Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Buy your first one last. Our first and only vehicle rv was our 38' MH. We are in our 11tth year with the rig and still enjoying it.

You will learn to handle your 42' very quickly. It is a quality rig in my opinion.
+1 here.

Only thing I'd toss in here is a 42 foot, WITH toad, is over 50 feet long.

Question really is, and you can have/retrofit darned near any thing you want. But unless you intend to have the unit as your 'first home' how much do you need? Ask that as my first was a 32 foot Fleetwood and IF I'd known then what I know now, I'd have made two (only two) significant changes. Would have cost me about $5,000 ... and I'd still be driving same. (GMC engine, a hell of a lot more powerful than the Ford V10 and the bedroom slide.)

Second, one I have is a 36 foot .. or if you will, 4' longer, but every thing went up to a huge-larger scale. Used unit but previous owner put ever 'bell and whistle' you could imagine into the thing. And I do mean 'everything.'

Much of it? Could you care less?Well ... truth be told a 'Man flick' on surround sound speaker system is kind of cool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Only thing I'd toss in here is a 42 foot, WITH toad, is over 50 feet long.

Question really is, and you can have/retrofit darned near any thing you want. But unless you intend to have the unit as your 'first home' how much do you need? .
Actually, I'll bet he's >60 feet long w/toad.

Personal needs vary but these folks are purchasing a rig to full time in. It's rare to run into a full timer who tells you that they wish they had a smaller rig.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrello4
Greetings

My DW and I will be going out this morning to drive and possibly purchase our very first RV. We hope to be fulltiming in 2-3 years. Also, my wife has some medical conditions which make it mandatory that we find an RV that is as smooth traveling as possible. We have decided on a Class A.

We are currently looking at a 2004 Monaco Dynasty, 42' with a king sized bed (one of our must-haves) The front passenger chair is a "buddy chair" which I had never seen before (1 1/2 normal width) but will be perfect for her.

I had never envisioned getting something this big or nice but it seems a good fit for us. The tag axle increased the maintenance costs but is probably worth it for the extra stability and carrying capacity. Any thoughts?

We are very happy to be new members of this forum and look forward to many interesting exchanges as we climb aboard the learning curve.

Darrell, Cindi and Snickers (the dog)
I wouldn't worry about the the length, most of it's behind you haha. Actually started with 32' and just got 36' with a tag axle. Also often haul 28' trailer behind both. Haven't noticed any difference with the length but I am loving the tag. Much more stability with wind and passing semis. With the 32' it was almost scary sometimes but hardly noticeable with the tag. Also seems like much firmer braking

If you are a confidant driver I think you will have no problem getting used to that big outfit. I am also jealous. Sounds like a great setup
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #18

Oh ya watch that tail-swing and you have to start looking up more. I clipped the eves of my garage and scrapped the roof early on when pulling away to sharply. Also have had a few run ins with trees and branches
Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #19

As they say in the yachting world, nothing beats water line.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
That sounds very valuable PoppaSmurf - where should I look to find such a class? My understanding is that no special licensing is required for RV's in my state (OH) so I doubt there are any RV specific classes around.
You're right that OH doesn't appear to have any requirements for licensing or endorsement. If you're curious to know what they normally cover, here's the manual for Manitoba (there are probably others but this is the only one I know of online)

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/AirBrakeMa...alComplete.pdf

Part of it refers to trailers with air brakes so you can probably safely skip those. You should know the steps to a pre-trip check (and do it every time you drive) and you should have general idea how the brakes work and what happens in case of failure.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
We worked our way up from a 32' 5er, 36' 5er, 40' 5er, then a 42' MH. Wished we would have jumped in to the 42' to begin with. Yes, we have a few scratches. You should expect them too. But comfort, convenience, storage, and floor plan has out weighed anything else as we spend more time each year in our coach.

Good advice on the driving school. Check with Lazydays in Florida between Lakeland and St. Pete.

Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #22

My first was a 45ft. Only problem I had was rounding a 6" post. You only do that once.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #23

Darrell,

You should officially verify your state's driver's license requirements before you buy. A lot of states don,t require a CDL but do require a Non-CDL Class A or B license to drive a vehicle over 26000 lbs. You may have to take a test (written and driving) in the coach. A lot of information on the internet is out of date!
Good luck on whatever you purchase.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Darrell,

You should officially verify your state's driver's license requirements before you buy. A lot of states don,t require a CDL but do require a Non-CDL Class A or B license to drive a vehicle over 26000 lbs. You may have to take a test (written and driving) in the coach. A lot of information on the internet is out of date!
Good luck on whatever you purchase.
Not any states will require a CDL but, a lot of states will require an upgrade to your license to drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #25

Wow, so many responses so fast. Thank you for all of your insights - it helps me to feel we made the correct decision. I will be posting pictures just as soon as the rig is ours. By the way, I found the driving experience quite nice - really nothing like I was expecting. Yes, I have to get used to the overhanging trees and I kept hitting the brake and the gas ( er..diesel) pedal at the same time ( they are very close together ) but all in all a very comfortable drive. We took it on side streets, a winding road and the freeway and.. WE SURVIVED lol

Barlow46 If you could PM me your checklist, that would be great - gives me a place to start.

Again, thank you all for making us feel welcome

Darrell, Cindi & Snickers
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
JSW

My big mistake was buying too small. I didn't think I wanted/needed a 40+ DP, I was wrong. Now I would love to have a 42 footer with a tag, but I will have to stay with my present 35 foot DP. I wish I had listened to the advise here and "bought my last motorhome first." Well, maybe I did.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #27
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
You're right that OH doesn't appear to have any requirements for licensing or endorsement. If you're curious to know what they normally cover, here's the manual for Manitoba (there are probably others but this is the only one I know of online)

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/AirBrakeMa...alComplete.pdf

Part of it refers to trailers with air brakes so you can probably safely skip those. You should know the steps to a pre-trip check (and do it every time you drive) and you should have general idea how the brakes work and what happens in case of failure.
Thanks Michelb! The manual alone will be very helpful. I'm taking delivery on the coach tomorrow and will ask the dealer about local courses.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #28

My first and only coach is 43'. It was a bit intimidating at first. I got driving advice and it made the learning curve faster. I have always taken the philosophy that it's better to be safe than sorry. I always drive at a pace I feel comfortable with i.e slower when it's raining or foggy. Learning to drive it will come to you, and you will be glad with the longer length.