Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Too much play in Steering--96 Monaco Dynasty

Anyone have suggestions on how they fixed the "play" in their steering? Someone told us about bushings but we're not sure that's our problem. It has about 45,000 miles on it. 1996 Monaco Dynasty Diesel 38'
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AARONDENISE View Post
Anyone have suggestions on how they fixed the "play" in their steering? Someone told us about bushings but we're not sure that's our problem. It has about 45,000 miles on it. 1996 Monaco Dynasty Diesel 38'
Thanks!
You should use leveling jacks or floor jack and jack stands to raise front end to check for play in front components. If everything is tight, then look to the steering box for a screw with locknut. Loosen locknut then turn screw in about 1/8 a turn. With wheels off ground, check steering from lock to lock to be sure nothing is binding. If not, then turn screw tighter another 1/8 turn and check steering. If it is binding, back off on screw 1/2 the amount you tightened and check for binding again.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been working on this 'play in the steering' from the first day we bought our coach. I think I spent more money than I needed to in an attempt to solve the problem. I now own the new bushings for the suspension, but winter has closed in on me and I won't be able to install them for a while.

I do know that if you tighten the adjustment on the steering box too much, you will notice that the steering wheel will not want to return to center position on its own after turning a corner. Then the adjustment screw will need to be loosened back a little.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

I was told they all wander more than a automobile. I know mine you have to correct your steering and keep your eyes on the road a lot more than a car. Its the only one I've driven. Had it checked out everything okay
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Having the wheel Bearings tightened to the correct specs helped me significantly.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I had very loose steering in my current MH when I first got it. Replaced front shocks and tires and had all front checked and it was all good. Steering unit is a Saginaw 710. No adjustment available. Had that re-built and it made a substantial difference. Good luck with yours. Sometimes the cure for these problems can be illusive.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

With the engine running have someone turn the wheel back and forth, look for parts that are loose buy trying to hold them from moving. Start at the u joints and work your way out to the tie rod ends., which should rotate but not go up and down. If everything is tight jackit up and check the king pins and wheel bearings.45,000 miles should not wear out those parts but who knows. Check the sterring box like some else said and check the mount to the frame. the shocks and tirepressure and alignment . goodluck
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Aarondenise it would help if you defined what you meant by "play" in the steering. Do you mean that you can turn te steering wheel back and forth and not change the direction of the front tires OR do you mean the motorhome wanders back and forth in the lane and you have to constantly be correcting it?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #9

By "Play" I mean..you can turn the steering wheel side to side quite a bit before it starts actually moving the tires at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AARONDENISE View Post
By "Play" I mean..you can turn the steering wheel side to side quite a bit before it starts actually moving the tires at all.
If you are not able to check this out yourself, this is definitely a job for a truck mechanic. Not only is it tiring to drive with this condition, it also could be dangerous. Get it looked at if you can't do as I suggested in post #2.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Good that should limit some of the suggestions you are getting. A lot of 1990's motorhomes had what is called a Bell Crank that the output of the steering box went directly to and the tie rod connected it to the drag link. These Bell Crank units are notorious in wearing out and giving you steering play. There is an after market unit that has been redesigned. If you have one it is bolted to the frame on the opposite side of the frame from the steering box.

Take a look at this and see if you have anything like it
http://www.hendersonslineup.com/prod...ank-ss100.html
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

I own a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution and also drive semi (MACK) over the road. Rear tire pressure also as some to do with it. UPS runs 100 psi cold pressure and when they replace tires the tire guys always leave them low and makes my Mack wonder all over the road. Just some thought. Have mine on MH at 100 psi.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Good that should limit some of the suggestions you are getting. A lot of 1990's motorhomes had what is called a Bell Crank that the output of the steering box went directly to and the tie rod connected it to the drag link. These Bell Crank units are notorious in wearing out and giving you steering play. There is an after market unit that has been redesigned. If you have one it is bolted to the frame on the opposite side of the frame from the steering box.

Take a look at this and see if you have anything like it
Bell Crank for Freightliner XC and Magnum Chassis
Mike,
He doesn't have the bell crank. His is same as mine, the Roadmaster series S chassis, and probably same as yours too, except yours is tag axle.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gormie mine drives as good as my car. It goes down the road without any effort to steer, if I would take my hand off the wheel it goes straight as an arrow. I think it has a lot to do with what chassis you have and if everything is aligned right. As for the OP check the u-joints in the steering shaft as they might get missed on a grease job. JMO Jim

Tags
monaco