that one will start. That's where the biggest bottleneck is.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Made It

DW and I picked up the coach today. After a few hours of driving I'm ready to conclude that while I still have plenty to learn and plenty of experience to gain, driving ti is not nearly as difficult as I feared.

And the tolls were totally anticlimactic.

Thanks for all the reassurances and encouragement!
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
DW and I picked up the coach today. After a few hours of driving I'm ready to conclude that while I still have plenty to learn and plenty of experience to gain, driving ti is not nearly as difficult as I feared.

And the tolls were totally anticlimactic.

Thanks for all the reassurances and encouragement!

Life is good!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #50
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Going through toll booths activates the "pucker factor" for me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Going through toll booths activates the "pucker factor" for me!
You? Just think of that poor guy/gal standing in that small fiberglass box with no escape watching old people like me with wide fear filled eyes not knowing the drivers skills trying to aim a great big humongous gigantic motorhome right toward them wondering all the time "are they going to hit or not?!

Couldn't find a RV vs toll booth picture, but this one gives you a glimpse of what happens every day in the life of our toll collectors.
Attached Images

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #52

I broke my drivers side mirror in the ez pass lane.

I also hit a toll attendent once in the back with a mirror, he was outside the booth BSing with the guy in the booth.

both were in pa on the I76 tunpike
Old 09-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #53

Do make sure you electric steps are retracted. I had a show come to my theater once that was using a RV for the tour. They showed up and asked if I could fix their steps if I had a chance. They bent the crap out of the steps from hitting the concrete island at the toll booth. I don't even know how they made it from CT to NJ before hitting the toll booth off the turnpike where I am unless they had just stopped at the rest area a few miles before. There was no easy way to repair them to say the least. I disconnected them and handed them a milk crate till they could find a repair center.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #54

Go where the truckers go

Go where the truckers go. You'll get charged by the # of axles, just like the truckers do. I've also used the auto lanes and never had any clearance problems.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Toll booths are not the only problem. Try driving through some of the US/Canada border crossings. 2 or 3 inches clearance on each of the side mirrors! You aren't allowed to use the truck lanes.
As a Canadian who often goes in the US, I cannot agree more! Even huge border crossing like Blackpool (10 lanes between QC/NY) and you have 2 or 3 inches on each side. Some border crossing like Thousand Islands have some lanes that are less than 13' height so they added "No RV!" sign because people hit the booth...
Old 09-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #56

The others have already provided good advice, but mine is a simple don't panic. Far worse than the tolls you'll encounter are the narrow work zone lanes. Is ready to slow to a comfortable speed for a toll. Work zones can be hair raising at posted speeds.

The key is still don't panic. Just focus on driving.