Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tongue weight

Hope I'm posting in the right section for this question.

We have a class A motorhome, Beaver brand with a stock towing hitch on it for towing a trailer, vehicle etc.

My purpose now is to attach a motor bike carrier into the receiver for a Zuma 125 scooter that weighs 280#'s.
Eventually would like to carry 2 scooters, the place where I bought the carrier said most hitches have a tongue weight at 500 pounds.

If I move up to a 2 carrier system one day The weight could be border line, something I'd rather not do. So curious to see what others do or have done as far as scooter carriers.
I'm just trying to avoid towing for the time being, towing will be my agenda when we begin the long hauls later on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

The 500# dead weight limit is pretty common on gas coaches and some entry level diesels, but I would think your Beaver would have a higher rating. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a 10,000# hitch with a 800-1000# dead weight rating. My 1/2 ton Avalanche has a 600# tongue weight rating. Check on the Beaver forum to be sure.

Edit: I just looked up a used 2005 Beaver Monterey and it has a 10,000# hitch which would have a 1000# tongue weight rating.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you Crasher, that would give me peace of mind since I may eventually have 500 to 600 hundred pounds on the receiver.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind that the rating is dead weight. Putting 500 lbs on an arm 2' out from the reciever exerts 1000 lbs of pressure.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight