Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Too few miles a bad thing?

shopping for my first mh & found a 2005 model with a cummuns red top with only 15000 miles. my son says too little use is more harmful to the engine than a high mileage count. the present owner says he periodically(?) cranks it during extended periods of non use but is this sufficient to keep the gremlins away? are there specific items that i should check for proper functioning due to the limited mileage?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Turning a diesel on without bringing it up to full operating temperature can be more damaging than having just left it alone. This is what both Cummins and CAT say. I would be more concerned about what service the engine has received. Some MH owners have the attitude that since they hardly ever drive it they don't need to change oil, fuel filters, etc. Check to see if the oil has been changed annually and whether anything else has been done. Even if the transmission fluid is Transynd it should be analyzed and the filters should be replaced. At 8 years the tires will need to be replaced, regardless of mileage. The coolant probably should be replaced regardless of whether it is conventional glycol or extended life coolant.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
are there specific items that i should check for proper functioning due to the limited mileage?
Sometimes an older, low mileage coach indicates that it was lived in a lot, without moving it. Check the appliances and general interior of the coach for wear-and-tear just to be sure that is not the case.

As for the engine and chassis, you won't ever know for sure but a detailed, pre-sale inspection by an experienced RV mechanic is the right place to start.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

Get an oil analysis, and look for leaking seals. IMHO too much is made out of the harm done to diesels sitting. I have some 30 year old diesel Ranch equipment that only gets used a couple of weeks each year. Keep the fuel filters changed and additive in the fuel.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi d.alcannon,
Have the automotive components check out by a certified shop. This will cost you some $s but it will allow you to sleep at night. You will need to replace all the automotive fluids, filters and belts.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

thanx for the info. feel a bit more comfortable. the owner says he will make all service records available to me; last periodic service was performed in apr of last year. i agree that a professioal pdi will be a good investment.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Get an oil analysis, and look for leaking seals. IMHO too much is made out of the harm done to diesels sitting. I have some 30 year old diesel Ranch equipment that only gets used a couple of weeks each year. Keep the fuel filters changed and additive in the fuel.
TOTALLY agree with that!!! I've seen farm equipment sit for months and months between very infrequent starts that lasted for decades. Granted, they weren't the Cummins/Cats that we have in these coaches, but still....