Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #71

If you are bumping mirrors or scrubbing tires, you are not going slow enough!
Lose the fear and tension. There may not be plenty of room, but there is enough.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #72
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought my RV new in the suburban Chicago area. Within the first 10 miles of driving it I learned a very valuable lesson about toll booths and RV mirrors. I scared both myself and the toll taker into an early grave by smacking a plastic wind block on the side of the booth with the driver's side rear view mirror.

RV mirrors are sticking out a lot further than those on cars! Be careful! No damage -- other than our undies.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
After we got our 2002 Windsor we went on a trip to Florida. I was driving from Miami to Naples on I75 and was routed through some toll booths. I concentrated on the drivers side mirror getting as close as I thought I could. Paid the toll and started to pull out and someone jumped out in front of me pointing at my passenger side mirror. I had knocked it off and didn't even know it. Cost ~$150 to repair.
I also hit and broke my passenger side mirror on my maiden voyage in my motorhome. I think it was in Pennsylvania. I had to hang out the window of the drivers side to get low enough to put the dollar bills in the slot. Since I wasnt in the outside lane, I couldnt open the door to get out. Hit my mirror on the way out, also didnt know until I needed to use it and couldnt see out. It was the first time I ever saw toll booths with no actual people in them.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #74

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by uechiyondan View Post
As others have said take it slow. I hit my passenger mirror going through the toll on the Ohio Turnpike a couple of years ago It scratched the plastic, but fortunately no other damage. If you use e-zpass, you may want to think about it for the motorhome as well. I had to get a "truck" one because the car one would not work with the coach

Andrew
45' American Dream
I was told buy an ezpass rep that when using the MH just put the pass in the windshield of the MH. All my vehicles are listed for use on their web site. So far no problems and no extra fees.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #75

Toll booth fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
Traveled from central NY to Maine on the Mass pike with a 35 foot Tiffin Allegro and made it through all the booths.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #76

Worst road in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Often there will be a wide load lane, typically to the far right. I always head for that lane when available. The tightest toll booths I have experienced are on the Indiana Turnpike.
Mike
After driving over 9000 miles in 35 states and 3 provinces, I will testify that Indiana has the crappiest, and one of the most expensive, roads in America, that being I-90. NY and MA were also very bad. CT had the best, and surprisingly CA was also up at the top with I-40 from Needles to Barstow.
jsl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I'm all in for the "Wine Load Lane"
OK just having fun
X1! Saw that typo, as well and thought it's a heck of a good idea. 😎👍
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #78

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a biYYg deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
Yes you will fit but stay close on the drivers side because there will not be a lot of room. Obviously pay close attention and do not lose focus on the mirrors.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #79

Toll booths

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

Yes, you will definitely fit! You see many semi's going through, if they fit you will certainly fit... Just drive slowly and carefully!! Enjoy your trip...
Old 09-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #80

Tool Booth Width

Quote:

The tool lanes are narrow. Stick to the far RIGHT lane for the most clearance. You may find your self in a lane with only two inches clearance on each side otherwise.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #81

Some one mentioned EzPass - I might suggest the Illinois product I-Pass. Toll discounts. No monthly or annual fee. You can add an number of rigs, autos, etc - your rig and towd as one. Fills w/ your credit card. I've been using it for years. Just move sensor to rig and roll! An get this - when you are finished turn in sensor and get the $20 deposit back. Web address: https://www.illinoistollway.com/ Oh - my theory - the slower you go - the 'thinner' your rig gets Till later. Ed
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #82
Dfb

Why do people put up with tolls? All other states operate without these RIP OFF STATIONS! Get rid of them!!.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #83

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
From recent experience, you will fit.

Really bums me to hear that the booths will be gone in a couple of months, especially I spent a small fortune on fees last month. They get you for number of axles and for being over height limit. What a rip
Just because the booths will be gone doesn't mean the tolls will disappear! Many roads have gone to electronic tolling and if you don't have the transponder they take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfb View Post
Why do people put up with tolls? All other states operate without these RIP OFF STATIONS! Get rid of them!!.
Dfb, I can tell you are not from the Northeast. In that part of the country, it is nearly impossible to travel any distance without paying tolls.