Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #1

Tom Johnson in Marion, NC

Does anyone have an experience with these folks they would like to share. I'll be in the area this weekend shopping for a used DP.

bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to some previous threads which may assist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tom+...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

I've had some experience with them. Never any service type work just counter sales. Everything that I've bought from the parts department went smoothly. Staff was nice and helpful. I live only about 25 mins from there.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just left there, after dropping $1100 in the service department. The rig is two weeks shy of it's third birthday and was due for a number of things beyond the regular "lube, oil and filter". They also did a retro fit on our Aqua Hot, likely one of the first such procedures done, if not the first (in 2010 Aqua Hot used a different brand of burner [Beckett] than usual. It's my understanding they stopped in less than one model year due to an extremely high failure rate). It seems to be working very well now. Aqua Hot did the engineering for the retro fit and paid to have Tom Johnson's do the work.

They're one of the few dealers that I'm familiar with that I'd actually recommend for most any service you might need.

Nice people.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my used Class A from them about a year and a half ago. Nice people plus they have a campground right there so you can stay a few days to check your coach out and make sure everything is working to your satisfaction. Our salesman was Marty and he was great! He's very knowledgeable about there coaches and he will bend over backwards to make sure everything is the way he tells you it will be. Also most days you will find Tom Johnson his self on the lot! Unusual in the day and time!! Good luck to you.

2003 National Seabreeze, F53, M1341
SteveL1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traded with them this past April and it was a good experience. No dealer is perfect but we were pleased with the experience overall. They have a fairly good inventory, including a number of high-end rigs. They did everything promised to the coach we bought before the PDI and other things that popped up after delivery.

We bought an extended warranty from them (Cornerstone) and it has just about paid for itself. Another dealer who recently had to replace our inverter said Cornerstone was the best warranty company he had ever dealt with.

They have a nice, fully-equipped service center but I do know they are pretty far out on service appointments due to work volume. I understand they are planning a major expansion of their service building in Concord.

Recently, while at Myrtle Beach for about 10 days, I spoke to several RV owners who had recently bought coaches from them. They all said they were pleased with TJ's.

We got our coach at their Concord location.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

We had a breakdown on the Blue Ridge Parkway and were towed there. It was due to the much maligned Workhorse brake recall. They have a campground on site and we felt the service was excellent. It was Workhorse paid and they did a wonderful job. Afterwards Workhorse tried to screw them out of some of the money and I worked with them to get it. I can recommend them.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

I would highly recommend TJ not only for their nice sale's staff and also their complete modern service dept.. I know this from experience by buying three RVs and having them do service on my camper and on my motor home in and out of warranty. If you want to be treated special and fairly you need to give them a chance to earn your business. PS IF you want to meet a christan, knowledgeable and all round nice good olé boy you need to ask one of their top salesperson call Greg Helms.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I'm actually in their campground right now and will be visiting them later this morning. I spoke to a fellow tonight that just purchased from them yesterday. Her had nothing but good things to say about TJ. I'm looking forward to looking and learning. My goal is to purchase in 2014, maybe spring. Just want to make sure I know what I really need and how bad I want my wants.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
...My goal is to purchase in 2014, maybe spring.
You might get a better deal now? Things tend to pick up in the spring.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Does anyone have an experience with these folks they would like to share. I'll be in the area this weekend shopping for a used DP.
Very Nice people, but rather pushy at times. They DO NOT Clean any thing on the used lot till some one buys it. So, be sure to check the units Very Very close for water leaks. And just another note, Don't leep on the first unit you see, it pays to look around and see whats out there. MOHO is that Nov, Dec. are the best months to buy a Good Used unit! Now, if you're thinking about staying at one of their camp grounds, they are very very clean and level sites but very basic full hook ups sites!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
03 Chy T&C Toad Hickory, NC
Dmorgan6375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doug brings up a good point about their (confusing to me) practice of not really cleaning up used rigs until they either have it sold or have a 'deal pending.' We had expressed a good deal of interest in a Newmar MA before we actually arrived at TJ's so they had it cleaned up and ready to show when we got there. We didn't buy that coach and started looking at others on their lot. I was surprised that even some of their high-end DP's had not been prepped or cleaned at all and certainly did not show well. Even a used car dealer cleans up a car before putting it on the lot for sale.

The coach we did buy was all spiffed up only because they had loaned it to some NHRA officials to use as an office during a NHRA event coming up. Once we agreed on a deal and gave them a deposit, they retrieved it from the track and detailed it again, put on new tires, made some minor fixes, etc.

I guess they don't want to spend the time and money detailing coaches before they think they have a potential buyer or a deal made. Personally, I think that is pretty foolish and certainly would not do it that way if it was my business. That said, they seem to do pretty well so I guess it works for them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

they are one of the good guys
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=smlranger;1772399]Doug brings up a good point about their (confusing to me) practice of not really cleaning up used rigs until they either have it sold or have a 'deal pending.' We had expressed a good deal of interest in a Newmar MA before we actually arrived at TJ's so they had it cleaned up and ready to show when we got there. We didn't buy that coach and started looking at others on their lot. I was surprised that even some of their high-end DP's had not been prepped or cleaned at all and certainly did not show well. Even a used car dealer cleans up a car before putting it on the lot for sale.

I agree, why do most dealers use this practice? When shopping for our first coach the lack of care given these used rigs amazed DW and I. We would have most likely purchased a 2005 Excursion at CW at Myrtle Beach but it was just plain filthy. Thank goodness we did not buy from CW! However, that's another post. Upon reading this thread it appears TJ is a very reputable dealership with great service? Rare these days, a good dealer with service is as important as the product your purchasing IMO!

TST TPMS
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote