Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #57

We spent June and July traveling the Northeast towing our 38' 5th wheel. Spent some time in Utica also (born there). No problems with the booths anywhere. The folding mirrors on our F250 did get a lot of use though.
The NY Thruway was a bargain! Our EzPass was only charged the base rate for our truck. Apparently they either don't have cameras or sensors counting axels or don't care. Fine with me!
However; MD, NJ, PA, NH, ME, and MA all added the appropriate charges for the trailer.

One more sorta related item for all my snowbird friends.
We bought our EzPass transponder here in North Carolina. It's the ONLY one that is accepted in the EzPass states AND Florida for SunPass tolls.
Also accepted in Georgia (Peach Pass).
https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
All excellent information in the last four pages but I'll address something that I have not seen addressed. IIRC for every 5 feet of overhang behind the rear axle, the tale of your MH will swing out one foot on a turn to the right or left.
So if you have 15 feet from your rear axle to the end of your MH, when making a turn your rear will swing 3 foot outside the radius of the curve of your tire track. After paying your toll continue straight until the rear of your MH has cleared the cement walls at the end of the lane.

Also something to remember when leaving a fuel island after filling up.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8824rv View Post
We spent June and July traveling the Northeast towing our 38' 5th wheel. Spent some time in Utica also (born there). No problems with the booths anywhere. The folding mirrors on our F250 did get a lot of use though.
The NY Thruway was a bargain! Our EzPass was only charged the base rate for our truck. Apparently they either don't have cameras or sensors counting axels or don't care. Fine with me!
However; MD, NJ, PA, NH, ME, and MA all added the appropriate charges for the trailer.

One more sorta related item for all my snowbird friends.
We bought our EzPass transponder here in North Carolina. It's the ONLY one that is accepted in the EzPass states AND Florida for SunPass tolls.
Also accepted in Georgia (Peach Pass).
https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
NY Thruway measures the vehicle height, as the front wheels pass the axle counter. More than 7'8" and its a truck.

Motorhomes get the truck rate. Pickups and cars towing trailers don't.

Motorhome owners can get the car rate if they produce a RV registration.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NYS treats RV's as cars as far as tolls go if your EZ-Pass is registered as an RV, promotes tourism I guess.

Just go through the toll booth slowly. Besides, you will get a warning letter and then a fine if you go fast through it. Just ask my wife...
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
It won't be as hard as you think. Once you have a few miles behind the wheel you will get comfortable. Watch the 18 wheelers in front of you and you will see how much clearance they have before you enter the booth. A couple of times through and you won't even think about it!
NO, do not ever relax to where you don't think about it. That is where the "don't let this happen to you" web sites get their photos from.

But it's right that you will become comfortable with driving the RV. And watching the OTR drivers and other RVs will help you figure out where you will fit.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of items here. One is that by the end of 2016 all Toll lanes in the US are to be inter connected as far as usage. Tolling Group Pushes Toward Nationwide Interoperability: Associations Now So an EZ Pass will be good in FL and TX or any other state and vice versa. That's not happening. I was just in TX and hell they just got their stuff together with in the state. There were toll roads in Houston that didn't use the same collection system as Dallas. But TX is a special case. [moderator edit] So they move at their own pace.
But that's another story. Anyway I drove my car in Texas for four weeks on the toll roads last month and still haven't received one toll bill.

Number two when I got my EZ Pass I lived in NC and both the car and motorhome were registered in NC. They are now registered in FL but I have kept my NC EZ Pass just changed the info at NC EZ Pass. My motor home has a Tag Axle and EZ Pass has a 3+ Axle rate which includes the toad. So the trick is to take the EZ Pass out of the toad and put it into it's special plastic package in the glove box so it can't be read. Also the EZ Tag folks in NC suggested that you take the plate off of the toad or cover it up. There is no need for a plate on a toad that is in tow behind a motor home. I have done that and sometime I have not. I have never been stopped for not having a plate on the toad.

As far as the booths go some are way more narrow than others but I have never been denied the wide load lane. Just go through it like you know what you are doing. Go slow stay close on the drivers side and you will be OK.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
Just returned in our 40' diesel pusher from Ottawa Canada to VermontBeware of US Customs entry booth with a big rig. I had to scrub my right front tire to get through without damage
Always use the lanes for buses or trucks
I complained to a US Customs agent at the time and that is what they recommended for the future
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksclu View Post
Just returned in our 40' diesel pusher from Ottawa Canada to VermontBeware of US Customs entry booth with a big rig. I had to scrub my right front tire to get through without damage
Always use the lanes for buses or trucks
I complained to a US Customs agent at the time and that is what they recommended for the future
Wow, I went 50+ times in the US with my motorhome, and believe me, never ever I would take a lane reserved for trucks or buses. As a Canadian I'm sure CBP would be furious and deny me entry.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #65

American Coach Owners Club
As others have said take it slow. I hit my passenger mirror going through the toll on the Ohio Turnpike a couple of years ago It scratched the plastic, but fortunately no other damage. If you use e-zpass, you may want to think about it for the motorhome as well. I had to get a "truck" one because the car one would not work with the coach

Andrew
45' American Dream
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Yes, You are going to fit. Approach slowly. DO NOT USE THE CARS ONLY LANE.

Remember... If a trailer truck fits, you will. No matter what size motorhome you have.

Good Luck
Yes you will fit. I have a 40ft Phaeton and I have been all over the east coast these past three months. Follow the semi trucks. Go slow!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #67

I try to avoid toll booths, but being Canadian I can't avoid going through the border booths. Last April I was coming back into Canada at the Sarnia ON border and they had me going into a car lane. Well I got close enough to the booth that the agent didn't have to get out to get our passports, but my right mirror hit a beam and was left hanging. I had to drive 400 miles back home without a right mirror and a camera going on and off.
The mirror arm was still ok but the only fix was to get a new mirror assembly from the manufacturer at an all in cost of about $900.
I'm crossing the border again at the end of October but I'll do everything I can to avoid the car lane.
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
We were on a trip with our motorcycle pulling a pop up trailer. Charged for 3 axles. Out total weight is less than a mid size car.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #69

EZ Pass and Mirror Positioning

If you have EZ Pass, you only keep the pass in the RV exposed. The pass from the automobile should be stored in a foil bag. Otherwise you will be overcharged. We just drove through NY and MA and are originally from that area.

Check the position of your mirrors. If they aren't both in front of the plane of the windshield, consider moving them there. This will afford more clearance.....coming from a motorhome driver that has cracks from faulty positioning in his passenger side mirror.

The cracks are from Michigan, but the original mirror positioning did not help any.....they are from my first night driving our Dutch Star. 45,000 miles later I still drive slowly through the tolls. No need to rush, you don't get anywhere quickly in a motorhome!

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #70

Bumped Concrete

Heading south out of Wisconsin to Rockford Illinois in August brushed concrete on right side if toll booth. Very narrow, a real bummer.