Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Dfb, I can tell you are not from the Northeast. In that part of the country, it is nearly impossible to travel any distance without paying tolls.
And it's pretty expensive, going on the I-75 from ME to VA will cost you something like $75, more if you have a truck and 5w with 3 axles for instance. This is why I take I-81 now to go south, it's free.

But cruising around new england, yup, tolls... but I never hit anything, and I do not have an ez-pass, I always take a cash-lane and if there is a wide-load on the right I try to take it, else I take a car lane and am careful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
We are all used to driving a car or pickup where we sit behind the steer axle. We sit in front of the steer axle on a Class A so our perspective is changed without a hood in front to help guide us. As a result many tend to position their coach farther to the right.

An "aid' to positioning the coach in the middle of the lane is to look farther down the road and drive so you feel you are sitting above the inner wheel path. You will be driving in the center of the lane.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
Often there will be a wide load lane, typically to the far right. I always head for that lane when available. The tightest toll booths I have experienced are on the Indiana Turnpike.
Mike
Yes I second that! From personal experience. Take it slowly and you'll be fine

Cheers,

Dave
Old 09-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?

Just FYI
Federal DOT width limit is 8 ft 6 inches for all vehicles without special over width permits. Toll booth lanes on State and Federal highways are a minimum of 11 ft to a maximum of 12 ft. Highway driving lanes are to be a minimum of 12 ft for Federal roads and may be as narrow as 9 ft on local roads.

It is always a good idea to check state DOT websites before heading into a new area.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #89

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Let me preface this by saying I know I'm probably making a big deal out of (almost) nothing, but...

This weekend DW and I are heading from Boston to Utica NY to pick up our new-to-us motorhome and drive it home. Driving it home entails driving the entire length of the Mass Pike, which means passing through several toll booths (which ironically will all be gone in a few months).

I've never driven anything this big, and specifically anything 8 1/2 feet wide. And those toll booth lanes look awfully tight. Am I really going to fit?
Should be no problem. In 2002-2004 I delivered 45 foot X 8-1/2 foot Diesel pushers all over the U.S. plus I have a 38 foot X 8-1/2 foot Diesel Pusher since 1999 that I've driven from Oregon to Nova Scotia via eastbound northern route return via southern route plus 80,000 miles with no problem. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #90

Get an ez pass and use the truck lanes far right. We just came from the Canadian Falls this summer to Springfield, MA. Had no problems and didn't get the shock of the high toll fees!! You don't have to dig for cash and it is faster in the ez-pass lanes.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #91

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
There will frequently be a wine load lane, often on the far right. Until you are comfortable with the width of the MH, you could use that.
I always head for the wine load lane, but they never have any wine!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
From recent experience, you will fit.

Really bums me to hear that the booths will be gone in a couple of months, especially I spent a small fortune on fees last month. They get you for number of axles and for being over height limit. What a rip
Really burns me that they had toll booths to begin with. Most toll roads , including the NYS Thruway were only supposed to have tolls for a short time. (They said the same thing about the Newburgh Beacon Bridge) Once the road was paid for, it was advertised, the tolls would go away. Yeah sure! Just like only the rich will pay income tax. If you give a politician an inch, he thinks he is a ruler. We are not supposed to have rulers. Only representation! I am happy to hear the tolls on the Mass pike are going away. Now what about NYC. You can get in, but you have to pay tolls to get out. Reminds me of Charlie on the MTA!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
A couple of items here. One is that by the end of 2016 all Toll lanes in the US are to be inter connected as far as usage. Tolling Group Pushes Toward Nationwide Interoperability: Associations Now So an EZ Pass will be good in FL and TX or any other state and vice versa. That's not happening. I was just in TX and hell they just got their stuff together with in the state. There were toll roads in Houston that didn't use the same collection system as Dallas. But TX is a special case. [moderator edit] So they move at their own pace.
But that's another story. Anyway I drove my car in Texas for four weeks on the toll roads last month and still haven't received one toll bill.

Number two when I got my EZ Pass I lived in NC and both the car and motorhome were registered in NC. They are now registered in FL but I have kept my NC EZ Pass just changed the info at NC EZ Pass. My motor home has a Tag Axle and EZ Pass has a 3+ Axle rate which includes the toad. So the trick is to take the EZ Pass out of the toad and put it into it's special plastic package in the glove box so it can't be read. Also the EZ Tag folks in NC suggested that you take the plate off of the toad or cover it up. There is no need for a plate on a toad that is in tow behind a motor home. I have done that and sometime I have not. I have never been stopped for not having a plate on the toad.

As far as the booths go some are way more narrow than others but I have never been denied the wide load lane. Just go through it like you know what you are doing. Go slow stay close on the drivers side and you will be OK.
This is great news for me. The lack of compatibility of EZ Tags across the country has been a major cause for indigestion for me for years. It also shows how much my letters to my senators and congressman are read in their respective offices. I have thought for years that there is no reasonable excuse for my Texas EZ Tag to be incompatible with the rest of country and vice versa. NONE of them has ever responded to me telling me that legislation was in the works. I can only hope the transition eventually comes to fruition. In the mean time, I guess we have to keep calling one state after another prior to a trip to see which states will let me use their EZ Tag lanes.

Chief
Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #94

I got an automatic mirror adjustment at a booth early this summer at a booth that was actually posted 8.5 ft. At the booth with a clearance warning also at the booth, no way to get in another lane. Got by with a small scratch but needed to pull over real quick to adjust mirror as lost all use of it. Truck lane for me from now on.