Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #1

Has anyone had a problem being stoped by police for being over length? I am 73 feet long tip to tip. I tow a 32 foot inclosed trailer (that includes the tongue)that houses my Goldwing trike & car.

05 Pontiac Sunfire
Rjcarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #2

Has anyone had a problem being stoped by police for being over length? I am 73 feet long tip to tip. I tow a 32 foot inclosed trailer (that includes the tongue)that houses my Goldwing trike & car.

05 Pontiac Sunfire
Rjcarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #3

I've never heard of anybody being stopped however I would think the liability for being over length in the case of an accident may be worth looking into.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #4

Although this is a boating related site, it may be of some help to you as it outlines the overall legal length for a trailer and combined tow vehicle and trailer. Looks like you would be illegal in most states.

http://www.americanboating.org/towing.asp

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some states - and some highways - enforce more strictly than others. Ohio, for example, looks at things pretty closely on their turnpike system - even have scales at the on rams.

But I think it's mostly a matter of getting into a situation that brings attention to your rig - an accident or maybe just a traffic tie up casue you need a real wide swing to make a sharp corner. That might cause a cop to take a closer look.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #6

In California the maximum length for MH and towed vehicle/trailer is 65 feet.
Larry Calfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Larry, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Thank you for posting of the legal lengths in CA. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. Take care and be safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #8

Texas has a maximum lenght of 65' for combination of vehicles, and 45' for single vehicle (other than truck-tractor).
As more and more "private" vehicles violate this, the enforcement will be increased. Years ago no "private" vehicles ever got close to weight, lenght, or width restrictions, so enforcement was directed solely to the commercial trucks. Today with more and more personal trucks and RVs abusing the limits....well we bring it upon ourselves.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

65 feet is also the federal limit which applies to Interstates and the National Highway system (USxx route numbers).

But I think his question was "how likely am I to get caught" rather than "what is the law".
Old 02-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the chance to speak with a 32 year law enforcement veteran this past weekend and asked him the specific question "how likely are RVers going to be to be stopped and cited for overweight, over length, etc." While his answer is based on his experience here it Texas, I suspect that it could apply elsewhere. Here is roughly what he said:
- RVers as a whole do not cause accidents and are not the target of law enforcement activities. This is in contrast to campaigns against DWI, stolen vehicles, road rage, etc.
- he had cited his share of RVers but all were for moving violations (speeding, traffic signals)
- even in an accident, overweight or overlength would not be a consideration. He said that since neither of these would be the direct cause of the accident, their exsitence would likely not even be included on a police report. (Don't yell at me - I'm just the messenger)

He did agree with me that some towns, cities and states have moved police activity to the revenue column from the saftey column and, like here in the Texas speed trap towns, if it were a slow revenue day, all bets were off regarding what might be observed and cited. The likelyhood is high, however, that a revenue based LEO is going to be focused on speeding and red lights and may not even remember the regulations for RVs, let alone how to enforce them.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #11

I agree with chasfm11.
City, county, and regular DPS will not mess with lenght and weight much. That said...Texas DPS has special "weights and measures" troopers that will stop and cite anything in the catagory of "you gotta be kidding". This catagory is not limited to RVs but is anything that stands out as grossly overloaded or obviously too long, towing doubles incorrectly, ect... Eight feet too long in Texas will most likely get a cite if a weights & measure trooper sees you. Local Law wont even give it a second look. Speaking from 18 years experience as Texas Police Officer (and no I'm not weights & measures but I know several).

Weights & measures troopers recieve special training and they are dispersed throughout the state to specifically work weights & measures. Mainly they police the trucking industry but with more and more personal vehicles on the road ignoring the regulations, they look at everybody. The day will come in the future that RVs and anyone pulling trailers will be required to stop at scales if we keep ignoring the weight limits and we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Overlength could well be a factor if a civil lawsuit (liability insurance claim) arises from operation of the vehicle. It is never wise to give the opposing lawyers an opening they can pry at.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
I've never heard of anybody being stopped however I would think the liability for being over length in the case of an accident may be worth looking into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has anyone had difficulty in registering an RV longer than that state's limit?

Has anyone had difficulty in insuring an RV longer than that state's limit?

Has anyone ever been in an accident with an oversize rig? Was length an additional legal issue?
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
In Arizona it's 55 feet total combined length.
Here's something else to think about that probobly no one has even thought about: All vehicles over 96" are illigal in width plus mirrors. The 102" wide bodys are coming out of the factories illigal to begin with.Add awnings and mirrors and if the locals ae slow,you could be stopped for good!
Something to ponder, Huh!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote